Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2012, 07:57 AM   #1

1969 31' Sovereign
Missoula , Montana
Original tongue jack...welded on, or not?

I have spend hours reviewing threads on this forum on this topic. I still do not have a definitive answer to my question. The bottom plate is obviously welded to the frame, but do these welds need to be cot out before I can remove and replace the jack? I have attached photos of the OEM '69 setup. HELP PLEASE.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120817_075634.png
Views:	144
Size:	339.3 KB
ID:	166033

Name:	ForumRunner_20120817_075653.png
Views:	135
Size:	298.8 KB
ID:	166034

Name:	ForumRunner_20120817_075706.png
Views:	144
Size:	447.6 KB
ID:	166035
adamperine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
The jack should only be attached via the three bolts that are visible on the top. The bottom plate is a stabilizer and is not attached to the jack under normal circumstances. The bottom plate, or welds do not need to be cut unless the PO did something unusual.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Did it have bolts in it that you took out on the top? If so, it should just slide up and out the top. My 68 doesn't have the extra looking plate that is welded on yours, if the tube of the jack stand is welded to this plate you will have to cut it out..

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I agree with Kevin, once the bolts are removed the jack should come out from the top. The original bottom plate is to stabilize the jack only. That said, who knows what a previous owner has done.

The jacks may fit very tightly in the bottom plate hole and rust could be holding yours in. Very liberally douse yours with PB blaster over a period of several days. Then put supports under the tongue frame rails about an inch below them, put weight on the jack lifting it an inch or so, and jump on the tongue frame. That may break the rusty jack loose from the bottom.

You could also take your trailer to Rocky Mountain Truck and Trailer, out off Broadway near the Airport. They replaced my coupler and are very capable honest, and inexpensive. I would visit them first if you have any problems and make an appointment to have them look at it. Good people.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:02 AM   #5

1969 31' Sovereign
Missoula , Montana
Thanks a lot. The tube is definitely not welded....just the bottom plat, so I will try putting weight on it after PB blasting. Good to know about the trailer shop too.
adamperine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #6
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
As others have noted, the jack can be quite "stuck" due to rust. The fit is quite tight, and any corrosion will make it difficult to remove.

I found that supporting the tongue w/ wooden blocks and then extending the jack so that it lifts the trailer a bit helped.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:14 AM   #7
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
And, depending upon what you are replacing it with......

I replaced my original Super Jack last season (very sad to see it go) with something more modern. What I found is that the diameter of the newer ones is slightly larger. So I had to grind the welds to remove the round support from underneath. Just an FYI if you are replacing.

Laterz

Just because you are unique, doesn't mean you are useful.
Dumpster is offline   Reply With Quote