Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2018, 12:19 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Opinion Fantastic Fan or MaxxAir?

I am sure this has been discussed somewhere before... but we are planning on adding a vent fan to our 1963 Bambi. Currently we have a vent we open/close, but a fan would be nice sometimes. I am concerned about sound... is one louder than the other? I like quiet.

Our other consideration is both brands do not make a fan in the size of our vent, which is about 1/3 longer than the fan, so trying to figure out the best adaptation.... or should we go with a solar fan similar to those found in boats?

Your suggestions and opinions are welcome! Thanks!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
One of the things that bugged me about the remote controlled MaxxAir was that you couldn’t have it running and then turn off the fan leaving the lid open. This was a common thing we’d want to do in the evening going to bed with the fan running and then someone would want to turn off the fan in the middle of the night. The blasted thing would wake up everyone while it insisted on closing the lid when you turned off the fan!

I haven’t noticed much noise difference between the two so it comes down to the features you want.

If you get the fantastic fan you might want to get a Maxxair cover for it so you can open it in the rain or when driving. It may also be different Maxxair fans don’t have that annoying bug I described.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:28 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
One of the things that bugged me about the remote controlled MaxxAir was that you couldn’t have it running and then turn off the fan leaving the lid open.
Simple solution— don't get the remote controlled model. Unless you physically can't raise your arm overhead, it's no big deal to open and close the lid manually or turn the fan on and off manually, or adjust the fan speed manually. And with manual operation, you can leave the lid open with the fan off— or close the lid with the fan on and use it as a tiny ceiling fan to circulate the inside air. And you can manually set the cover for any intermediate position between fully open and fully closed, if you like.

I can't tell you which fan is louder when running, MaxxFan or Fantastic Fan. What I can tell you is that the shape of the MaxxFan cover allows it to be left open in a howling thunderstorm without a single drop of water finding its way inside, if it's installed properly. That ability means a lot in my book. The only time I ever got water inside through my MaxxFan was when I stopped at a Blue Beacon Truck Wash and forgot to close the cover— one of the employees accidentally aimed his spray wand directly into the cover's rear-facing grille while cleaning the roof.

The MaxxFan's variable speed control allows you to set it to what I call "Tornado," a really fast speed that will suck the air out fast enough for you to feel the wind on your face. I take advantage of it when I get flying insects inside my Airstream. I turn the fan on very high, remove the screen, open the screened windows on both sides to let fresh air in, and wait for the flying critters to get sucked out by the fan. Then I put the fan's screen back in. When the fan is set to "Tornado" it is most definitely LOUD, but I only need to run it that way for a few minutes to extract the bugs, and once I put the screen back in I can slow it down to a quieter setting.
Old 01-30-2018, 04:40 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
And with manual operation, you can leave the lid open with the fan off— or close the lid with the fan on and use it as a tiny ceiling fan to circulate the inside air. And you can manually set the cover for any intermediate position between fully open and fully closed, if you like.
Unless they have changed something within the past year, this is incorrect. The original problem still exists, if you press the button to turn the fan off, it will close the cover and THEN you must manually turn the crank to open it.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
You turn the fan off- the lid closes. Then open the lid. No big deal.

IMO, MaxxFans are way better because they don't automatically close at the hint of rain or heavy dew. Changing FFs to Maxx is the first mod I do.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:51 AM   #6

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
Unless they have changed something within the past year, this is incorrect. The original problem still exists, if you press the button to turn the fan off, it will close the cover and THEN you must manually turn the crank to open it.
Doesn't on mine. On mine the cover is strictly controlled by a manual crank. Only the fan itself is electric.

I've had the same MaxxFan for six years now. I know how it works.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:01 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
10 years with a couple of Fantastic Fans. They work fine. But I would go with the Max Air. I like the hood and the fact that they will run when it rains. I do not think Fantastic Fan is quite the company they used to be either.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:25 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Maxxair hands down. Ive got two deluxe models with no remote. I didnt want a remote. Lid stays open whether fan is on or off. All manual. For several years now I don't understand why anyone would buy FF over Maxxair. Plus when the lid is closed it's not so ugly from the outside if the FF has the Maxxair cover. Ive got a Classic Motorhome and we use them a great deal when on the highway.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:46 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Originally, didn't FF have an unlimited lifetime warrant they were sold and than things changed?
I had a lid and motor replaced at no charge.
There is a cover that can added to the FF so that the top may be left open in the rain.
One bad thing with the FF is that in humid weather the lid may keep cycling open and closed. It's a pita in the middle of the nite.
I cannot say about the Max as I have no experience with them.
mj
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:57 AM   #10
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
MaxxAir all the way

I was always a Fantastic fan (pun intended) in my 3 former Airstream trailers, but I changed my mind when I bought the 2014.5 Interstate with the MaxxAir fan. I wouldn't go back to the Fantastic, even though their customer service was great. They sent me a reversing switch free and pasts several other times.

I second everything Protag has posted in this thread. I don't have to worry about rain or whether the lid is open or closed while traveling. There is no need for a remote since I can simply reach up and control it.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:03 AM   #11
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
Not on mine. The cover on mine is totally manual. I run the fan in covered storage, where I often use the coach as a sort of "man cave." When I turn it off, the lid stays open ... I leave it open when stored to keep the interior fresh except in freezing weather.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:46 AM   #12
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We have two reversible FF, each with a FF Ultra-Breeze vent cover. (We upgraded to reversible via a new control board, and chose the FF covers vs. the Max-Air covers since the FF covers were made for our fans.) We do not have remote controls. In most circumstances the fans have been great.

We almost never get rain in via the covers, though if the wind is blowing just right during a whomping downpour, we find it's wise to let the moisture sensors close them.

The screen mesh over the fans is fine, but not fine enough to keep no-see-ums out. Thus, in some areas if we open the vent but do not operate the fan, they would get inside. So, if we camp in areas with no-see-ums, we either keep the fan running (exhaust mode) or close it.

Under just the right (wrong?) circumstances, the vent will close due to condensation on the sensor. If the vent closes automatically due to moisture on the sensor, it does not seem to open again unless we intervene. So we've never seen any open/close/open/close behavior.

Is it better than a Max Air fan? Who knows? Seems like owners of both are mostly happy. So, if it were me, I would price out both solutions with storm covers (I believe one of the Max Air fans comes with its own cover that opens/closes with the fan.) and buy the one that (a) fits and (b) gives me the features I want at the best price. In other words, you're really not at risk of making a bad decision here.

Oh, and one more thing: Your fans, regardless of brand, are going to get dusty inside and you may want to clean it from inside the Airstream. If you're feeling brave, it's also a good idea to take off (or open up) the roof cover now and then from the outside and clean the dust up there as well. So, maybe choose one where you find it relatively easy to remove the interior screen and clean the fan from the inside. If you go on the roof to clean, you're also going to want a cover that removes and replaces (or at least opens up enough to clean it out) quickly and easily so as to minimize your time up there.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:27 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We have 2 Maxxairs with integrated covers, and have had them in previous trailers. One is manual open/close and turn on/off fan. The other has a remote. Why remote? I'm too short to reach the rear one and have to climb onto the bed to open/close it. The front one, I can JUST reach it. Remote will close the cover when we turn off the fan. We just reopen it. We like that we can keep them open all summer when the trailer is in storage, and have never had water in the trailer even in extreme downpours.
Maxxair customer service has been great, as in when one of ours broke. Parts were sent out free with no issues.
We've had friends with Fantastics, who had the rain sensor fail, and got water in.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:26 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
Fantastic fans used to have great customer service. I understand they were bought by the corp giant Thor. We'll see how it goes from now.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:57 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
Maxxairs.We just put 2 in with remotes. The remote can open lid without turning fan on. My FFs were closing because of dew, all the time and they were not reversing either. We also like the lower profile on the roof when closed as opposed to putting another cover of FF.
DoublTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:24 AM   #16
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoublTrouble View Post
Maxxairs.We just put 2 in with remotes. The remote can open lid without turning fan on. My FFs were closing because of dew, all the time and they were not reversing either. We also like the lower profile on the roof when closed as opposed to putting another cover of FF.
Gotta say, I do like the low profile of the Maxxair fans with the integrated cover. Especially with solar panels on the roof, because the low profile when not in use would probably reduce shading on the panels. If I had to replace either FF for some reason, I would seriously consider that model.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:33 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari FB SE
1995 30' Excella
2004 22' International CCD
Flora Vista , Alaska/New Mexico
It sounds like you have all the info. you need to decide on brand size.
I had a 1970 Avion that had the same problem with the fan size. I went down to a tank fabrication shop and had them cut a 1/4" Alum. plate that would cover the hole. And then cut out the correct size opening for the fan, make it big enough to lap over about 1" on all sides. I used 502 SSW self leveling sealant, and rev nets to pull it in. I made a wood trim on the inside to make up for the size difference of the fan.
Melissa Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:26 PM   #18
Don McKelvay

1994 34' Limited
London , Ontario
Actually Fantastic Vent was bought out by Dometic and their plant in MI was moved to Elkhart, IL. I was fortunate to get access to the old plant after it had been sold and only a couple of bits and pieces were left. For many years, and I think most Airstreamers who dealt with the old Fantastic, family run Company, would say they 'were' the most reliable, helpful and best to deal with. There were lifetime warranties and lifetime buyers who would not buy anything else. Not true today, no lifetime warranties - if something goes bad 'you need to buy a new part'. When my Fantastic bite the dust I will buy other brands but in all probability the Maxxair.
WBCCI #205
AIR #42
1994 34' Limited
2004 GMC 2500 HD
Hensley Hitch
Don McKelvay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 02:29 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
One thing I noticed that hasn't been mentioned.. If you get the MaxxAir with the integrated cover, be advised that you will need extra clearance to the rear of the fan due to the cover. Can't remember the exact amount of space you will need but could be important depending on where stuff is located on the roof.
Didn't realize this when I bought one, couldn't use it due to location of the TV antenna.
tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 02:46 PM   #20

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinbender View Post
One thing I noticed that hasn't been mentioned.. If you get the MaxxAir with the integrated cover, be advised that you will need extra clearance to the rear of the fan due to the cover. Can't remember the exact amount of space you will need but could be important depending on where stuff is located on the roof.
That shouldn't be a problem for the OP, who says that his present vent opening is about 1/3 larger than either the FF or the MA. If he buys the MA and mounts it as far forward as he can in the existing opening, the overhang on the cover should still be over the rear of the present opening.