Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2015, 09:39 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1982 27' Excella
Huntsville , Texas
Opening the Zip Dee Awning

Purchase a 1982 Excella and wanted to open the awning and see what condition it was in. I watched this and it made it look easy.
How to Open and Care for Your Airstream Zip Dee Awning - Airstream
Everything went well until I hit the last step and it showed the gut pull the pin and lift the awning (except for the part about roll the strap up and place it in the awning - went to work on the other end and the awning slammed shut). When I went to pull the pin and lift the awning the pin pulled but the awning would not awning pole would not extend. I sprayed it with penetrating oil but to no avail. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong or need to do to lift the awning???
GMarugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
It's likely that parts of the awning arms have gotten very badly stuck from lack of use over the years. You can disassemble the arms, clean them up, lube them with silicone spray (the kind one uses on patio doors) and then re-assemble the whole thing.

Good luck!
Old 08-21-2015, 10:10 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
my , house
Here is a video that that shows how to straighten the arms. Not your situation, but part of the video shows how to remove the arms that need to be lubed. Might make it easier to lube if removed. Looks pretty simple.

bwpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:07 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Sometimes these stud pins fail. Over the past 2 years I have replaced 3 of them. Go onto the Zip Dee site and determine the ones you need - keep in mind that there are pin lock studs and ratchet studs. When you place your order, buy spares for the old ones that have not as yet broken (they will!!).
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:13 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1982 27' Excella
Huntsville , Texas
I do not think the awning had been opened in a number of years. I was really surprised to see the material in good shape. Both sides of the awning are doing the same thing! I thought that it might be the pins put since they pull out and appear to be intact, I could not see how it could be a failure mode for the pins??
Old 08-21-2015, 12:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Arm with claw on end must be placed on roller after pulling awning out and before pulling pins to raise awning. There is nothing to hold awning open before engaging ams with claw on end.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 02:01 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Basecamp
Greenacres , Washington
Caution! when disassembling a Zip Dee awning, be aware of the end arm that is spring loaded. I learned the hard way.
vhaalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 07:10 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1982 27' Excella
Huntsville , Texas
I take it that the pins you pull on are just threaded into the arm? The pins with the caps came off easy but the others with the pins do not want to budge?
Old 08-22-2015, 11:16 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
BTW, do you have the latch built into the roller - on my 1987 Excella, there is a latch which locks the roller (prevents it from turning) located near the end of the front of the tube. You need to use the rod to unhook or release the latch. I'll try to get a photo of this later and upload it. That kind of latch is not used on the newer (post 1989) awnings.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 01:07 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1982 27' Excella
Huntsville , Texas
Zip Dee Awning

Some of the bolts on the awning have a white powder ( I am assuming that this is aluminum oxide) making them difficult to remove. All of the pole sections are stuck together. While There is none on the outside of the poles, I am assuming that the inside of all the poles are stuck together with the same oxide.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:14 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhaalen View Post
Caution! when disassembling a Zip Dee awning, be aware of the end arm that is spring loaded. I learned the hard way.
I had to laugh. I too learned the hard way that the end was spring loaded. Tore my hand up. Funny when it was over and to add insult to injury, I couldn't get in the trailer to get bandaids because the door locked by itself. Four hour round trip to get the spare key taught me another lesson so I guess I learned two things that evening. Always carry a key and/or hide a spare and when you pull that arm out it is spring loaded and will beat the crap out of your hand.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:06 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMarugg View Post
Some of the bolts on the awning have a white powder ( I am assuming that this is aluminum oxide) making them difficult to remove. All of the pole sections are stuck together. While There is none on the outside of the poles, I am assuming that the inside of all the poles are stuck together with the same oxide.
Based on this observation I would say that you have some serious corrosion issues. These are easily addressed by a thorough cleaning and lubrication project. I would disassemble as much of the awning arm mechanism as you can and clean it up. I find the best lubricant to use is silicone spray the same type one would use on a sliding patio door. After you've done your major clean-up, lubricate the arms once and awhile depending on usage. We use our Airstream for several months at a time and are thus opening and closing the awnings every few days and I find that lubricating every few weeks to once per month does the trick.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:56 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1982 27' Excella
Huntsville , Texas
Awning

I appreciate all the words of wisdom. When you purchase an 1982 model you know you are in for a learning experience. Part of what I liked about the AS is that other makes would have be scrap many years earlier.