Old 01-18-2008, 10:01 AM   #99
Rivet Master

It's not that hard

For some reason, we always want to "reinvent" the wheel. You figure, there are a bunch of people that get paid a bunch of money to figure out many of the problems that "we" reinvent. If you are "really" going so far off the grid, the bushes and behind a tree are a great place to go take care of the "biz". Just make sure for the bigger job, dig a hole and recover. As for water, water storage always works best in the middle of the rig, that way you don't have a big change in the ball weight from being fully loaded with water and coming back dry with dry tank (Which could make a big difference with the tow rig you plan to use). It's best to try an keep that weight the same. Stove, frig, etc... work best in the middle "unless" to have off setting weight at the other end. Remember, common "off the shelf" products are far better to have when something breaks in the middle of the trip. Go with some, special toy or product, it breaks, you could be waiting a long time for a part of replacement.

Going with a bunch of special stuff can cost you big $$$ in the end with repair if it breaks. Remember this one thing and you will do well,

"KISS"

"Keep it simple stupid"

and

7 P's

"Prior Planning and Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance"

And that's all I got to say about that!

Old 01-18-2008, 10:34 AM   #100
Idiot Savant

1967 22' Safari
Auburn , Alabama
haha - yes - I have a lot of work to do on the project before I should start thinking about refridgeration, but . . . there isn't much I can do at my desk at work during the slow weeks to help that along. I have read much in the floor replacement threads and am still confused on things, but don't want to ask questions until I get into it (because I think most of my confusion will be cleaned up by looking at the airstream in person)

This is an interesting find (thank you Sergi)

Note: compressor base can be removed to reduce height to 19", the compressor base can remote mounted up to 1.5 feet away)
Nova Kool, refrigerators, freezers, Marine, RV, Truck#

in hind sight I wonder if I really need a freezer and a refridgerator.
perhaps my solution should be a small insulated box to put bagged ice in (kiss right?) because I only really lament the loss of ice (I generally try not to freeze my meat and just eat it before the sell by date anyway)

1988 C20 Suburban 454
1967 Safari 22' (like a fish)
"genius, talent, and luck have very little to do with success. The Successful all have one thing in common - persistance"
- Melon
Cursh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:07 AM   #101
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursh
I generally try not to freeze my meat and just eat it before the sell by date anyway
Sell by date??? I thought you were boondocking?? LOL!

The NovaKools are a great option. I am putting one in my trailer. I think they can hook you up with the "stuff" you need to fashion any cooling/freezing configuiration you want.

You might consider just a freezer. Most items that folks put in the fridge really don't need to be refrigerated. In addition, you could construct an insulated box that uses a thermostatically contolled fan to "borrow" cold air from the freezer to keep it cool.
http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:09 AM   #102
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
If you have just a freezer, you can always make your own ice for a separate insulated "ice-chest" for your perishables.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:27 AM   #103
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by byamcaravanner
Sell by date??? I thought you were boondocking?? LOL!
You need to contact your state DNR.

In Minnesota we put a "use by" date on all critters. For big critters (moose, elk, deer) it's an ear tag. Small critters (racoons and squirls) it's stamped into the cheek.

Bits and pieces of roadkill should not be consumed if the meat is harder than a frisbee. If it passes the frisbee test, don't eat it!
Old 01-18-2008, 12:02 PM   #104
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
The lofted bed is concerning me - but perhaps a part of prepping the thing for towing will just involve rolling the mattress and tying it down between the axles. I feel like the rest of the weight added won't be as much of an issue, but then again, I will have to really start mocking it up and shooting ideas off people who know more than me (which is a point that I am not at all at yet)
One thing to think about relative to keep the weight in a lofted bed would be to consider using an air mattress. There are units available now days that are designed for camping and have electric pumps that run on 12volts. Others run on 110volts. Of course a manually operated pump does not require any electricity. It seems like you could even make a loft that folded up somehow if you used an inflatable mattress. The mattress would not take up much space when not in use.

Malcolm
Old 01-20-2008, 03:43 PM   #105
Idiot Savant

1967 22' Safari
Auburn , Alabama
Steve - think "urban boondocking"

Thermostatically controlled fan is an interesting solution as well.

Malcom - I like the way you think. - The odd shape of the beds might be the biggest problem there, but then again - I'm months away from trying to sleep in the thing anyway so I have plenty of time to tweak a solution.

1988 C20 Suburban 454
"genius, talent, and luck have very little to do with success. The Successful all have one thing in common - persistance"
- Melon
Old 01-20-2008, 07:26 PM   #106
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Malcom - I like the way you think. - The odd shape of the beds might be the biggest problem there, but then again - I'm months away from trying to sleep in the thing anyway so I have plenty of time to tweak a solution.
I don't think anyone that knows me would say that I am at all afraid to think out of the box...
Perhaps the shape of an air mattress could be modified. It might be that just clamping off parts of the mattress so that air would not go into that part would be enough. Otherwise it might not be that hard to cut and glue to get the shape you need. I wonder if there are any companies out there that make custom shaped air mattresses?

Malcolm
Old 01-20-2008, 07:32 PM   #107
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Cursh,

Check into Thermarest camping matresses. They self inflate, are pretty comfy, and are extremely light (Made for hiking).

Steve
Old 01-22-2008, 09:26 AM   #108
Idiot Savant

1967 22' Safari
Auburn , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by malconium
I don't think anyone that knows me would say that I am at all afraid to think out of the box...
Perhaps the shape of an air mattress could be modified. It might be that just clamping off parts of the mattress so that air would not go into that part would be enough. Otherwise it might not be that hard to cut and glue to get the shape you need. I wonder if there are any companies out there that make custom shaped air mattresses?

Malcolm
For sure - I wasn't discounting this as an option at all - As soon as you mentioned this I thought of those infomercials where they heat seal ziplock bags with that little hand tool. =P

At least for the mattress up top I think clamping would work just fine (although I would rather have a more elegant solution) as the bed should be only slightly effected by the curve of the endcaps.

Anyway - Saw Bahbu again this weekend and decided to throw all the interior panels back inside as I'm sure I will be able to reuse something.

If anyone wants a 22 safari bathtub/cabinetry shoot me a PM I will let them have it for cheap/free to atone for the sins I am going to commit with this trailer. Pacify the vintage airstream gods if you will. (toilette is up for grabs too, again, not looking for money, just want to know its going to get used)

They are available to be picked up about 30 min south of Dayton OH

Some of the interior is cracked (not sure if its worth repairing) but the tub is in good shape and some of the cabinents are as well.

I need the endcaps because I have no desire to custom fab something up there (they will be covered, but I will need something to attach the coverings to)

1988 C20 Suburban 454
- Melon
Old 01-22-2008, 10:13 AM   #109
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Always nice to see people giving away free parts. Karma to ya.

Steve
Old 01-22-2008, 10:27 AM   #110
3 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120
The first question never occurred to me. I guess my glass is half full.

To the second question, you could use what I do:

BOBgear | BOB Yak Trailer your best friend on a long cycling trip.
We agree on the bike trailer idea! BOB makes a nice product and there are other options. We have a couple of Burleys. www.burley.com

Mr RedSHED will tell you all about hauling a couple bags of mulch/manure for me with his bike trailer. The trailer handled it just fine and he got a nice workout! And yes, I believe that the last time we had the propane tank on our grill filled, he used the bike trailer. They are handy for grocerys, too. I suppose you could haul a couple bundles of firewood, as well.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:38 AM   #111
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
While I was cycling down the Pacific Coast Highway, I met a geologist in San Luis Obispo who used his BOB trailer to haul rock samples from the back country. He loaded that thing well beyond the specified limits and had nothing but praise for the trailers performance. I used mine cycling from Vancouver to Los Angeles with absolutley no problems at all. I'll never go back to panniers on a bike.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:33 PM   #112
Idiot Savant

1967 22' Safari
Auburn , Alabama
ALRIGHT! ill get/make a bike trailer.

I guess i DO have a flip flop and can gear down pretty easily if I need to. =P

1988 C20 Suburban 454
- Melon