Old 01-15-2008, 01:18 PM   #85
1 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Denton , Texas
I just have to ask a question.
The Museum of Modern Art NYC purchased an AS to add to its collection of all time great industrial designs. There is good reason for this. Trust me when I say that your unit has very good bones. Decades of trial and error, thousands of hours of hard work, and millions of miles of towing went into deciding what is needed with regard to form and function.
If there are design flaws in individual models that need to be addressed (70's rear baths etc.) you can be assured they have been discussed in this forum.
It seems to me that you really need to focus on your personal goals for this project and not overwhelm yourself with all the small stuff that you really don't need to reinvent (or rethink) at this time. Maybe later, as you gain experience.
After all, when you buy tires, I hope you won't spend a lot of your time deciding whether they actually need to be round or not. Pneumatic rubber ones will do just fine.
Forgive me. I'm just an old Art teacher who is used to writing critiques.

My question: What is a "real toilette"? Do you really intend to install a ceramic toilet with a flush tank and a heavy tank lid? Why? Inquiring minds want to know.

We're pulling for you--Hang in there.

Bill

Old 01-17-2008, 02:59 PM   #86
Idiot Savant

1967 22' Safari
Auburn , Alabama
Bill - The real toiletter will just be the bowl - everything else (lid - tank) will be hidden away and replaced. with a much lighter solution. (but lets be honest, thats something I might want, and just can't have, but its high enough on my desires list to look into. Call it a personal goal)
The lofted bed is concerning me - but perhaps a part of prepping the thing for towing will just involve rolling the mattress and tying it down between the axles. I feel like the rest of the weight added won't be as much of an issue, but then again, I will have to really start mocking it up and shooting ideas off people who know more than me (which is a point that I am not at all at yet)

Ben Lewis's much anticipated question of the day!

So I have been looking for a chest refridgerator to help elminate cold spill (if I want the opportunity to run this beast off the grid energy wise (solar) I am going to have to limit every aspect of my energy consumption - cold spill is the spill of cold air into the room when you open a cabinent style fridge)

ANYWAY - there is a smaller version . . . so I might downgrade.

but the real question is
Does anyone know if a freezer can be easily modified to produce warmer tempature?

This one has two "zones" with independent thermostadts.
the drawer can be set from 17degF to 26degF and the top is -10degF to 0degF

I would like to leave the bottom as it sits and adjust the top to be a fridge.

Random thought of the day (which would requre me to have a unit in my possession) would be to see how they are seperately controlled and just shut off the top, and attach the two. I'm pretty sure thats how my crappy mini fridge works (the freezer keeps the rest of the thing kinda cold, while freezing its little box)

Anyway - if anyone knows anything about these things/ has done something like this before - I would love to get some input on this.

(I know this is too soon and all, but I have the time, so I am just throwing out ideas as I get them)

Link to product page

1988 C20 Suburban 454
1967 Safari 22' (like a fish)
"genius, talent, and luck have very little to do with success. The Successful all have one thing in common - persistance"
- Melon
Cursh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:08 PM   #87
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
If you are off grid, wouldn't you want a fridge that runs off propane as well as electric?
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:06 PM   #88
Idiot Savant

1967 22' Safari
Auburn , Alabama
well - the way you are thinking of things - yes.

but where am I going to purchase propaine if society breaks down?

How am I going to get a propaine tank back to my airstream on my bicycle?

(the second question is more relevent than the first I would imagine)

1988 C20 Suburban 454
"genius, talent, and luck have very little to do with success. The Successful all have one thing in common - persistance"
- Melon
Old 01-17-2008, 05:15 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Ben,

Check out NovaKool. They offer a line of "off-grid" fridge/freezers that use a high efficiency DC compressor. You can get a good price on one at Backwoods Solar. You might also contact the Backwoods folks and chat about your ideas. They are into the "off-grid" lifestyle and would have some good insights.
http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:48 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
New Holland , Ohio
And perhaps if you play your marketing cards right and agree to some interiews/news stories (featuring the products, of course) when your project is done, you might be able to get the things you want for cheap or free!

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:15 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumatube
And perhaps if you play your marketing cards right and agree to some interiews/news stories (featuring the products, of course) when your project is done, you might be able to get the things you want for cheap or free!
Maybe Hensley Mfg would have some interest.
http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:02 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursh

The first question never occurred to me. I guess my glass is half full.

To the second question, you could use what I do:

BOBgear | BOB Yak Trailer Ė your best friend on a long cycling trip.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:02 PM   #93
1 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Denton , Texas
Just a suggestion: You have a limited amount of onboard fresh water and limited waste storage. A household flush tank uses the same amount of precious water whether you are flushing a teacup of urine or a full load. This will greatly restrict the amount of time you can stay independent. With a marine or RV type toilet and flush valve you have some control over how much water you use per flush.
Given that you have a limited amount of onboard fresh water, wouldn't it be a good thing if you could recycle your gray water for flushing purposes as opposed to water you need for drinking and cooking? I suspect you might need some kind of easily cleaned filter screen to take care of particles (cookie crumbs fish eyes etc.) that might be in your gray waste tank.

Sorry to be such a potty mouth, but if someone figures out how to do this, I might have a go at it myself.

Best,
Bill

Oh yes, there are marine and rv toilets with ceramic bowls.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:14 PM   #94
_

. , .
there are a variety of 'heads' that recycle the liquids...

without putting wash water into the mix.

there are also cassette toilets that require virtually no water and the cassettes can be changed as needed.

there are also incineration units that will fry poop!

beside IF the goal is to be THAT FAR off the gird, i see an outhouse in yer future...

the current rv fridges that run on propane are very well insulated and efficient.

a tank of lp can go WEEKS or longer if used just for 'chillin' and the occasional cooked roadkill.

each higher level of buyer perceived technology will cost multiples to trump the value of basic, reliable rv systems...

not suggesting pieinthesky isn't a noble goal...

but you've a long way to go with so many issues, repairs and so on, before adding the frosting.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:27 AM   #95
Idiot Savant

1967 22' Safari
Auburn , Alabama
Thanks for all the pointers guys.

back to reading full monte threads =)

(and that Bob's Yak Trailer is awesome, but costs $300 and weighs more than my bike, I think I'll make my own.)

1988 C20 Suburban 454
- Melon
Old 01-18-2008, 09:00 AM   #96
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
CERAMIC toilets

Ben,

Hereís a thread started by Byamcaravanner on circuit board controlled CERAMIC toilets made for the RV world.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f446...tml#post479261

The CONCERTO by Dometic installed in my 1976 Argosy is shown in post #5.

Sergei
Old 01-18-2008, 09:07 AM   #97
4 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursh

Cursh,

Just curious, are you really thinking of this unit becoming some sort of survivalist bug-out mechanism WTSHTF?

My wife and I have gone over this extensively -- there is a wildly different set of design problems between taking a few weeks off of the grid and managing a TEOTWAWKI event. I can share a couple of comments on that front, provided you are interested and the Mods donít think it will cause a group free-for-all.

--------------------------------------------------------
digger bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:23 AM   #98
1 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Denton , Texas
I agree with 2air'
The first priority get this rig stuck back together. There are plenty of options that can be pursued when the basics are out of the way. Save the fun stuff for last.
With regard to the question "Can I haul propane on my bicycle?": You bet you can! People in the rest of the world do just that every single day. You just need a third world bike or some kinda bike trailer, which (like alternative toilets) are already on the market.
Before you begin to lead yourself astray, ask yourself: Is what I am about to say or do the result of a feeling, a fact, or an opinion? All of us trip over this question every now and then. Maybe this will help add focus to future decisions. Good luck to you, Cursh.
Bye for now--I'm hitching up and heading to the lake! Hi Ho!

Bill

"Just the facts, Ma'am." -Joe Friday