Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursh View Post
so - the front of my safari is going to be very electronics heavy (1973 marantz 2015 and a 3d modeling design desktop PC (think heavy gaming computer I guess)) and I've started to look into patching into the 110V system. ... Do I need to get a bigger breaker box to handle all of this electricity? ...

Lastly I have something cycling on and off - its the fuse box next to my battery - every 8-20 seconds it clicks twice in the span of about a half a second and between the clicks all of the 12V lights dim. It just started happening (at least with this frequency) when I unplugged the 110V for the first time in about 2 months. ...It clicks if the 110V is plugged in and the battery is unplugged - it clicks if the 110V is unplugged and the battery is plugged in ...Cursh
Believe it or not, all that electronics is only going to add up to 300-400 Watts, so even when the volume is up to max and your ears are bleeding, you're only pulling about 3.5 amps at 110V. You circuits should be 15 amps, so that's not really a problem.

Your white wires should say "12/3 ... 600V" somewhere in the text, which is 110V wiring. These are capable of 20 amps. If they say "14/3", then it's good up to 15 amps.

The clicking is a 12V thermal circuit breaker which resets itself in about 30 seconds when it cools down. If it really is clicking at 1/2 second, it's supplying power to something that's pretty close to a short circuit. You need to fix this right away. These devices look like a small 1" black cube with two wires connected to it.

Most Airstreams have two of these--one goes to the tongue jack and the other goes to the tow vehicle charge line. Your symptoms of battery/100V don't make much sense, since the only effect on the 12V system from connecting the 110 is that the converter is powered up. I suspect it's clicking any time you have 12V power, from the battery or the converter. Is your tow vehicle connected?

Zep

Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:08 AM   #184
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
In my 67 24' Tradewind there are 3 12v circuit breakers. They are silver,about 1/2 by 1 inch, with two threaded terminals. On my Airstream the circuit breakers got weak from old age and would click off. I replaced all three. I found new ones at AutoZone for about $3 a piece. Adios,John

Old 02-08-2009, 09:15 AM   #185
Idiot Savant

1967 22' Safari
Auburn , Alabama
There were three 12V wires coming out where my heater used to be - I pulled the battery and cut the shore power so that I could trim those 12V cables down. perhaps they are shorting out somehow (although i don't know how) Unless somehow I have created a short by getting rid of those wires. If I remember correctly the grounds were connected, but the leads were not on two of the three wires.

My Tow vehicle is not connected. - It used to click out every 30 min to an hour before. and there would be about 2-3 min between clicks. The trailer does have all of its wiring out and about since its been stripped. I could cap all of the wires, but I think I need to do it in pairs. I already know this is going to be my stupid question of the day, but should I cap all the negatives together and all the positives together, or just toss a cap on each wire (positive and negative) to close out that circuit? Better to ask than guess.

I'll poke around. - Thanks for the info. I'm back off to the trenches. I should probably take pictures today =) hopefully things will start looking more like I've actually been working on the thing.

1988 C20 Suburban 454
1967 Safari 22' (like a fish)
"genius, talent, and luck have very little to do with success. The Successful all have one thing in common - persistance"
- Melon
Cursh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:52 AM   #186
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Cursh, how are you "capping" wires? With a wire nut? I would cut off any exposed copper, use the smallest wire nut on each individual wire, and then use electrical tape over the wire nut. Even better is to trace the wire back to it's source and disconnect it there, but you can leave it in in case you need it later (and if it's in good condition). Doing each wire individually allows you to be sure you are not connecting a positive and negative together (they might be marked incorrectly). A previous owner may have fooled around with the wiring and done very bad things. Assume the worst.

Did you create a short where the heater used to be? Moving things around could result in old brittle insulation coming off, or insulation that was worn from years of rubbing on something finally giving up (might have to do with the thermal breaker clicking). That's why it's good to track it down to the source. You can by process of elimination and a 12v DC tester find out which fuse controls those wires, but when you remove the wire at the source (fuse panel) you may disable something else and have to find where the heater wires are connected in the circuit and interrupt them there.

If you're doing a full remodel, replacing all wires (depending on their condition) may be a good idea. If the old ones look just ok, think about how they'll look in 5 years.

Gene
Old 02-08-2009, 10:27 AM   #187
Idiot Savant

1967 22' Safari
Auburn , Alabama
The wires all look really good - the insulation isn't brittle at all. I am trying to avoid pulling the interior skin because I'd rather not have to deal with that much work.

I guess I've got another lowes run in me today anyway so I'll grab those smaller caps. It did start right after I chopped those three wires down so that is probably my problem. Luckily to get to those its just a small portion of a panel that needs to be pulled.

1988 C20 Suburban 454
"genius, talent, and luck have very little to do with success. The Successful all have one thing in common - persistance"
- Melon
Old 02-11-2009, 08:51 AM   #188
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
I just happened to take down my tow connector box on the Sovereign yesterday and found five (5!) thermal fuses. I think it is a bad idea to fuse the automotive lights. I think they did it back in the day because cars towed Airstreams and they didn't have separate fuses for their trailer connector.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8838 inlet fuses-s.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	75353

With this setup, you might never figure out why you've got intermittent lights.

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:22 PM   #189
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:

Thanks for the heads up on Tony's Louis - my least favorite part of traveling is eating road food, I always love when i have a good lead on some quality cuisine
I know this is a bit late, but I have to chime in here. I lived in Toledo for eight years, and only ate at Packo's twice. Neither of those times was enjoyable. Maybe it is an acquired taste.........

For some really good local flavor, stop at Skyline Chili on your way through Cincinnati. That stuff is good enough to eat twice a day, seven days a week. Even when I'm far away, I can still mail order it in cans.

Woody
Old 02-12-2009, 09:13 AM   #190
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody.303 View Post

For some really good local flavor, stop at Skyline Chili on your way through Cincinnati. That stuff is good enough to eat twice a day, seven days a week.

Woody
Chili 14 times a week! That'll fill up the black tank in record time.

Gene
Old 02-12-2009, 10:17 AM   #191
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Heck yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Chili 14 times a week! That'll fill up the black tank in record time.

Gene

Gene,

Check out Skyline Chili - The Official Website of Skyline Chili

It is nothing at all like your everyday Tex-Mex style chili, and shouldn't be called chili at all. It is actually an authentic Greek dish, unlike anything you have ever tasted in your life.

It comes on a plate with spaghetti noodles, a spoon full of the chili, optional beans and onions, and then drowned in a heaping handful of grated cheddar.

My stomach is suddenly growling at me.........

Woody
Old 02-13-2009, 12:06 AM   #192
4 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Richmond , Kentucky
Skyline - I have a framed box of it in my office...

mmmmmmm!!!!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------
digger bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:59 PM   #193
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
I drove all the way from Kansas this weekend just to get some Skyline. Er, and to visit with Maw and Paw.

Woody
Old 06-16-2009, 09:01 PM   #194
Idiot Savant

1967 22' Safari
Auburn , Alabama
P.S. I'm solar powered =)

128 watts

1988 C20 Suburban 454
- Melon
Old 06-17-2009, 05:00 PM   #195
Idiot Savant

1967 22' Safari
Auburn , Alabama
Fun question of the week . . .

I have an inverter - and I have a 110 volt system - and I'm not plugging into shore power (because in alabama you get no bonus for putting energy back into the system[in fact its illegal])

SOOOO I was thinking about it . . . and . . . I was wondering if I could do a male male three pronged from the inverter into the plug under my bed to power the whole trailer?

actually would that end up charging my batteries off them self and make the power drain out on loop?

Does any of this make sense.

I love you guys.

thanks =)

1988 C20 Suburban 454
- Melon
Old 06-17-2009, 05:12 PM   #196
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
I have an inverter - and I have a 110 volt system - and I'm not plugging into shore power (because in alabama you get no bonus for putting energy back into the system
Probably because the grid can't handle the add'l 0.000128 megawatts you'd be pumping into the system... assuming you are not using any yourself.

I think you will find that your 128 watts will be consumed rather quickly... assuming the sun is shinning and you actually have 128 watts.

http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote