Old 08-24-2008, 09:05 PM   #127
4 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Richmond , Kentucky
Cursh,

I also get a kick out of your posts - I will never unsub from this thread - remember, its better to burn out than rust...

BTW, in many languages, rust and age are the same word.

Your UC alum,

Herb

--------------------------------------------------------
digger bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:21 PM   #128
_

. , .
i like crushes thread too!

the move to the 'yota for towing is good news.

although it barely has the power to more it's own mass,

it will be a better (and slower) tow beast.

don't we all agree in THIS case slow towing is GOOD towing?

which contained my entire LIFE possessions.

i smelled the wood floor and saw the smoke rising as i crested snoqualamie pass headed for a new life in seattle.

so whatdoyoudo when a wood truck floor is turning to charcoal right below your books and furniture and pooch?

i pulled into a small (at the time) rural mountain town....

EXACTY the spot where david lynch would film the 'who killed laura' tv series....

with the might fine pie.

quickly i located a car wash, and with my truck in TOW behind the rental moving briquette...

shoved some quarters into the wash bay and used the RINSE cycle to douse the floor boards from below.

ryder wanted to know WHY THE TRUCK WAS WET at the return/next day...

u can believe i told them....

as for the fruit bearing fauna, well perhaps crush means milk and eggs,

or he skipped that biology class to chase women and forbidden fruit....

so keep it coming, it's a good story

and it was a wise decision to have some pros deal with the frame and floor.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:23 PM   #129
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Slipcover the mattress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursh View Post
Malcom - I like the way you think. - The odd shape of the beds might be the biggest problem there, but then again - I'm months away from trying to sleep in the thing anyway so I have plenty of time to tweak a solution.
The mattress will take the shape of a slipcover if you put it inside one. Use Canvas, it's cheap and stiff-doesn't stretch.

Paula
Old 08-24-2008, 09:47 PM   #130
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
The mattress will take the shape of a slipcover if you put it inside one. Use Canvas, it's cheap and stiff-doesn't stretch.

Paula
Ahh, but it does shrink. Ask my lovely wife why the mattresses in our Tradewind are now 4" too short.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:17 PM   #131
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
Ahh, but it does shrink. Ask my lovely wife why the mattresses in our Tradewind are now 4" too short.
Pre-wash and dry the canvas before making the covers.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:48 AM   #132
Idiot Savant

1967 22' Safari
Auburn , Alabama
I like to think that engilsh is my second language, and I haven't discovered my first yet.

1988 C20 Suburban 454
1967 Safari 22' (like a fish)
"genius, talent, and luck have very little to do with success. The Successful all have one thing in common - persistance"
- Melon
Cursh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:00 AM   #133
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
I like your thread Crush. Reminds me a little of myself when I got out of college. I landed my first job in Atlanta, towed a U Haul from Ohio in an old rusted out 68 Chevy Malibu (YeeHaaa). Despite the muffler falling off, engine over heating, and the U Haul swaying like a fish out of water, I made it.

Your rig looks awesome man, and the bike trip sounds excellent. Keep the wheels turning in your head no matter what others say. Carl Sagan once said, "It is the tension between creativity and skepticism that has produced the stunning and unexpected findings of science." How true, and it applies to more than just science.

Oh and buy the way, Ro-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-oll another one Just like the other one.

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 08-25-2008, 01:05 PM   #134
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Then there was the time 30 years ago I towed a big heavy Pontiac 2,000 miles with a CJ 5 Jeep. Those jeeps were pretty unstable to start with. Add a car much heavier, it's bad. No anti sway bar, no experience, no brains. Cross winds in Kansas were especially memorable. That was not a good time, but arrived anyway with both vehicles and passenger intact.

I had forgotten that bad memory until now. Thanks for the therapy.

Gene
Old 08-25-2008, 02:14 PM   #135
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I wish I still had my Pontiac...1964 Parisienne. Talk about a Land Yacht!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:50 PM   #136
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
That reminds me of the time about 29 years ago I towed a huge Olds 98 from Oregon to Colorado with a 1968 Dodge van with a slant six engine. I can remember limping up the hills at about 20 miles per hour. The main reason I used the van as the tow vehicle was that it had a good solid hitch mounted on the back. Strangely I was reflecting on that trip just the other day and thought that I probably should have towed the van with the Olds. The Olds had a 400+ cubic inch V8 and might very well have been heavier than the van was.

Malcolm
Old 10-08-2008, 12:19 AM   #137
Idiot Savant

1967 22' Safari
Auburn , Alabama
Time for an update. MUCH has happened.

Bike trip didn't happen . . . on the maiden voyage to dayton (dropping a buddy off at the airport, no car involved was the idea) I totaled the touring bike . . . the next morning it was stolen out of the back of my truck (totaled, yes)

big downer is I had already located a replacement frame to swap the components over to. Some Cincinnati bum probably got $7 in scrap metal for it.

as to how I totaled it, an 80lbs duffle bag really retards handling, and "don't drive here" posts on bike paths don't give much.

did make it 60 miles before the accident though, and rode the last 40 on a friends bike. (who was tired of riding at that point anyway and got his GF to pick him up in her honda)

P&S finally got back to me with a concrete estimate . . . over six weeks after my project was supposed to have work started on it

The estimate was also over twice as expensive as their initial estimate (said it should be $2500-$3500, ended up being just south of $8000)

I understand that I was miss scheduled to have my trailer polished instead of having a floor put in (which was one of the reasons that this estimate took so long)

and that their 40th Anniversary Rally was looming over their heads (the other reason it took so long) but I found the entire experience to be unprofessional. (I mentioned in many emails and phone calls that I wanted a floor put into the trailer, no attempt was ever made to right the scheduling error.)

That being said, I am just one of the many people who have dealt with them, and from what I have heard they are fantastic to work with . . . (besides, I'm obviously viewed as being a tad off my rocker anyway, so who is going to take the word of a nut like me)

so anyway - I'm looking for another trailer, while in the meantime trying to figure out when I can get back up to Toledo to pick up a trailer that is much further away from me then I would like to drive to pick up a trailer that still doesn't have a floor (this, of course is my own fault for not planning on getting the work done at a location more local to me)

I'm also considering sourcing the things I need to do the job myself (like an aircraft engine lift, if I still lived in Ohio I would have access to one, would make shell off resto a tad easier methinks) I'm sure I could get the frame sandblasted, rust repaired (if need be) and X-Lined for next to nothing down here.

The big catch is that I was hit by a car last friday while delivering sandwiches on my bicycle for Jimmy Johns. Broke my Scapula. huge thumbs up to Jimmy Johns for hooking up a part time $6 an hour employee with Workmans Comp, but I can't do anything physical for 4-6 weeks. (ive been restoring my parents boat for real money (all going into the airstream fund) on the weekends, that job is now toast, and my hope of having something watertight with a bed and stove in it by jan 09 is slowly dying (as the money from the boat makes the boat a higher priority than working on the airstream)

The Land Cruiser is also for sale - being in such good mechanical condition it shouldn't last long with hunting season around the corner. I've buried my dream of towing with a period tow vehicle, and will settle for something that is manual and a diesel. probably mid 90s (blah) but am still hoping that some day I will come across that beautifully patine(d) 1967 3/4 Ton Suburban with a rock solid frame and my dream will be complete (they say that patience is a virtue)

So . . . If anyone knows of a pre '68 Single axle longer than 19 feet for under $5k with a solid floor in the south east . . . let me know about it. I would love to have something semi "campable" by the time I get a "real job" (who knows when that could be in these uncertain times)

(my goofy self in the ER)

1988 C20 Suburban 454
"genius, talent, and luck have very little to do with success. The Successful all have one thing in common - persistance"
- Melon
Old 10-08-2008, 09:30 PM   #138
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Indeed a lot has happened since you last posted! At least you have survived and with time will be as good as new.

I wonder if you could find someone to tow your trailer for you from its remote location to where you are? That might be a lot cheaper than buying another one. Perhaps you could then have the work done locally as you described and end up in good shape after all. How many miles are you talking about? There might be someone in the forums here that could do it if you posted a request.

Malcolm
Old 10-08-2008, 10:21 PM   #139
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' International CCD FB
Everett , Washington
Bummer. Hope you're on the mend. Glad to at least see you smiling in that ER pic.

When you're in Toledo, stop by Tony Packo's for a good Hungarian meal. I grew up there. I miss that darn place... ...the restaurant.

/Lois
WBCCI #4018

Just call us Jean & Bill :-)
HankandLois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:37 AM   #140
Idiot Savant

1967 22' Safari
Auburn , Alabama
Communication - Communication - Communication.

I would be a terrible replacement for Steves wife, because we just don't communicate well.

We are currently talking over P&S taking my trailer on trade and giving me an identical one (built 15 before mine) that has a belly pan, interior skin, blah blah blah.

P&S would check the floor/brakes/belly pan to make sure everything was in good order and repair what wasn't

The cost to me is MUCH closer to what I was originally hoping to pay.

I don't mind going to toledo to pick up my silver bullet, just not to pick up something that still had so far to go in life.

(the trip is something like 1000 miles)

Thanks for the heads up on Tony's Louis - my least favorite part of traveling is eating road food, I always love when i have a good lead on some quality cuisine

1988 C20 Suburban 454
- Melon