Old 08-30-2009, 12:56 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

We went down to the dealer yesterday to smell all the trailers, and none of them had the same smell, though the models with the blue interior smelled like a mini barnyard. We will be back to the shop on Monday AM to open the closet with the service manager and do more investigating. Air Stream's rep is supposed to be in town on Tuesday, maybe he can help us figure it out.

Personally, I think its something in the plumbing, just because of the complexity of the smell. One last thought is that it might be some sort of exhaust leak from the water heater. I thought I smelled the same odor after I got out of the truck when I parked it the garage.

Thanks to all for your ideas; tomorrow they get discussed.
Hugh

Old 08-30-2009, 01:21 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Just another thought—as gas appliances break in, they can emit some strange odors. Our furnace smelled like there was a propane leak for months, but neither me nor anyone else could find one. Then it was gone.

Gene

Old 08-31-2009, 12:08 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
We are interested in what you might find. Still can't put a "nose" on what it might be.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:29 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
After 25 years of various rv ownership the following statement can be made with true confidence. It is the reason why I hated motor homes, and even tempted to try a class b, but never will. First, motor homes rattle. I don't care if it is prevost or winnebago, they rattle going down the road. It gets worse as they age. Second,odors. Think about what you have going down the road, the possibilities for scents to linger or become even permanent in a small environment are wide open. You can run, but not-hide on this one. It get worse as they age. Eventually something will linger and the best you can do is to keep the vents open as much as possible during storage and never- ever cook fish in the rig. Good luck.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:48 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
We have jad a few propane leaks in some units on our lot from time to time and it smells like "rotten eggs" to me.

I would make sure they check that water heater!

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 12:43 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Latest update:
We and the the service manager checked out following:
odor was still present in upper section of wardrobe next to bed, nothing in the lower section, its not as strong as before due to it being open and venting;
the vents at the roof - no blockage;
propane leak - gauge held for 15 minutes on the full tank;
inspected and reviewed plumbing - no issues, b/w tank smells fresh with the cleaner in it, also the odor is not found in any area with the 'soil stacks', i.e., under the sinks or in the access area in front of the shower and under the 2nd wardrobe;
ran water heater - no odors;
didn't run the exhaust fans - if we were drawing air back from tanks, odor would have been introduced to the areas with the soil stacks.

So, then I stick my nose inside the wardrobe and sniff the plywood that braces the cabinet door hinge - now it seems like the plywood may be off-gassing. Still, no one is sure. The odor is no where else except the upper portion of the wardrobe.

Hal from A/S will be here tomorrow to look at it as part of his visit. So, the mystery continues...............

Hugh
Old 08-31-2009, 01:15 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Hmm.... smells in a 22 and 25 foot.

My 20 foot smells fine. So I'd check the last 2-5 feet of your trailers.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:12 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
Hmm.... smells in a 22 and 25 foot.

My 20 foot smells fine. So I'd check the last 2-5 feet of your trailers.

Since the bed is up in that last 5 feet to the front, that means its me. Sandy keeps telling me I'm a little stinker.

Hugh
Old 08-31-2009, 03:24 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Maybe one of the workers left a half eaten sandwich that got built in. Wouldn't surprise me.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:44 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Smell update -
The A/S rep was out about 10 days ago and said it was a chemical they used. Then last week, the shop was told to remove the wardrobe in question and let it 'cook' in the warm OR sunshine. Of course, the following day was one of liquid sunshine. As of today, no odor in the FC as the wardrobe is 'tanning' itself. Most of the odor is now gone, and the plan is to re-install it next week after a few more days in the sun.

We just hope the odor is gone, or at least to a point that my clothes don't stink after being cooped up for a couple of days. We'll see how it works as we shove off for 4 months soon.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:38 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
San Gabriel , California
Was this odor ever diagnosed and fixed? We have a similar problem in our 2013 25 Flying Cloud FB. An odor is emitting from the closet area. We are on our way to the factory for a second time and a sixth of seventh attempt to fix the smell.
They are going to drop the grey and black tanks...thinking it's a plumbing issue. In fact the factory removed the air admitance valve under the closet and vented it through the roof.
The odor was strong today. I even turned off the gas and waited...the odor didn't go away. The grey and black tanks smelled like the tank deodorizer.
Thoughts? suggestions??
John T.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:40 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
John,

It is most likely a plumbing issue or a dead animal somewhere. I would rather have a plumbing issue.

Gene
Old 10-16-2014, 06:10 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
San Gabriel , California
This has been going on for 18 months. Dead animals dry out. Thanks John