Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-31-2009, 12:15 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Hmm.... smells in a 22 and 25 foot.

My 20 foot smells fine. So I'd check the last 2-5 feet of your trailers.

Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:12 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
Hmm.... smells in a 22 and 25 foot.

My 20 foot smells fine. So I'd check the last 2-5 feet of your trailers.

Since the bed is up in that last 5 feet to the front, that means its me. Sandy keeps telling me I'm a little stinker.

Hugh
flakeyjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:24 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Maybe one of the workers left a half eaten sandwich that got built in. Wouldn't surprise me.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:44 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Smell update -
The A/S rep was out about 10 days ago and said it was a chemical they used. Then last week, the shop was told to remove the wardrobe in question and let it 'cook' in the warm OR sunshine. Of course, the following day was one of liquid sunshine. As of today, no odor in the FC as the wardrobe is 'tanning' itself. Most of the odor is now gone, and the plan is to re-install it next week after a few more days in the sun.

We just hope the odor is gone, or at least to a point that my clothes don't stink after being cooped up for a couple of days. We'll see how it works as we shove off for 4 months soon.
flakeyjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:38 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
San Gabriel , California
Was this odor ever diagnosed and fixed? We have a similar problem in our 2013 25 Flying Cloud FB. An odor is emitting from the closet area. We are on our way to the factory for a second time and a sixth of seventh attempt to fix the smell.
They are going to drop the grey and black tanks...thinking it's a plumbing issue. In fact the factory removed the air admitance valve under the closet and vented it through the roof.
The odor was strong today. I even turned off the gas and waited...the odor didn't go away. The grey and black tanks smelled like the tank deodorizer.
Thoughts? suggestions??
John T.
clicker187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 03:40 PM   #26
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
John,

It is most likely a plumbing issue or a dead animal somewhere. I would rather have a plumbing issue.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:10 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
San Gabriel , California
This has been going on for 18 months. Dead animals dry out. Thanks John
clicker187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:13 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Johns Creek , Georgia
Did you ever get your closet odor issue fixed? We have the same problem in our 2017 Sport 22 closet. Seems to get worse with heat.
Jhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:09 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Cedarcreek , Missouri
Our '06 25' FB had that indescribable foul odor after we baited a mouse issue. It was strongest in the hall closet adjacent to the shower and it would nearly bring my wife to tears. After several months (yes, small critters will mummify after a few weeks) it was obvious we were dealing with another source. And yes, the odor was considerably worse in hot weather.

On a whim, I replaced the one-way flapper vent located next to the water pump in the compartment directly under the closet. This helped immensely. Jury's still out as to whether or not this was actually the culprit, but the trailer is pretty much odor free at this point.
Mount'n Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:16 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Things started smelling rosier once we started doing a black tank flush every time we dump.

I hook up the dedicated black tank flush hose(s) before the sewer hose is attached. As soon as the black tank is empty I turn on the flush hose. To everyone in line at the dump station it seems like part of the dump process and most don't get impatient like they would if you wait to do the black hose connect and flush at the very end.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:38 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Johns Creek , Georgia
For our odor problem in the Sport 22, it still continues, but we've narrowed it down to happening any time we run the Fantastic fan which is right in front of the closet which has the pipes/pump/etc underneath. Typically we run this when showering since there is no exhaust fan in our shower, but have learned that even when winter camping we can run that fan for a short while during a shower and the odor starts back from the closet.

We do frequently treat the tanks using the Geo method, and we do rinse the black tank every time we dump. Now I'm wondering if there's some kind of obstruction in a check valve or the vent line, but don't really know where or what to look for.

Any tips or thoughts?
Old 01-03-2019, 03:25 PM   #32
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhess View Post
For our odor problem in the Sport 22, it still continues, but we've narrowed it down to happening any time we run the Fantastic fan which is right in front of the closet which has the pipes/pump/etc underneath. Typically we run this when showering since there is no exhaust fan in our shower, but have learned that even when winter camping we can run that fan for a short while during a shower and the odor starts back from the closet.

We do frequently treat the tanks using the Geo method, and we do rinse the black tank every time we dump. Now I'm wondering if there's some kind of obstruction in a check valve or the vent line, but don't really know where or what to look for.

Any tips or thoughts?
Crack the window open, so the fan will pull from that instead of the tank area.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:27 PM   #33
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
I own one of these and use monthly to kill/neutralize orders mold and the like. Run for 20 minutes a month, open all cabinet doors, leave Airstream for about an hour, then come back to the freshness and clean air ....
Enerzen Commercial Ozone Generator 6,000mg Industrial O3 Air Purifier Deodorizer Sterilizer (6,000mg - Black)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JA...o_pop_mb_pd_t2

POWERFUL ODOR ELIMINATION AND MOLD CONTROL AND REMOVAL – Eliminates virtually ANY mal-odors from mold, cigarette/cigar smoke, pet odors, paint/cleaning fumes, dust, water damage, smoke damage, cooking odors, and other airborne irritants. Helps to eliminate and retard mold, mildew, and fungus growth.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:52 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Key West , Florida
You must first determine if the smell is from holding tanks or is from some other source. To isolate smells coming from black tank, first drain and flush black tank, then pour a bottle of Downy fabric deodorizer in to the toilet and flush toilet 3 or 4 times insuring to clear the bowl of any residual Downy deodorizer. A small amount of water should cover the ball valve at the bottom of the toilet bowl. Close up trailer and wait a couple days. If the trailer or suspect closet now smells like Downy, the source of smell is coming from the black tank. Double Check to see if there is water still in the bottom of the bowl covering the ball valve. The grey tank can be checked in a similar manner by using lowest drain point, typically the shower.

Test a grey water Auto Trap by sealing off the Auto Trap with a plastic bag and tape or rubber band and observing if smell goes away. Or as I did, Replace all the Auto traps typically located at a high spot under the counter near each sink drain as a preventive measure.

Hard to locate Sources for black Tank odor includes a Vent pipe not properly connected to or which has broken loose from tank. To check for leak at vent connection to tank, First drain and flush tank. Turn off water to toilet. Then, fill black tank with water using a garden hose that has been placed slightly past the ball valve body of the toilet so that the valve is held open as the tank fills. Fill the tank just past full so water backs up half way up the toilet bowl and then turn off garden hose. Over a period of 2 hours, observe for water leaks in or around trailer or water level in toilet going down. This test will also verify that you have a good seal between the tank and bottom of toilet.
DonRich7878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:27 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Johns Creek , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Crack the window open, so the fan will pull from that instead of the tank area.

Thanks for the tip. We always crack at least one window quite a bit for the reason you mentioned. Still doesn’t keep the odor from happening when running that fan.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:28 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Johns Creek , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRich7878 View Post
You must first determine if the smell is from holding tanks or is from some other source. To isolate smells coming from black tank, first drain and flush black tank, then pour a bottle of Downy fabric deodorizer in to the toilet and flush toilet 3 or 4 times insuring to clear the bowl of any residual Downy deodorizer. A small amount of water should cover the ball valve at the bottom of the toilet bowl. Close up trailer and wait a couple days. If the trailer or suspect closet now smells like Downy, the source of smell is coming from the black tank. Double Check to see if there is water still in the bottom of the bowl covering the ball valve. The grey tank can be checked in a similar manner by using lowest drain point, typically the shower.

Test a grey water Auto Trap by sealing off the Auto Trap with a plastic bag and tape or rubber band and observing if smell goes away. Or as I did, Replace all the Auto traps typically located at a high spot under the counter near each sink drain as a preventive measure.

Hard to locate Sources for black Tank odor includes a Vent pipe not properly connected to or which has broken loose from tank. To check for leak at vent connection to tank, First drain and flush tank. Turn off water to toilet. Then, fill black tank with water using a garden hose that has been placed slightly past the ball valve body of the toilet so that the valve is held open as the tank fills. Fill the tank just past full so water backs up half way up the toilet bowl and then turn off garden hose. Over a period of 2 hours, observe for water leaks in or around trailer or water level in toilet going down. This test will also verify that you have a good seal between the tank and bottom of toilet.

Thank you. We will give this a shot.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:13 PM   #37
California Flying Cloud

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Camarillo , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
The vent pipe is called a soil stack in household plumbing—you see 3 or 4" black pipe sticking out the roof, that's probably it. It both vents odors and equalizes pressure in the drain pipes. European plumbing has used vents on pipes such as in the above picture for years and they are available at Lowe's, etc., though usually white. When you have a long run of drain pipes between soil stacks, they are useful to allow the pipe to drain well. That can reduce odors by allowing the quick draining of waste—as grey or black water goes down the pipe, air pressure builds up ahead of it and needs to escape somehow. It does not sound like Hugh's problem because there's a vent right next to the toilet and it goes directly to the black tank. It could be useful in the kitchen.

Gene

I’ve been searching for sewer order problems in my 25 foot flying cloud also. I think this may be my answer. The vent valve in my trailer seems to be the source of the odor. It’s under the coat closet across the hall from the toilet and connects directly into the black water tank. I was not sure about it’s function until now. It is supposed to let air into the black water tank as needed but also keep odor inside the tank. I think it’s failing in its one-way function. Thanks for the insight.
52HalfTon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:47 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Cedarcreek , Missouri
We had that same odor problem after a mouse issue in our 25' Safari; figured it was a carcass in the utility space under the closet and would go away in time. It didn't... Replaced that one-way flapper vent under the closet and voila, that took care of the odor issue. An easy, inexpensive fix and you can find the part at your local ACE hardware.
Mount'n Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:30 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
EPA lists Ozone as a lung irritant

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHPJ View Post
I own one of these and use monthly to kill/neutralize orders mold and the like. Run for 20 minutes a month, open all cabinet doors, leave Airstream for about an hour, then come back to the freshness and clean air ....
Enerzen Commercial Ozone Generator 6,000mg Industrial O3 Air Purifier Deodorizer Sterilizer (6,000mg - Black)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JA...o_pop_mb_pd_t2

POWERFUL ODOR ELIMINATION AND MOLD CONTROL AND REMOVAL – Eliminates virtually ANY mal-odors from mold, cigarette/cigar smoke, pet odors, paint/cleaning fumes, dust, water damage, smoke damage, cooking odors, and other airborne irritants. Helps to eliminate and retard mold, mildew, and fungus growth.
Ozone is a pollutant, an ingredient of smog, and a lung irritant. Though it might help in removing odors, etc., it can be harmful to people.
If an ozone generator is used inside the trailer it is important to follow the "leave the Airstream" advice stated above.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:49 AM   #40
California Flying Cloud

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Camarillo , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mount'n Man View Post
We had that same odor problem after a mouse issue in our 25' Safari; figured it was a carcass in the utility space under the closet and would go away in time. It didn't... Replaced that one-way flapper vent under the closet and voila, that took care of the odor issue. An easy, inexpensive fix and you can find the part at your local ACE hardware.

Is “flapper vent” you mention the “automatic vent” on the vent pipe to the black water tank? I think it’s the same. Thanks
52HalfTon is offline   Reply With Quote