Old 11-25-2011, 12:55 PM   #1

Maplewood , Minnesota
Question Novice Seeks to Purchase 1963 Bambi

Hello:

I am interested in purchasing the above-mentioned Airstream. We will have to travel some to see it, and I'm attempting to do some homework before Tuesday. Can anyone give me an idea of what typical issues an Airstream of this age might have that we should be on the lookout for? Some were suggested by a family member (below); he then referred me to this forum because he is not that familiar with Airstreams.

1. Leaks in the skin
2. Rust in the frame
3. The condition of the wheels/bearings
4. The condition of the wiring, especially since mice very commonly get into trailer units over time and eat wiring
5. The condition of the furnace
6. My friend's father added: Condition of the flooring (as the earlier models have wood flooring).

Any help (or the name of a Duluth--in Minnesota--Airstream mechanic) will be GREATLY appreciated!

Judy

Old 11-25-2011, 01:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasgalcleo View Post
Hello:

I am interested in purchasing the above-mentioned Airstream. We will have to travel some to see it, and I'm attempting to do some homework before Tuesday. Can anyone give me an idea of what typical issues an Airstream of this age might have that we should be on the lookout for? Some were suggested by a family member (below); he then referred me to this forum because he is not that familiar with Airstreams.

1. Leaks in the skin
2. Rust in the frame
3. The condition of the wheels/bearings
4. The condition of the wiring, especially since mice very commonly get into trailer units over time and eat wiring
5. The condition of the furnace
6. My friend's father added: Condition of the flooring (as the earlier models have wood flooring).

Any help (or the name of a Duluth--in Minnesota--Airstream mechanic) will be GREATLY appreciated!

Judy
Judy.

Condition of the window and door gaskets.

Condition of the axle.

The Dura-Torque Axle

Andy

Old 11-25-2011, 03:21 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

You could ask the present owner for a towing demonstration before you hand over the check. This would let you know if the trailer brakes do their job and the outside lights to include turn signal and brake lights are operational. Is your outside umbilical cord receptacle on your tow vehicle a match for the hook up on the trailer (some are 7 and some 8 pin)? The 1963 had copper water lines and no inline pressure reduction device, so it would be helpful to know that there are no leaks in the water system. You would have to rewinterize it after checking this though. Checking the toilet and then dumping it would let you know that it is functioning properly and that the tank is not clogged up. Check the referigerator for proper operation and see it works properly on gas and electric. If there is a tv antenna, take a small tv with you and see if it works.

These are only a few things that come to mind in addition to your list. Am certain others will fill in items not mentioned thus far.

The 1963 Bambi is a fine trailer. We pulled ours from Florida to Alaska and back behind my 1994 Jimmy (V6) and lived in it for 6 weeks. A great trip.

My two cents, Pat
Old 11-25-2011, 03:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Maybe use this to help.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...1&d=1300735380

Good luck!
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:50 PM   #5
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
That era Bambi had smaller than normal hubs, brakes, and tires/wheels. It would be a good idea to make sure all that stuff is in good working order, because getting parts on the way home might be a challenge. That trailer didn't come stock with a converter, so make sure it has a good battery, and the charge line on your tow vehicle works properly. It also has an air-pressurized fresh water system, and the tanks tend to leak after 50 years or so. The pump may not pump air, and make sure you get the city water inlet for the water tank, if the current owner has it. The sewer adapter also may be an issue, try to get that, or be prepared to "go fish" if he doesn't have it.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:34 AM   #6

Maplewood , Minnesota
Arrow Thanks!

Thanks a million for the helpful replies! And in plenty of time to get my inspection list ready before Tuesday. --Judy

Tags