Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-13-2016, 09:12 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Pinehurst , North Carolina
Nothing to Report

We just returned from a 6 week, 7,100 mile trip covering about 15 states. Farthest outbound point was North Dakota.

Nothing broke, malfunctioned or caused any concern or confusion with either the Airstream or TV.

No owner's manuals were consulted. No web searches or phone calls for assistance were required either.

I did maintain surveillance on air pressure and wheel lug torque. Nothing required attention there either.

Sometimes, some of the "gloom and doom" reports here are a bit disconcerting, but my opinion is that Airstream makes a damn fine product. So does Chevy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160905_084736.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	271600  
Randakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:47 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
1965 26' Overlander
appleton , Wisconsin
Nothing to comment on.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Me too, from Missouri to Glacier Natl Park last month. Even the Equalizer hitch was quiet.

Topped off my Ram 2500 DEF tank with Peak and it worked fine. Purchase biodiesel in Nebraska and it worked fine. Everywhere else west was straight diesel.

Had a bad blister under my right big toe from Ptarmigan Tunnel hike but I was still able to hike up to Sperry Glacier and Chalet without pain. Didn't even get any new blisters on that hike.

What did go wrong:
My bicycle got a flat tire going from Fish Creek to Apgar. About a mile or so out it went flat and did the walk of shame back to the campground.

My new propane Honda generator had a faulty hose/regulator. Purchased an equivalent Mr Heater part in Columbia Falls and it worked fine. Got my original one replaced by GenConnex when I got home.

Kelvin
Old 09-13-2016, 03:08 PM   #4
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Well, for that matter, we have had uneventful trips to the lake, to Branson MO, and to a church retreat..... Just a lot o'fun!
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 03:11 PM   #5
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
You do realize you've Murphed it up for the next trip (or trips). The Airstream Gods are not to be trifled with as they have long memories and love piling on misery; just ask Vycan, who also posted something similar about a previous trip; three head gaskets later and a host of other problems aflicted his next trip. I could go on. Trust me, there are people on this site you firmly believe in those mean spirited hooligans (they actually like being called that).

In the future, count your blessings, keep quiet as a church mouse and pray it never happens to you.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
What a boring trip report. No drama or other horror stories to rant about.
Nice to hear from a happy camper for a change. May you have many more glorious adventures in your Airstream.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Nothing to Report

On our last outing, we did over 10,000 miles, lived in the AS 12 weeks, and the only non-issue we had was running out of propane. This is with a basically stock 2007 AS and a newly installed ProPride hitch. But I'm not bragging or complaining.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Thanks for sharing. Feels a little weird doesn't it? Sharing that nothing happened and all is well? Which is why most people don't do it. Not because it doesn't happen. It's because there's no reason to.

And that gives the impression that mostly bad things happen to Airstreams. It's just Internet optics.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Call the factory and see if they screwed up? 😳

Just kidding! Glad you took the time to report nothing.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:09 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Nothing to Report

Other than toasting a set of batteries in storage (my fault) because of low water in them, most of my work on this AS is going to be updates and improvements, plus better tires and 16" wheels once I figure out if they will fit.

Yes, I have many days that I feel like s fugitive from the law of averages and the angry Airstream gods...but hey, I'm Norwegian...

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:15 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
We like ours too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randakk View Post
...my opinion is that Airstream makes a damn fine product. So does Chevy
We like our Silverado too, and our FC. Here's hoping we all have many more issue free trips!
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:38 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Re: Balancing the Travel Yin-Yang

Our 2015 roadtrip was 13,500 miles (not including side-trips) through 23 states, and it was 8.5 months in duration. The following is a list of challenges on that trip:
  • Hail damage (a little smaller than golf ball size) to TV and Airstream at Mount Rushmore. Broken side-view mirror and bathroom vent cover, plus dents on top of Bambi and Tundra. Bathroom vent has since had an aluminum pie plate as a "temporary" cover. Mirror was replaced several months later after returning home. Luckily, new UltraBreeze vent covers (installed prior to departure) protected both FantasticFans, while most other RVs had broken vents and skylights. The Bambi and Tundra still carry the battle scars from this encounter with nature.

• Water heater stopped working in North Dakota. After several days of part-time troubleshooting (and no showers), replacement parts were purchased at local RV dealer, and installed. Luckily, cost was only $35.

• TV had a blowout near Indianapolis. This was the first Michelin tire failure we've ever had in years and years of use on all of our vehicles. Purchased a new set of Michelins even though lots of tread remained on all of them, because the other three were purchased at same time as the failed tire. Tire expense was about $1,100. Insurance covered the tow truck that was dispatched to remove the bad tire and install the spare, because the 2.5 ton floor jack we carried would not lift the rear wheel on our TV (handle was too short with jack under the truck). Blowout caused $1,000 in wheel well and body damage, which was repaired after returning home. Also, we now carry a new three-ton floor jack with a four foot handle.

• Broke two ribs in a bicycle fall at Letchworth State Park in New York State. Spent several days resting at the next stop, Watkins Glen State Park, where we visited the Corning Glass Museum. Luckily, no medical care was required, but it was several weeks before I was able to lift anything heavy (or ride my bike).

• In Oklahoma, hardware securing the bumper to the frame rusted through on the right side and allowed the bumper to hang down on that side to where it almost scraped on the pavement. Luckily, a passing motorist flagged us down before it fell off. Rusted parts were replaced with stainless steel hardware.

• During the 8.5 months, one hinge on the freezer door (inside the refrigerator) broke, and the door fell off. The remainder of the trip, the freezer door was duct-tape closed. After returning home, I solvent-welded several layers of polystyrene plastic (purchased at a hobby shop) to the broken hinge to repair it, and reinforced both hinges with the same material.

Also, every plastic shelf that hangs on the refrigerator door had the mounting tabs break off, resulting in the shelf and its contents falling on the floor. By the time we got home, all of the refrigerator door shelves were held in place with duct tape. I have since modified the door by adding homemade shelf retainers, so that the broken shelves can still be used. (See modification at this link: Fixing broken refrigerator door shelves)

• On the last leg of our trip, while approaching home, an oncoming 4WD pickup threw a big rock out of one of its tires and put a starburst crack in our windshield, right in the middle of the driver's view. The windshield was later replaced, and it was covered by insurance.

• Shortly after returning home, the combination GPS navigation/radio/CD changer in the dash of our Tundra failed. Three weeks and $850 later, it works again.

Hopefully, our experiences fully balance the travel yin-yang for all AirForums members, and everyone’s roadtrips will be fun and uneventful with regard to Airstream and TV problems.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:20 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Gig Harbor , Washington
My wife and I did a 17 day, 19 state, 6,500 mile road trip this summer in our 2013 25' FB International Serenity and it was also completely uneventful. Oh wait, I take that back, we lost 2 rivets inside. But that's it.
dave_oleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:17 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
My vote goes to my FC and Chevy combo as well. I have had 8 trips out on the road since February and enjoyed every one of them. When a maintenance challenge popped up, I took note, got it fixed and went on enjoying myself. I have always loved my Airstream and Chevy truck combo's....nothing better for me
Old 09-15-2016, 06:02 AM   #15
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Great thread! Nice to the sense of humor in good working order as well. Can't wait to read more.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:53 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
7 days, 3600 vintage miles, 10 states, ball only (we know, we know). Duct tape and prayers.

All good, all smiles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1473969228240.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	271704  

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote