Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-22-2010, 01:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Des Moines , Washington
Note; Read forum before this happens to you!

Help is needed from the Experts! I now have a 72 31' sovereign rear bath that I thought was a "good deal" 3 1/2 weeks ago, sitting in my driveway. At this point I have found, 1- Univolt bad, 2- Furnace bad, 3- Refer bad, 4- Oven bad, 5- Water heater bad, 6- A/C bad, 7- Axels and Tires bad, 8- here's the coup de grai..... Rear bath floor rot!!! Around the perimeter. I am dealing with these issues now 1- ac wiring has been fixed and sorted, 2- dc wiring has been sorted, 3- old flooring removed. I started this project on the "keep it cheap" motto! I would normally give up on such a project, but my wife has fallen for it! I feel bad knowing that I must give up on the option of keeping it "original" due to cost involved, but this is a rear bath sovereign which I have found they were made o' plenty. At this time I have decided to replace the appliances as cheaply as possible with new but "different" items. Insert "Experts", I would love to have examples or photos or details of how to replace the rear floor of the rear bath sovereign!!!! Also what will I find when the rear belly pan is removed and how do I remove it? Andy it is time for me to buy a manual, Please lead me to the Knowledge......

Thanks to all for the past and future help!!!!

P.S. Newbies Please Read!!!!!!

Curt
2wheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:28 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Hang in there, Curt, it will get better! Appliances do go out, but some of them may be salvagable for a better price than buying new - though some appliances it's kind of nice to have new and better features than were available in '72. The univolt probably needed to be replaced anyway. If you camp where you are plugged in you can get by with an electric space heater for the first season. Just take your time, and try not to panic Many folks here have already been through the same thing!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:42 PM   #3
_

. , .
hi curt

your story has been posted a zillion+ times here, unfortunately.

and you aren't done finding surprises...

under that ROTTED lav floor is probably gonna be a rusted/broked frame in need of repair...

a good deal on an old trailer is often like buying a free horse.

except it's a lot harder to make glue from an old stream.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt. I own the exact same model as you and have replaced all of the appliances (less A/C) with new ones. Also, new axles, new wheels, new awning, replaced electric tongue jack, replaced fresh and black water holding tanks, installed frame stiffiners, replaced bathroom floor and repaired rear end separation (you probably have that too). See my blog for details.

Was it worth it? Yes, it's still much cheaper than buying a new Airstream and it will last a long, long time.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:58 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Des Moines , Washington
Thank you to "All", once again! Stephanie, Space heating was planned after furnace condition inspection. Thanks! 2air, I'm just coming to terms with that thought. Thanks! Rivet Master, will I , can I, make it through this process without losing my wife, my toys, or my sanity?

Curt
2wheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelin View Post
Help is needed from the Experts! I now have a 72 31' sovereign rear bath that I thought was a "good deal" 3 1/2 weeks ago, sitting in my driveway. At this point I have found, 1- Univolt bad, 2- Furnace bad, 3- Refer bad, 4- Oven bad, 5- Water heater bad, 6- A/C bad, 7- Axels and Tires bad, 8- here's the coup de grai..... Rear bath floor rot!!! Around the perimeter. I am dealing with these issues now 1- ac wiring has been fixed and sorted, 2- dc wiring has been sorted, 3- old flooring removed. I started this project on the "keep it cheap" motto! I would normally give up on such a project, but my wife has fallen for it! I feel bad knowing that I must give up on the option of keeping it "original" due to cost involved, but this is a rear bath sovereign which I have found they were made o' plenty. At this time I have decided to replace the appliances as cheaply as possible with new but "different" items. Insert "Experts", I would love to have examples or photos or details of how to replace the rear floor of the rear bath sovereign!!!! Also what will I find when the rear belly pan is removed and how do I remove it? Andy it is time for me to buy a manual, Please lead me to the Knowledge......

Curt
Hi Curt, I find it amazing that none of the appliances work.

The axles are probably bad. It's tough getting around that one.

Your just south of Seattle. Not too far away from me.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:24 PM   #7
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
will I , can I, make it through this process without losing my wife, my toys, or my sanity?

Curt
That's harder to answer than questions about rebuilding your new toy.

If your wife wants to leave, make her take the Sovereign unless you are almost finished rebuilding. There are more replacement wives than Airstreams, but get one that doesn't require rebuilding.

Sanity: aluminitus is a form of insanity, so you're over the edge already.

Toys: depends what they are. Don't lose your rivet gun.

Good luck.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
People were thinking that I was crazy, but fortunately I found the Airstream Forums.
They have been helping me from day one and I didn't know a flashlight from a foghorn. Well I do know that much but I have tools now, much quicker when fixing all the things that break, might break, could have broken or will break. READ ON......
I have fixed everything on my trailer by myself using their instructions, humor, patience, photos, and the fact that they are the nicest people you could ever want to meet. I hope to meet all of them just as soon as I get a bigger truck to tow my AS with. I broke my transmission pulling my BA (Big Ass Full of All My Crap that I didn't really need) all the way to Montana. My mechanic was so mad. He said THAT PART never breaks....I said I was sorry, could he please TRY to fix it. He did, of course I never seem to have enough money, but I learned to paint. After my back went bad, it turns out I am a pretty good artist, now he likes to trade his mechanic work on my cars for art. He told me NEVER TOW THAT TRAILER WITH THIS CAR AGAIN!!!! Or he will not fix it. So when you need help, you have found the right place to go. Even just to be entertained, you can read my story, "Did anyone ever have a bear ......" A lot of people must have liked it because they wrote back to me. Good luck with your Airstream and have fun!

cclarkego
AKA the bear lady from California
cclarkego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:41 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Drummond Island , Michigan
Welcome to Airstream U. by the time you are finished with the curriculum you will have attained a Ph.d in Airstream. It is an education but the finishing the project is something to be proud of. Don't look at the entire mountain just do the parts that will let you use the A/S now and then take on individual projects that will make the use more enjoyable.
Ahzmyrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:54 PM   #10
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Wink

"Read forum before this happens to you!"

Curt, don't beat yourself up to bad.

Unfortunately, you are not the first and you won't be the last.

Just look on the classified section or eBay.

You will sort it out.
There is plenty of seasoned experts here on this forum.

ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:51 PM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
We bought a Sovereign that was in good shape, then proceeded to jack up the a/c shroud and build a new trailer under it. We replaced everything you did (and re-replaced the fridge/cooling unit 6 times!) and then some. While we were living in it. So, cheer up, it could be worse. It could be raining.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Curt.

First, I would suggest that you get a "service manual".

That, in itself, will answer many of your questions, plus provide many instructions, drawings, schematics, and "how to's".

After you receive the manual, you will have a far superior knowledge of what your getting into, and most importantly, how to properly get "into it". It won't answer all of your questions, but it does a pretty good job overall.

From that, your confidence will take a huge leap forward, that at least you won't be in the dark, and most likely not run into a brick wall.

Prepare a budget, for what the trailer needs to be completely operational again, as well as for your time. That will steer you in the right direction, towards the end results that you wish to achieve with the trailer.

The manual will also help you when asking questions, since you then can be more specific.

Andy

Quote:

Curt
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:35 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Lorton , Virginia
Wow - Andy, you suggested a budget! Wish I'd thought of that...glad I'm none too good with addin'! As my husband says, "If we had just waited, then we'd have been able to put $xxxxx into a NEWER trailer and not had to do the work!!" He just hasn't caught the bug yet!

And, I also got a GREAT deal on my AS...then started the "small" repairs it needed...then discovered the BIG repairs it needed...decided to gut it...and found all SORTS of fun things that weren't such a good deal (that rear bath and the associated floor rot really is a doozy!).

But, the kids and I love her - and my husband will come around as soon as she's shiny!
ltenbrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:48 PM   #14
Rivet Master

The cool thing is that after you get it completed is going to the rally's and impressing everyone on the great rebuild you did. I will love to see and hear how you rebuilt that thing-a-ma-jig. Good luck. Your gonna be a genius!
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:24 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltenbrink View Post
Wow - Andy, you suggested a budget! Wish I'd thought of that...glad I'm none too good with addin'! As my husband says, "If we had just waited, then we'd have been able to put $xxxxx into a NEWER trailer and not had to do the work!!" He just hasn't caught the bug yet!

And, I also got a GREAT deal on my AS...then started the "small" repairs it needed...then discovered the BIG repairs it needed...decided to gut it...and found all SORTS of fun things that weren't such a good deal (that rear bath and the associated floor rot really is a doozy!).

But, the kids and I love her - and my husband will come around as soon as she's shiny!
After you complete the project, you will by far, love your Airstream better than a new one. It becomes a close family member sonner than you think.

You will know how everything ticks, and why, and if it doesn't, you will be able to solve the issue in a heartbeat.

Be careful about the shiny, depending on how close to salt water the trailer may be located, it may not be a good idea.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:33 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Hi there,

Hey don't worry too much. Having an Airstream and just learning how they work, fixing everything is kind of like going to school again, but much more enjoyable, well most of the time. It does not matter if you get it JUST right on this one. Who would ever think that a big pile of aluminum could be so much fun. Take your time, get it running safely and go out there and explore...

Carol
cclarkego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:16 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
1948 22' Liner
1963 22' Safari
Oakland , Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to MsRivet
It's one thing to buy vintage and know going into the project what lies ahead. But buying an Airstream that you think is OK and finding out later it is not so . . is devastating to say the least. Slow the roll and remember - Man made it. Man can fix it. (or woman)
MsRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:16 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
You need to assess if the floor rot can be patched or a total panel replacement is needed. That would involve considerably more work. There are past threads if you search.

Andy is right about planning a budget now. From what you describe you could easily spend 10 grand, and a lot of time. You could get something in good shape now for less. So you may want to get out now. On the other hand if you go ahead you will have a reliable coach that you know by heart at a fraction of the cost of new.

There are new photocopies of the 72 service manual available from Secretarial Services in Jackson Center Ohio.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:19 AM   #19
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRivet View Post
It's one thing to buy vintage and know going into the project what lies ahead. But buying an Airstream that you think is OK and finding out later it is not so . . is devastating to say the least. Slow the roll and remember - Man made it. Man can fix it. (or woman)
Was thinking the same thing, that would for sure be a bumber way to start out.

FAITH UP, lots of folks around here 'ta help out. Some may say they would rather work on 'em than use 'm.

FWIW...take lot's of disassembly photo's and keep a log book, or start a work in progress thread here you can reference.

budgets are for wuses, plus they make you sadder the more you bust 'em. THINK...whats the best way.... not the budget way

Good Luck....
Old 01-24-2010, 08:25 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
portland , Oregon
Quote:
I thought was a "good deal"

I suppose that depends on what you paid for it... :-)
mrsdinapoli is offline   Reply With Quote