Old 01-23-2010, 11:24 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltenbrink View Post
Wow - Andy, you suggested a budget! Wish I'd thought of that...glad I'm none too good with addin'! As my husband says, "If we had just waited, then we'd have been able to put $xxxxx into a NEWER trailer and not had to do the work!!" He just hasn't caught the bug yet!

And, I also got a GREAT deal on my AS...then started the "small" repairs it needed...then discovered the BIG repairs it needed...decided to gut it...and found all SORTS of fun things that weren't such a good deal (that rear bath and the associated floor rot really is a doozy!).

But, the kids and I love her - and my husband will come around as soon as she's shiny!
After you complete the project, you will by far, love your Airstream better than a new one. It becomes a close family member sonner than you think.

You will know how everything ticks, and why, and if it doesn't, you will be able to solve the issue in a heartbeat.

Be careful about the shiny, depending on how close to salt water the trailer may be located, it may not be a good idea.

Andy

Old 01-23-2010, 11:33 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Hi there,

Hey don't worry too much. Having an Airstream and just learning how they work, fixing everything is kind of like going to school again, but much more enjoyable, well most of the time. It does not matter if you get it JUST right on this one. Who would ever think that a big pile of aluminum could be so much fun. Take your time, get it running safely and go out there and explore...

Carol

Old 01-24-2010, 07:16 AM   #17
Have trailer..will travel

2004 28' International CCD
1948 22' Liner
Oakland , Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to MsRivet
It's one thing to buy vintage and know going into the project what lies ahead. But buying an Airstream that you think is OK and finding out later it is not so . . is devastating to say the least. Slow the roll and remember - Man made it. Man can fix it. (or woman)
Old 01-24-2010, 08:16 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
You need to assess if the floor rot can be patched or a total panel replacement is needed. That would involve considerably more work. There are past threads if you search.

Andy is right about planning a budget now. From what you describe you could easily spend 10 grand, and a lot of time. You could get something in good shape now for less. So you may want to get out now. On the other hand if you go ahead you will have a reliable coach that you know by heart at a fraction of the cost of new.

There are new photocopies of the 72 service manual available from Secretarial Services in Jackson Center Ohio.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:19 AM   #19
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRivet View Post
It's one thing to buy vintage and know going into the project what lies ahead. But buying an Airstream that you think is OK and finding out later it is not so . . is devastating to say the least. Slow the roll and remember - Man made it. Man can fix it. (or woman)
Was thinking the same thing, that would for sure be a bumber way to start out.

FAITH UP, lots of folks around here 'ta help out. Some may say they would rather work on 'em than use 'm.

FWIW...take lot's of disassembly photo's and keep a log book, or start a work in progress thread here you can reference.

budgets are for wuses, plus they make you sadder the more you bust 'em. THINK...whats the best way.... not the budget way

Good Luck....

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:25 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelin View Post
I thought was a "good deal"

I suppose that depends on what you paid for it... :-)
Old 01-24-2010, 11:42 PM   #21
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I was originally looking at what I thought was a good deal until I started asking questions on this forum. The "good deal" I was considering was pretty much what you purchased right down to the year. The advise I got was that the purchase price should be considered the down payment because a trailer of that age will need pretty much everything you have listed plus a few hidden surprises at one point or another. I was told that it was getting time for the appliances to need replacing, etc. I often say that I have two left hands and they are both all thumbs when it comes to renovations and repairing things. I could envision having the A/C go out one of our trips to Florida (frequent destination for my family) or having the refrigerator go out on another trip. I felt like I would either spend as much the first few years for repairs as I would on monthly payments or have the frustration of having nearly every trip overshadowed by which system that decided to tank on that trip. That is why I decided to go with a new Airstream when I bought ours in 2006.

This advise/experience comes too late for you, but just consider the purchase price to be the beginning of the expenses of owning a vintage Airstream. Once all repairs are completed and out of the way, you will have an Airstream that you will be proud of and derive great enjoyment from.

Hope this helps any nooby in search of a great deal on a vintage Airstream. Just know what you are getting into.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:08 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Des Moines , Washington
Much Thanks to all!!!
Over the weekend I lost it and just started into it! I decided to repair/replace, repair the rear floor section, eventually replace appliances. I have removed rear bath upto the twin bunk bulkheads and removed the last "sheet" 4' of plywood. Question? I know the tank flange should screw off, is it glued also? Cleaned out "mess" that was there, frame looks good for the enviroment. I hope to have the floor buttoned up by this weekend. Sorry I did not take photos, I didn't want any evidence!! ha ha. I have all the original appliances available to a good home!! Contact me. Here the "most" asked question, price...It was originally advertised at $3900. But " do to his hardship and no would even come to look at it! I picked it up for $600, I knew I would have to put money and sweat equity into it! Just not this much!! So I guess I am in it for the long haul now! Once again Big Thanks to all!!!

Curt
Old 01-26-2010, 10:52 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Lacey , Washington State
Enjoy Creating a Custom Vintage Trailer

We are in the middle of the rehab stage on our trailer. This forum has saved our courage through this process - mine especially. My husband always likes to keep things original. I love custom. We are doing both. We keep what we can and custom the what needs changed.

Keep the up the courage!

http://www.youtube.com/Empresspublishing

http://thoughtsfromwisdom.blogspot.com/
JLJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:12 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Lacey , Washington
Curt,
We just live "down the street" from you and own a '78 Argosy 27ft and know the feeling. This site is in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho and they are very helpful and have zillions of parts. If you have not seen it look it up.
jjairstream@gmail.com

http://www.ericksonsrv.com/
Old 01-26-2010, 02:31 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelin View Post
I picked it up for $600...
Hi Curt,

For $600, you got a great deal, even if you do need to do major repairs and replacements in my opinion.

Our Little Girl is also a 72 31’ Sovereign, and we’re doing a major rebuild of her. If you’re at all interested, take a look at our thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f185...urb-50967.html. Unfortunately, we are in a down period since she’s currently hibernating for the winter.

The tank flange was just screwed onto our black tank. But, it was quite hard to get off. I ended up cutting a piece of angle iron that fit into the slots in the top of the flange, and then used a fairly big pipe wrench to break the flange free – all the while praying to the tank and flange gods that it would come free without actually breaking off. I think there was some sort of sealer applied to the threads that helped make it water and order-tight, but also acted like strong lock-tite.

Good luck!
Chris
Old 01-27-2010, 07:10 AM   #26
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
$600! Wow, there are a lot of folks on this forum that paid way more for their Airstreams and still had to do the same repairs that you are talking about. I think you did good. Way better than the "good" deal that I was looking at back in 2004. Congratulations.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:31 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
How do you figure out what your Airstream is worth? I am wondering if I got a good deal now...

cclarkego
Old 01-31-2010, 01:01 PM   #28
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by cclarkego View Post
How do you figure out what your Airstream is worth? I am wondering if I got a good deal now...

cclarkego
If you like it, and it isn't a rolling wreck, consider it a good deal. It could always have been cheaper, unless it was free, and it could always have been better, unless it was brand new. Sometimes, not even then, but that's a story for another thread.