Old 07-22-2013, 11:49 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Seattle , Washington
Noob: flooded it twice on my first journey!

You'd think I would've learned the first time. But nope. Twice I forgot and left the water pump on. Twice I must've hit a good sized bump that turned on the kitchen faucet... And since the sink has a cover... Twice I realized once I stopped that I had water everywhere- the second time (hilariously) I was passing an Airstream dealer. So they were gracious enough to help me out with some towels

I'm wondering, am I the only one who has done this? I think maybe I'll tie the sink closed in the future, just in case I forget again!

I felt totally dumb. Hah.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:11 AM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Welcome to the Air Forums and to life on the road.

This kind of mishap occurs because you have not established a routine of checks before travel.

You may be on holidays, but the responsibility is still yours to see that all systems are secured for travel.

Make a small decal that you can place maybe on the lower windshield until you have the routine down pat.

When you get this under control, I am sure something else will make life interesting.

I can remember the first day with our motorhome and MGW set a gallon jug of water on the counter and off we went. I also had to mop up that day.

I also use "the ribbon system" when I have the TV/Sat antennas up. Just tie the ribbon on the steering wheel as a reminder to do your final check.

Dave

"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I don't need no stinkin' list!

That used to be my attitude until a series of very minor mistakes convinced me that I may not NEED a list, but I WANT one because I'm lazy - and cheap. Forget to fold up the step ONE time and catch a roadside rock used as a border for the campground driveway. Or forget to check that the refrigerator successfully went to propane and end up throwing out green meat!

You either spend 3 hours cleaning up a mess, or $800 repairing it... or both.

Doesn't really matter how you organize your list, as long as you remember that some things must also be done in a certain ORDER too. I remember someone else who removed the wheel chocks and then tried to hook up, with the trailer at the top of a hilly site....

Turning off lights, pumps and other electrical appliances is important for battery life as well as avoiding floods. Oh, and the sink covers CAN launch like lethal frisbees if you have to panic brake. I use mine for more counter space while cooking (flip it over and use the bottom side as my cutting board - leaves the top looking nice), but when underway, it's tucked under the couch cushion.

One of the simplest final steps? Pull off the site and stop within 100 feet. Walk back and look around. Did you retract your jack post, but leave the stand in the dirt? Do you really think you won't want those leveling blocks again?

Get the list - make the list - have more time for camping FUN.

Paula
Old 07-23-2013, 01:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I haven't done that yet, but we had a problem with being able to tell if the water pump was on or off. I installed a bright red LED on the monitor face, that lights up when the water pump is on. I took the sink covers out of my trailer; I have no use for them. I keep a plastic tub in one sink and a dish rack in the other one.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:04 AM   #5
AlaskaSafari

1997 25' Safari
Fairbanks , Alaska
Send a message via MSN to AlaskaSafari
Lists are a lifesaver... and a dollar saver too. Maybe I'm just getting old and senile, or older and more senile, but having a checklist has kept me from forgetting to lock stowage doors, leaving the ratchet for the wheel chocks on the picnic table, forgetting to put the velcro straps on both awning arms, etc. Once you get a good list written, it's easy to run down the list to make sure you're ready to roll...

You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment... ~ Thoreau
AlaskaSafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:31 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
My wife packed what I thought was way too many towels until we flooded the trailer. Now when she packs way too many towels I don't say anything. You never know. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:48 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
We sometimes leave our pump on while traveling (not intentionally) - how loose is your faucet that a bump turns it on? I'd check that out... we've never had a faucet come on while we're on the road.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I don't need no stinkin' list!

That used to be my attitude until a series of very minor mistakes convinced me that I may not NEED a list, but I WANT one because I'm lazy - and cheap. Forget to fold up the step ONE time and catch a roadside rock used as a border for the campground driveway. Or forget to check that the refrigerator successfully went to propane and end up throwing out green meat!

You either spend 3 hours cleaning up a mess, or $800 repairing it... or both.

Doesn't really matter how you organize your list, as long as you remember that some things must also be done in a certain ORDER too. I remember someone else who removed the wheel chocks and then tried to hook up, with the trailer at the top of a hilly site....

Turning off lights, pumps and other electrical appliances is important for battery life as well as avoiding floods. Oh, and the sink covers CAN launch like lethal frisbees if you have to panic brake. I use mine for more counter space while cooking (flip it over and use the bottom side as my cutting board - leaves the top looking nice), but when underway, it's tucked under the couch cushion.

One of the simplest final steps? Pull off the site and stop within 100 feet. Walk back and look around. Did you retract your jack post, but leave the stand in the dirt? Do you really think you won't want those leveling blocks again?

Get the list - make the list - have more time for camping FUN.

Paula
Paula - how do you verify that your refrigerator went from electric to propane? I don't think my domestic has any visual light to indicate this. I would love to know how to check it.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:49 AM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourstruly View Post
You'd think I would've learned the first time. But nope. Twice I forgot and left the water pump on. Twice I must've hit a good sized bump that turned on the kitchen faucet... And since the sink has a cover... Twice I realized once I stopped that I had water everywhere- the second time (hilariously) I was passing an Airstream dealer. So they were gracious enough to help me out with some towels

I'm wondering, am I the only one who has done this? I think maybe I'll tie the sink closed in the future, just in case I forget again!

I felt totally dumb. Hah.
Actually, the cause might be different than you think. My Interstate has a sink with a hinged lid and a fold-down faucet. However, the faucet must be shut off— in the cold position! If you have it set to hot when you fold fown the lid, the lid will touch the lever, and open the faucet.

Once I realized what was happening and made sure to turn the faucet to cold first before closing the lid, I've never again had the faucet open itself by hitting a bump.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:16 AM   #10
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Yes you are not alone. Don't ask how I know this but I do keep a few of those highly absorbent yellow "whatever they are called" sham-wow's around. I am very conscious about checking the water pump switch too. We've missed it a few times but only flooded out once.

Oh, Bonginator. On the front of the refrigerator there should be a control panel with a light indicating AC ( shore power) and gas ( propane). If you are on gas and plug the trailer in to power it " should" automatically switch itself over to AC and visa-versa if the auto button is pushed. You can also do it manually. I think this is pretty universal across the Dometic reefers.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:13 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Seattle , Washington
Thanks for all the tips and help, I'll try some of these suggestions out! I've been meaning to do the list thing, just hadn't gotten around to it. I'll check the faucet too, it's bumped itself open a number of times already. I didn't have anything to compare it to and figured that was just what they did
Old 07-25-2013, 02:31 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
As a yoot, my time in the Navy was spent in submarines, and a large part of who I am was instilled into my very being. One little screwup can send a boat to the bottom and everybody dies. In that environment, here is no room for error, hence a checklist for "rig for dive" and "rig for surface". Every valve is either open or shut and every switch is either on or off. If it moves, it is either rigged for use, or stowed for getting underway. Every item is checked and double checked. There are no excuses or mistakes. I also made up a bunch of flags using 2 feet of orange ribbon and a spring clothespin to mark stuff odd stuff like an up antenna, unlatched cooking vent, and awning locks. Prior to moving, I do a walk around to recheck every thing, and after pulling off the campsite, I do an overview to see nothing is left behind. IWFM
Old 07-25-2013, 05:51 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post
Paula - how do you verify that your refrigerator went from electric to propane? I don't think my domestic has any visual light to indicate this. I would love to know how to check it.
Mine has a display that shows the frig temp and if it's on 120 or LP.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
Snedwid: Some day these smart young minds will come up with a 'Christmas tree' for us old bubbleheads!