Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2015, 08:23 PM   #1
Looking 4 new adventures

1996 28' Excella
Englewood , Ohio
No water

Just bought a 1996 28' Excella Widebody and I have no water flow either via a city water hookup or via pump and the water tank? i need help!
garympeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I have had the aireator/screens at the output of the faucets get stopped up with crud that came loose from the interior of the water heater and prevented water flow. You might check those aireator/screens.

You did not say, but do you have no water at any of the faucets, or the shower, or the toilet?
Old 04-28-2015, 09:05 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
From your registered location, I wonder if you have the valves set 'off',...as in 'winter mode'... do you have the manual? You can download from the Mothership...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:16 AM   #4
Looking 4 new adventures

1996 28' Excella
Englewood , Ohio
Has water....now no water!

Just bought a 1996 28' Excella Widebody. Initially I had water flow when dewinterizing the unit then about half way thru the process no water flow either via a city water hookup or via pump and the water tank? I need help!
Old 04-29-2015, 07:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Do you have water flow at the tub/shower? What about the toilet? If you have water at those two, but not the sinks, then the aerators in the faucets got clogged. Pretty common while de-winterizing.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:41 AM   #6
Looking 4 new adventures

1996 28' Excella
Englewood , Ohio
I have no water flow at any location. I had water flow when rinsing out the faucets and toilet, then all water flow stopped.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:54 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by garympeck View Post
Just bought a 1996 28' Excella Widebody. Initially I had water flow when dewinterizing the unit then about half way thru the process no water flow either via a city water hookup or via pump and the water tank? I need help!
You're still not providing a whole lot of information that readers can use to remotely diagnose the problem.

First, if you have municipal water connected, your pump isn't going to work even if you switch it on. The city water pressure prevents the pump's pressure switch from activating the pump. So let's not worry about the pump right now. Turn it off and work on municipal water only for now.

Second, have you checked for leaks? If water is coming in but not going to the faucets, then it has to be going somewhere. Check your low point drains and make sure they're actually closed. Then start opening cabinets and tracing your water lines beginning at the municipal water intake to see if you can find a leak. Keep at least one faucet cracked open to allow water to flow if it can. Note that a leak is more likely than a clog, and if none of the water gets to the faucets, then a complete break in the line is more likely than a small leak.

Once you've determined if there's any leaks, report back to us and tell us what you found, and we'll figure out where to go from there.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:02 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Pull the low drains and see if you have water in the water lines. Check for water flow again from both the pump and the city water inlet with the low point drains open. If you have no water flow out of the low point drains, then as odd as it sounds, you might have two problems. One is the inlet filter on the water pump. The other one is the check valve on the city water inlet.

On your trailer, is there an inline water filter? I know some airstreams have one, but I don't know what years do and do not. If you have an inline filter, it's probably clogged. I would check that first if you have one.

Another test would be to hook up a garden hose to one of the faucets. You'll need an adapter to do that. Then you can run water into that faucet and see if you get water out of the other faucets.
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:23 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
I have no water flow at any location. I had water flow when rinsing out the faucets and toilet, then all water flow stopped.
Based on that, I would wager your aireator/screens are clogged. I've had it happen several times when de-winterizing.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:28 AM   #10

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Based on that, I would wager your aireator/screens are clogged. I've had it happen several times when de-winterizing.
Does the toilet even have an aerator/screen?
Old 04-29-2015, 08:30 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Does the toilet even have an aerator/screen?
No, but at this point I'm doubting the totality of the info we are getting.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:38 AM   #12

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
No, but at this point I'm doubting the totality of the info we are getting.
As am I. It's a lot harder to talk someone through the troubleshooting process so that he can find the problem than it is to just offer solutions once the OP has done his own troubleshooting and identified the problem.

The OP has not told us the problem, he only told us a symptom of the problem. Unless we can help him find the problem first, I very much doubt that us tossing solutions at him will help very much.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:56 AM   #13
Looking 4 new adventures

1996 28' Excella
Englewood , Ohio
All aerators have been removed and there is no aerator or screen in the toilet. I have told you all that has happened!
Old 04-29-2015, 09:11 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
At this point if it were just the pump output, or just the city water not working, it would give us a clue, but since you have no water from either, and the aerators are not plugged, I just don't know.

The water from the pump comes into the system at a different place than the water from the city hookup, so a plugged line is unlikely.

You actually might want to call Airstream and talk with them. I have found them very helpful in the past.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:19 AM   #15

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
All aerators have been removed and there is no aerator or screen in the toilet. I have told you all that has happened!
Have you checked for leaks? If so did you find any? Have you checked the low point drains? Were they closed? Aside from removing the aerators, have you done anything else we suggested to troubleshoot the problem? There's no need to panic. Troubleshooting a problem consists of trying everything until you discover the source of the problem, and it takes patience.

Here's another option for troubleshooting. Disconnect the hose from the municipal water inlet. Attach a blowout plug. Open a faucet, doesn't matter which one. Have someone inside watching the faucet. Blow compressed air into the system just like if you were winterizing. Does air come out the faucet?
Old 04-29-2015, 09:28 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
J Initially I had water flow when dewinterizing the unit

When you de-winterized, were you using city water or the pump/FW tank when you had the initial water flow?

Quote:
about half way thru the process no water flow
Was the water coming out of the AS faucets and it stopped or were the faucets closed and you opened one and no water came out?

Quote:
no water flow either via a city water hookup or via pump and the water tank?
Have you disconnected the hose from the AS city water inlet? (make sure you aren't connected to the black water flush inlet; common error.) If you have disconnected the water from the AS and the water pump is "on" does the water pump come on when you open a spigot in the trailer? (I'm assuming you have the store/use switch set to use or you have external 110vac power connected to power the AS.)
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:28 PM   #17
Looking 4 new adventures

1996 28' Excella
Englewood , Ohio
Here's the latest. Tonight I tried using the water in the holding tank (on the curbside of the unit) and the pump would run for 15 seconds then turn off when pressure was adequate. No water came out of the kitchen sink, the shower, the toilet and the bathroom sink. I then connected to city water (street side of the unit) and I had water in the bathroom, both sink and toilet, the water heater filled (street side also) but I had no water from any curbside outlet (shower and kitchen sink). Is there a valve that separates the curbside piping from the street side piping?
Old 04-29-2015, 07:36 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
A little terminology. The water tank is just that, the water tank. There are one or two holding tanks - one for the toilet (black tank) and another for the sinks and shower (gray water). The potable water tank (curbside) is not called a "holding tank".

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:45 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Here's the latest. Tonight I tried using the water in the holding tank (on the curbside of the unit) and the pump would run for 15 seconds then turn off when pressure was adequate. No water came out of the kitchen sink, the shower, the toilet and the bathroom sink. I then connected to city water (street side of the unit) and I had water in the bathroom, both sink and toilet, the water heater filled (street side also) but I had no water from any curbside outlet (shower and kitchen sink). Is there a valve that separates the curbside piping from the street side piping?

Definitely seems like a blockage or a closed valve. Is there any way you can contact the previous owner? If not, try contacting Airstream support. They usually answer in a day or less.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:47 AM   #20
Looking 4 new adventures

1996 28' Excella
Englewood , Ohio
The latest. I have running water in the streetside bathroom by city water and pumped water. The pump works fine. I have no water flow on the curbside kitchen sink and shower. Is there any type of shutoff that would interrupt the flow after the pump?