Old 03-25-2015, 05:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
No Service Centers close by

Greetings all.

So, what kind of experience have folks had with Airstream, Inc. when it comes to getting recall or warranty work performed when you are far away from an actual Airstream service center?

For example, I now have to recalls on my 2014 25FB. My problem is I am not going to tow it down to Seattle from Anchorage just to have the work performed. I was advised to contact a local company and have them get in touch with Airstream, Inc. to get authorization for payment.

Of two places I have called so far, I can tell you the sentiment was lukewarm at best regarding doing work for Airstream. The one place said they typically will pay...what Airstream thinks they should pay....not necessarily what the shop normally charges.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Mark
(Preparing to emerge from hibernation)

Old 03-25-2015, 06:01 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
Understandable to a degree (you do live in a high COL area). I believe that it's a risk you take...(a good friend of mine lives in HI and suffers through a lot of things that he wasn't acustomed to state-side)

Sorry, I'm not trying to be dismissive, just realistic.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:08 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzero-AK View Post
Of two places I have called so far, I can tell you the sentiment was lukewarm at best regarding doing work for Airstream. The one place said they typically will pay...what Airstream thinks they should pay....not necessarily what the shop normally charges.

What do you think?
I think that a local shop negotiating with Airstream regarding payment for warranty work is not so very different from a local shop negotiating with an insurance company regarding repairs under an insurance claim.

The key here is making sure the local company is made aware that whatever Airstream pays is all that will be paid; warranty repairs don't have a deductible.

On the other hand, even if the local shop tries to charge you over and above what Airstream will pay, if your share is cheaper than hauling the trailer down to Seattle, you're still ahead of the game, just not as far ahead.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Normally Airstream requires that all warranty work be performed by a authorized Airstream dealer or service center. But why did you ask this on here? The Airstream Company has both telephones and e-mail and they certainly would be the best source of the information you're after not Air Forums. They might make an exception for you due to the remote location but you need to call their customer service.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:32 PM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Mark,
Some things on RV's.. even AS are fairly straight forward. Yes, there may be negotiating done by the local RV folks and the Mothership.

Perhaps you can negotiate with the Mothership to do the work yourself?
cwf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:26 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
I am from the central Okanagan Valley in BC and am lucky enough to have now what I would consider one of the best A/S dealers just an hour down the road in Penticton.
The last A/S I bought, however was from a dealer 1500KM away before the Penticton dealer existed.
When I had some warranty issues, they ( TRX) were good enough to work with A/S and have them send me the pieces I had to have fixed under
warranty which included a water pump and front plexiglass for my front wrap around window protectors.
Airstream was very willing to accommodate me on this so maybe as has been stated, give them a call and work something out.

George
Old 03-26-2015, 07:25 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
When I worked we had dealers, similar in context to the AS Dealer network. When we had warranty repairs we had a set price WE established for dealers compensation for their labor in doing the warranty work. There was no profit or overhead built into these remunerations to the dealer for this work. Therefore, when a dealer did or does warranty work they make no money; they are covered for a set labor fee - so much per hour and even the warranty event has a time limit on it set by factory engineers.

My suspicion is the AS warranty program works the same in talking with our local AS dealer. Therefore as Protagonist suggested approach the SOB RV dealer, have them contact AS and get the warranty work order number and how much AS will pay and offer the dealer a 20% "spiff" over the labor rate, discuss with the owner or GM. In general they need a profit of not less than 17% just to cover their expenses and keep the doors open, they will not get that from AS, as pointed out they probably will get no profit paid.

May seem like something is wrong in this picture but the reason these warranty repair policies are established and seldom deviated from is some dealers cannot be trusted, so all have to come under the "policy".

Good luck, fortunately we only drive an hour each way for our AS dealer.
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:40 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
jackson center , Ohio
Both recalls are straight forward as to time needed and parts needed.Airstream will pay their posted labor rate to do the recalls and any parts required will be provided by Airstream.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:12 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Willow street , Pennsylvania
AS customer service

A bit off topic perhaps, but I have now tried multiple times on two different days to contact AS customer service via two separate numbers listed on the website without success. First time, the automated response stated that they would call me back in 24 to 48 hours! Never happened. Yesterday, called twice, put on hold, then, later told to leave my number and they would return my call. Never happened. What gives with a company that has the well earned reputation of AS? Hopefully, a local AS dealer in Florida where we are now traveling will be able to help me with my non functioning Samsung television in the living area of my new 2014 Flying Cloud FB. Audio but no video.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Did you leave your home phone number by mistake? I did that once while traveling.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:05 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU View Post
Normally Airstream requires that all warranty work be performed by a authorized Airstream dealer or service center. But why did you ask this on here? The Airstream Company has both telephones and e-mail and they certainly would be the best source of the information you're after not Air Forums. They might make an exception for you due to the remote location but you need to call their customer service.
1st - Thanks all for the replies...

K4GLU - I posted this hear to find out what kind of experience others had with similar situations. I was not trying to get my issue resolved here.

2nd - I am not talking about a "warranty" problem here, this is a NHTSA recall. I am sure Airstream wants to have a reputable service center replace the items in the recall and have proper documentation that this fix if in place. I would certainly replace the screws that hold the LP tanks in place and be done with it.

Airstream, Inc. told me to call the local RV repair shops and to have the shops call them to make arrangements to complete the repairs. That puts me back at square 1. Of the two local shops I have contacted so far, one basically told me that they weren't interested in performing the repair. The other said they would look into it, but thought that Airstream would not pay them what they charge.

Mark
WL7NI
Old 03-26-2015, 09:30 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB International
Campbell River , British Columbia
I live on Vancouver Island and the nearest AS dealer is in Langley near Vancouver. The ferries are a $500 for both ways. They agreed to send me the parts for the propane tray recall and have asked me to have a dealer install them. Any dealer. This is a 5 minute job. Now, if I run into something serious like a water leak, or popping rivets etc.... I might consider making the trip. Otherwise I will do my own repairs. I always wanted an AS, and I now know that it comes with some inconveniences and I accept that. I full timed for a few years and being a camper involves learning things like plumbing, caulking, electrical and the list goes on.
So, subzero AK, if your recall is about the propane tray, do it ypurself. Piece of cake. I might even drill and put in stainless bolts with lock nuts and install a lock at the same time, like a member posted a few days ago.

Al
Old 03-26-2015, 09:33 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB International
Campbell River , British Columbia
Forgot to add that I don't mind paying a local dealer, if I have to, and avoid the trip. Owning a $70k rig means that I can probably afford to pay a hundred bucks for some labor/help, if I need to.

Al
Old 03-27-2015, 10:16 AM   #14
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
It might be easier to open your own AS dealership.