Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-27-2009, 06:04 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Layton , Utah
no pressure when connected to city water

Hello all: I just joined and have a question about my 1969 Tradewind. I am getting it ready for travel, cleaning out the pipes from winter. When I connect to city water, I have no water pressure in trailer. Just dribbles out faucets. When I switch to water tank and pump, I get water trying to come out the city water connection. I thought at first it was a water pressure problem but I took the pressure regulator apart and all is working fine. If I tighten it or loosen it, it doesn't make a difference when on city water, still no water on inside of trailer. I can't find any leaks. Any ideas? Thanks for any suggestions.

Tom
tombhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 06:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tombhs View Post
Hello all: I just joined and have a question about my 1969 Tradewind. I am getting it ready for travel, cleaning out the pipes from winter. When I connect to city water, I have no water pressure in trailer. Just dribbles out faucets. When I switch to water tank and pump, I get water trying to come out the city water connection. I thought at first it was a water pressure problem but I took the pressure regulator apart and all is working fine. If I tighten it or loosen it, it doesn't make a difference when on city water, still no water on inside of trailer. I can't find any leaks. Any ideas? Thanks for any suggestions.

Tom
1. Replace the water regulator.
2. Locate and replace the brass water check valves.
There will be one at the pump and another at the rear of the trailer near the water regulator.
3. Remove all the screen filters from each faucet and clean them as well.
4. If the water pump is not working properly, there is a rebuild kit for it.

I am making reference to the way the trailer was originally built.

If someone modified it, then help will usually be hard to find, since no one would be aware of the exact changes.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 06:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
There is also a check valve near or next to the regulator , if the water comes out the city connection when the pump is running it needs repair or replace. If water is dribbling with either pump or city check the strainers at the faucets , they may be clogged from sitting too long. good luck.
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 06:44 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Layton , Utah
Thanks for the input.....where is the "regulator" and "check valve" that you mentioned? Is the regulator the same as the pressure regulator? What does a brass check valve look like and where might it be? Thanks again
Old 06-27-2009, 07:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks for the input.....where is the "regulator" and "check valve" that you mentioned? Is the regulator the same as the pressure regulator? What does a brass check valve look like and where might it be? Thanks again
Regulator, pressure regulator, water pressure regulator, are all the same.

The check valves are hex shaped brass and are in line with the water lines at the rear near the regulator and at the water pump.

Your trailer also has, or had, a high pressure pop off valve, that may or may not leak when hook to a high pressure water source. If it's bad, water will come out of the bottom of the trailer at the rear, but only when hooked to city water.

Was that trailer parked in staorage for an extended period of time?

If so, there are many other issues that will soon pop up, such as exterior gaskets, bad tail light cans and lenses, bad clearance lights, leaks around some windows, such as the stack and vista view windows, wing windows, etc.

Again, yours may be different if someone has modified the trailer.

40 year old check valves, should be replaced,and if it's the original water pump, it should be rebuilt.

Andy
Old 06-28-2009, 10:05 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Layton , Utah
Andy: Thanks again. I see the regulator and 1 check valve next to it. See 1st attached picture. Up front by the pump is a 2nd check valve...I think..see the second picture. I have never had water coming out the bottom of the trailer when hooked up to city water. And no...the trailer has not been stored for a long time. We used it last year. When hooked up to city water last year, pressure was fine. Now, when on the pump, pressure is fine and water flows well inside the trailer...the problem when on the pump is that the water leaks out of the city water input line. This is enough of a problem that it causes the pump to turn on periodically. This is the first time I have had the problem of no water pressure when on city water. Seems from what you are saying that it might be the check valve next to the water pressure regulator that has gone bad. If the one near the pump had gone bad, things would not work well when on tank water. Sound right? If I have to replace these check valves, where do you get them? Why replace the pressure regulator if the problem is the check valve? Thanks again.
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream 001.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	299.4 KB
ID:	83030   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream 002.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	393.9 KB
ID:	83031  

Old 06-28-2009, 10:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy: Thanks again. I see the regulator and 1 check valve next to it. See 1st attached picture. Up front by the pump is a 2nd check valve...I think..see the second picture. I have never had water coming out the bottom of the trailer when hooked up to city water. And no...the trailer has not been stored for a long time. We used it last year. When hooked up to city water last year, pressure was fine. Now, when on the pump, pressure is fine and water flows well inside the trailer...the problem when on the pump is that the water leaks out of the city water input line. This is enough of a problem that it causes the pump to turn on periodically. This is the first time I have had the problem of no water pressure when on city water. Seems from what you are saying that it might be the check valve next to the water pressure regulator that has gone bad. If the one near the pump had gone bad, things would not work well when on tank water. Sound right? If I have to replace these check valves, where do you get them? Why replace the pressure regulator if the problem is the check valve? Thanks again.
Tom
You should remove all the water hose that someone has installed. Obviously, the pipes were frozen at one time, and were repaired improperly.

That type hose, puts a foul taste into the water. There is a huge difference between a lawn hose and drinking water hoses.

We have the check valves.

Andy
Old 06-28-2009, 11:42 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Layton , Utah
Andy: Do you see any check valves in the pictures? Does it look like 3 of them? Why replace water pressure regulator?
Old 06-28-2009, 01:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy: Do you see any check valves in the pictures? Does it look like 3 of them? Why replace water pressure regulator?
I see one check valve that in the photo, is above one end of the water pump.

I see a second one that is just before the regulator.

The device after the regulator, is the high pressure blow off valve.

Andy