Old 07-20-2010, 09:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Bellingham , Washington
No hot water

Hello all,

I'm a new airstream owner and have encountered some issues. Most recent is that I don't have any hot water. One propane tank shows empty on the systems monitor, so I turned the regulator lever to the opposite tank and closed the valve on the tank that the lever was pointing at previously. I don't know if the pilot light is out on the water heater or why there is no hot water now. I am connected to 30 amp electrical service at a KOA.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
What year, size and model is your Airstream?

Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:29 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Bellingham , Washington
It's a 2007 27' FB Classic Limited.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
I'm going to take a stab at this. First, is your stove working on propane? If yes, then you are getting gas in the system and the water heater is at fault. We will return to that later. If not, turn the other tank on, return the regulator lever to its original position and try lighting the stove again. It may take a couple of minutes to get gas to it. Let us know what happens
Old 07-20-2010, 09:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Do you have propane at the stove top? If the water heater line is air bound, lighting the stove burner(s) will pull gas through the lines faster and then try to light the water heater.

Are you sure the other tank (the one that is perhaps full) valve is open?

You can take over the tank cover and lift each tank to see how much they weigh. An empty tank is much, much lighter than a full one. If you remove and return tanks after they are filled, you can get a fair idea of how they weigh full and empty. Monitors can be wrong.

I don't know when electronic ignition came to water heaters (our '08 has it), but you would not have a pilot light if you have electronic ignition. If you have the water heater paperwork it should tell you what kind of ignitor you have.

Some water heaters are dual source—propane or electric. If the electric source is plugged in or the breaker isn't tripped, that should heat it before the propane does—I guess. I don't have one, so I'm guessing. Is there a valve on the water heater to turn off the propane to it? Perhaps a dual source water heater can have the propane turned off and one could use only electric for it.

The ignitor can be dirty, electronics can stop working, etc. There are threads on water heater problems and a search can find them.

Good luck.

Gene
Old 07-20-2010, 09:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
A 2007 Classic should have dual source heating so may we assume the electric heating element is working?
Old 07-20-2010, 10:02 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Bellingham , Washington
The burner on the range will light so I have propane to the unit, but still no hot water. There is a switch panel in the bath with 2 switches with icons of gas and electric. The manual for the hot water heater is Greek/hard to understand.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
Good info. We will try the gas lighting sequence first. Turn the gas switch on. If the red light comes on and remains lit, turn the switch off and try the process two more times, pausing a couple of minutes between each try. Then report back.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:12 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
While we are at it, check all breakers, cycle them on and off to make sure the electric element breaker has not tripped. I know this is all elementary but we need to eliminate possible causes.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:20 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Bellingham , Washington
The light does not come on. I have flipped all breakers off and on.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:23 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
If the light does not remain on and the gas switch is on, the burner should be lit as the light indicates a failure to light. Sorry to ask the silly question but have you gone outside to see if it is burning or not? While we are at it, turn the electric switch on. May we assume you have 120 volt working in the trailer now? Microwave is working, or another 120 volt appliance?
Old 07-20-2010, 10:25 PM   #12
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
It sounds like this could be a 12 volt to the circuit board problem or a failed circuit board.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:29 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
It sounds like this could be a 12 volt to the circuit board problem or a failed circuit board.

I knew someone would jump in with more help. I hope you are wrong but that is about all that is left unless the igniter is bad. But will a 12 volt problem stop the 120 volt element from working as well? I'm learning here so I assume the 12 volt board is necessary to control the thermostat?
Old 07-20-2010, 10:32 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Bellingham , Washington
Greg, thanks for your help. Not sure what I did, but the water heater seems to be working again. Yes, I have opened the compartment outside at the water heater, but I'm not able to see a flame. However the water is warming and that's a good sign. I appreciate your help and look forward to being a better airstreamer. I love my rolling condo!

John