Old 07-20-2010, 10:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
No flame must mean you are working on 120 volt element. Glad I was able to offer some help. My skills are limited. Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:51 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
i think the electric once working would prevent the propane from working, just like the fridge, but this is a guess. So heating via electric doesn't necessarily indicate failure in the gas system. One way to check is to turn off electric and trouble shoot the gas system. My guess is John got the electric to operate as it was turned off. Propane still a question.

Gene

Old 07-20-2010, 10:54 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
i think the electric once working would prevent the propane from working, just like the fridge, but this is a guess. So heating via electric doesn't necessarily indicate failure in the gas system. One way to check is to turn off electric and trouble shoot the gas system. My guess is John got the electric to operate as it was turned off. Propane still a question.

Gene

Gene, on mine, you can use electric and propane at the same time for shortened recovery times. Lots of hot water when its cold outside which keep the wife happy .
Old 07-20-2010, 11:21 PM   #18
x

XXXX , XXXX
110V versus propane

The electric heating element will work in conjunction with the propane to heat the water, not one or the other like the fridge. as long as both switches for the gas and electric are turned on. he states that the red light did not come on. I would check the 12 volt fuses to make sure there is power to the circuit board. New water heaters are DSI ( direct spark ignition), there is no pilot light. If the water heater is calling for heat and the switch is turned on the circuit board will control all actions of the heater to run on propane. You turn on the switch and the red lit should light momentarily. If you listen you should hear the gas valve open ( loud click) followed by a series of small clicks as the ignitor tries to light the gas. If it fails to ignite the red light will come on again. The circuit board is a three try board, it will try this sequence three times and if the gas does not ignite the board will go into lock out mode and the red light will stay illuminated. Turn the switch off and wait several minutes to dissipate any propane left in the burner and try again. Observe and listen for the sequence i described and let me know what exactly happens and I will try to assist. I am a licensed RV tech
Old 07-25-2010, 01:23 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Hi John, how's it going? Check to see if there is a good connection, possibly wiggled loose or had some debris at the thermal cut-off connections in the exterior hot water heater compartment. On two different newer model Airstreams this has failed. We now carry the service kit which includes 2 sets in the package for about 20 dollars. I also have pulled and checked every fuse, it was great hands on practice for me but not the issue, try this first. Then the light and switch (with the gas flame symbol) when set to 1 and not 0 should at the very least light up red if three light attempts do not succeed. It often takes a second start of that switch after turning it off for a few minutes and the next sequence of ignition snaps for the gas to ignite.

Carol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thermalcutoff001.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	107401   Click image for larger version

Name:	thermalcutoff002.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	107402  

Old 08-30-2010, 01:21 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1970 18' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Mulino , Oregon
Water heater won't light

Hi all, and welcome Vhaalen,
Water heater electronic ignitors have been is use on Airstreams for over 15 years. One consistent problem I see that regularly repeats itself here in the PNW is spider webs in the combustion tube. The heater will not light as the presence if even small webs apparently disturbs the air and propane mixing properly. Many an ignitor module or control valve has been replaced I think when the webs were at fault; that includes me once many years ago. I have learned to always disassemble and clean my heater burner tube any time the heater has not been used for more than a few months and does not light off properly; for years this has always worked. I also blow out the big tube with compressed air as well.

This can happen to full timers who use the AC rather than Propane as with no pilot light to cremate them, the spiders will migrate to the warm spot and weave away.. Fall seems to be the worse time for this.
WLJ1943