Old 04-13-2016, 05:18 PM   #1
1970 27' Overlander
Clermont , Florida
Newbies with 71 Overlander named Gypsy

Hello! My husband and I recently purchased our 71 overlander and have started the clean up process and punch list. Good times!

I work from home in legal accounting and homeschool my 9 year old son. My husband is a journeyman electrician who was a heavy machinery mechanic in the Army. We are both very hands on and love to learn how to repair things. On our free time (HA, HA, HA!) we help my mom tend to her 20 acre's.

We became thrilled with the tiny home idea as well as Workamping since he's in construction and able to move freely for work. So we pulled the trigger and brought Gypsy home after numerous failed attempts to purchase a camper. Her name was going to be Amelia, but since we purchased her from actual Gypsy's the name stuck.

So far she seems to need a new hot water heater, all gaskets, resealed, various external lights. My husband is working on checking her brakes and axel. He just finished repacking the bearings and got her new tires.

While starting our punch list we noticed an area of concern in the rear end. I am not sure if this is rear separation, I tried bouncing on bumper to see if any give and nothing. I also looked to see if there was any change in the rubber rail (?) but seems to be at same level. Maybe it's in the beginning stage? Here are some pictures. Hoping you all may have some better insight oh AIRSTREAM GURU's....

Click image for larger version

Name:	bumper 1[1].jpg
Views:	49
Size:	241.1 KB
ID:	260672Click image for larger version

Name:	black tank bumper leak 2[1].jpg
Views:	53
Size:	363.9 KB
ID:	260671Click image for larger version

Name:	bumber external[1].jpg
Views:	48
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	260676Click image for larger version

Name:	20160413_112240[2].jpg
Views:	51
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	260673

Then we noticed we also seem to have a black tank "issue". This could be caused by us not doing something when we plugged in our water source as it backed into our shower. We are thinking it may have been a valve that wasn't opened?

Name:	black water leak[1].jpg
Views:	48
Size:	339.0 KB
ID:	260678

Also have some valves that we are not quite sure what they are. Sure wish we would of figured that out before we turned the water on.

These are in the fresh water tank area

Name:	fresh water valves[1].jpg
Views:	49
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	260675

These are in the black water tank area

Name:	unknown valve[2].jpg
Views:	47
Size:	270.5 KB
ID:	260674

I obtained the usuers manual via, but it's not very helpful. I am in the works of obtaining a 72 service manual since word on the street says not much changed in those years.

Any insight is appreciated!!!

ParksCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:01 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Jackson , Tennessee
Hi and welcome to the Forums! Congratulations on being a '70's Overlander owner; we're kind of fond of ours.

I hate to be the rain on the parade, but somebody has to answer your questions honestly, just as mine were answered when I was at your point in the process.

Unless your trailer spent its life in a barn, you have rear end leak damage. The design of the "flashing" behind the trunk lid makes it behave more like a funnel, directing water right under the plywood subfloor. The full extent of the damage is only determined by dropping the belly pan, at least in the rear.

Your black tank picture shows some changes made by a PO, which deepens the mystery of what you might find when you drop the belly pan.

The axle, unless it is a replacement, is over 20 years past its useful life and must be replaced.

Regarding the plumbing and valves, most folks don't trust the original copper at that age and replace with pex. The service manual you ordered will help here. Those valves at the rear hatch are for opening the aft drains for the water lines.

If your trailer is useable as is, you could just replace the running gear and use it a while to see what you want the end result to be and enjoy it a while, just postponing all that inevitable repair.

The good news is the forums will have the answer to every problem you face and is full of good, creative, helpful vintage owners just like you. I posted some of my repairs of this type here: And I borrowed a lot from Top's "Abby gets some separation..." thread. The "Full Monty" threads are invaluable, too.

Ask a lot of questions, post a lot of pictures, and above all, have fun...

TennTex is offline   Reply With Quote