Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2017, 11:15 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Simi Valley , California
Newbies--1970 Caravel questions

Hi all, we are the proud new owners of a 1970 AS Caravel. It will be in need of a lot of cosmetic improvements. I'm sure I'll be asking a lot more questions, but for my first one, I'd like to reach out for help with a couple of things.
1. I need to replace or repair the tail lights. They are pretty beat up. Any sources for replacement, or perhaps upgrading to led?
2. Fridge loses cold after a couple of days when on propane. Any ideas why that might happen?

Really impressed with the wealth of information on here! Thanks in advance for the help!
Bigpiba
Bigpiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
I have opinions about tail lights. One of the first upgrades I made to my 74 Overlander was an LED tail light kit, and it was overpriced garbage. Still upset I spent that much money on that kit.

It looks like you have the same round cans that I have. You can get new lenses at vintage trailer supply, as well as replacement cans if yours are rusted. The VTS cans are aluminum, so they won't rust again.

For the bulbs, you can get a direct LED replacement that fits in the socket. Get the same color bulb as the lense. If you put a white light under a red lense, the color gets washed out and the light looks dim.

I have links to all the exact products I used for our tail lights and detailed suggestions on our blog. It's on the drop down menu on the top right, either in electrical or towing.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:38 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
brooklyn park , Minnesota
frig

get close to frig and check for ammonia smell. if you smell it, it's toast. It is an old frig. many of us have put in an apt. frig. replacement. you can re-fit the front veneer piece if you like. joe q
joqin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:01 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Simi Valley , California
Thanks for the responses, I'll definitely try your suggestions. I haven't even had a chance to light the fridge pilot yet, so will have my nose in there when I do. Great advice on the lights, I wouldn't have thought about bulb color!
Old 04-01-2017, 05:18 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Simi Valley , California
Next question all, surely won't be the last.
Previous owner of my 1970 Caravel ran the gray water tank vent from driver's side across to curb side, up into the interior space under the curb side pull out bench, about 1 foot above floor level, angled to the side, and out to the rear. Said there was no other route. I'm trying to remodel the interior and put a retro style bench with table there ( permanent bed going up front), and need that floor space clear. Any help with re-routing the vent would be immensely appreciated. I will post pictures asap.
Thanks
Old 04-01-2017, 05:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Newbies--1970 Caravel questions

I believe the vents should go up though the closets. There is on on each side. Check the roof for patched exit holes. They where in the front side at the rear. 1 1/2 pipe
Old 04-03-2017, 09:22 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Simi Valley , California
Thanks bigventure! After more examination, It seems that it's the black water tank vent pipe we're talking about. The black water yank is behind the gray, and i can't see it, therefore I'm not sure of what it connects to, or how to re-route it. My question is, do I have to remove the skin underneath to get at it? Or do i need to remove subfloor inside? Not a great picture, but this is what we're talking about.
Thanks Click image for larger version

Name:	9902.jpeg
Views:	155
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	282618
Old 04-04-2017, 04:23 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
You don't have a gray water tank. Only a fresh water tank and a black water tank. If it a grayish tank it your fresh water tank.
The black pipe maybe your fresh water fill inlet.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:50 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1970 18' Caravel
Lexington , Massachusetts
Hi Bigpiba,

I recently almost finished completely renovating my 1970 Caravel, so I have an extensive knowledge of this model airstream. Bigventure is correct, this model does not come stock with a gray water tank. The gray water drains right out the sewer drain, where the blackwater tank drains. It would need to always be open in order to use sink, shower, etc. My fresh water tank, 30 gals, was too dirty to drink out of, so I converted that into my gray water. I have been very happy with that modification because the size of the tank is the same as most large trailers built today.

Regarding the pipe, I don't believe that is a fill pipe because the fresh water fill is over where the sink is. That pipe was I don't think it's the gray water vent because the gray water vent goes out through the wall, in the closet next to the stove. It becomes flat when it enters the wall and connects to the roof vent inside the wall. It's a great vent because it's out of the way and not very visible.

If I were you I would go underneath and remove the aluminum underbelly right where the vent is located. That way you don't damage the subfloor. I would look into why that pipe is there, what it's connected to, and if it is necessary. I'm going to attach some pictures I have from when I did my renovation. They show the bare frame, so you know what it looks like under the subfloor. I've also attached pictures of the vent I mentioned thats in the wall.

One thing you need to look at right away is the rear subfloor near the back utility door. There is a defect with this model in which water gets in where the frame meets the bumper. Fixing this should be your primary goal. It rots the rear frame cross beam and the rear subfloor. I've attached a picture that shows the damage it caused mine. The damage on mine was so bad that We decided to replace the entire subfloor. The worst damage was located under the toilet/shower.

To answer your question, That pipe does not have to be there and in fact, shouldn't be there. The vent pipes are located on the other side of the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	602.8 KB
ID:	288838   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0105.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	493.3 KB
ID:	288839  

Name:	IMG_0109.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	355.3 KB
ID:	288840   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0121.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	499.7 KB
ID:	288841  

Streamy1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:55 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1970 18' Caravel
One more thing, Measure the floor tiles. Airstream used an asbestos adhesive on floor tiles that where 9"x9".
Streamy1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:55 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Simi Valley , California
Wow, thank you Streamy1985! I haven't done such extensive remodeling, and only uncovered the flooring up to the bathroom. I definitely will remove the skin under the shower area now and have a look. I did not know about the known defect.
I believe the previous owner added the grey tank, and thus the extra vent pipe. I think he had an issue with running the vent pipe on the same side, so Mcguyverd it!
We would love to see more of your remodel. I can send you some of ours as we progress.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:01 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1970 18' Caravel
Here are some pictures of the bathroom we just finished. It took so long. We built a custom bathroom out of plywood, fiberglassed it, gel coated it and then did a non slip "EZPoly" boat paint. I joined the black water vent pipe with the gray water vent pipe under the sink. Thats what that is in the picture. The vent pipe goes under the shower floor next to the shower pan. I secured it in place with Spray Foam. If I didn't join it with the other vent pipe I would have had to run it in sight up behind the toilet and out the ceiling, which I did my first attempt at building a bathroom. It's actually a very very difficult project. Definitely one of the most difficult I have done so far.

I will attach more photos of the interior after we take some new ones of how it looks today. I'm not putting up the photos I have because they are not of the most recent condition. Over the winter I replaced any damaged wood, sanded and stained EVERY cabinet and replaced almost every hinge and installed new catches. I installed new gas lifts for the hanging cabinets and repainted the fronts of the hanging cabinets. I also installed brand new speakers in the front.

This spring we rebuilt the bed frame to ensure it was stable and level. We installed a new TV mount. I replaced all the wood walls with brand new wood and stained them. I used really nice and expensive Oak for the wall on the left as you walk in.

It was a lot more work than I had expected and it really pushed my wife and I to our limits, but the results were worth it.

I attached a photo of my Airstream where it sat for years before I found her and a picture of what she looks like this year. We're currently in the middle of stripping the clear coat off so we can polish the skin to a mirror shine. I also have to do the measurements of the axle so I can order the replacement.

I'll post more pictures when I can. Let me know if you have any more questions. I have a lot of experience with this model Airstream.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2CB99109-094A-48FE-B3AA-D6BC8BC8ABFC.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	288891   Click image for larger version

Name:	1EBAF472-A772-4CE6-B8C3-C5640CC5ED05.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	288892  

Name:	E21406EC-C205-4992-8B22-54020CFEEF79.jpg