Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2016, 07:46 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Rivers , Alaska
Newbie- would someone double check me?

Well, after 10 years, I finally have a gutted airstream sitting in my yard. Her name is Anabelle. I am going to completely renovate to live full time and travel in for my job. (Training service dogs.)

I am going all the way down to the studs, so would someone please double check me? I just need to know if this is in the right order.

1. Do layout so you know where all pipes and wires go.
2. Take it down to studs, throw away all insulation, take up floor
3. Confirm tanks are sealed, frame is straight, take dents out of skin
4. Install trailer brakes
5. Put sub floor back in
6. re-wire and plumb
7. Insulate, including replacing window seals
8. Put walls back in
9. The fund stuff (decorating)

Is that the order? What major step am I missing?
Carmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:51 AM   #2
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I'm no expert here, many others are. Your #4 item is install brakes. Not knowing just how old a Airstream you are working with I certainly can't say but look carefully at the axles. Not difficult to replace and can be got with new brake assemblies in many cases. I think you are on the right track so far as I can tell. Good luck with it.

OH, should not need to be said, but I will anyhow. Use PEX for the plumbing.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:31 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Rivers , Alaska
Thank you!
And at this point, EVERYTHING needs saying! This is all new to me!
Old 10-19-2016, 08:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Check out the thread below:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...an-135893.html

My "master plan" is described in post 11.

It would help to know what year and model your trailer is.

As mentioned above, most people will replace the entire axle and just get the new assembly with brakes already installed so that all you have to do is connect the wires. Also, you need to make a decision as to how you will replace the floor, as the shell essentially has to be separated from the frame in order to do it right.

Good luck, and don't under estimate the magnitude of the project ahead of you.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:23 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Rivers , Alaska
Thank you! I found the plate, and apparenly I have a 1972 Land yacht. It was such a good price, I grabbed it and ran without a lot of checking.

Thank you for the link to your list. Yes, the floor absolutely has to be replaced. No option B.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
A few things... so you can sound like an old hand around here, and gain many "style points"

(We call them "ribs", not "studs", unless you're using the OTHER meaning of studs )

Airstream seems to re-use the same model names over and over, for wildly different designs! My '72 Ambassador 29 also has a "Land Yacht" designation on the name plate. I believe that it's a sub-model designation, meaning that it has an upgraded interior package? Can a more knowledgeable person chime in here? Anyway, if you post some pics (which we are all waiting to see!), you will get far more info than you thought possible!

First off, remember that you are guaranteed a place in Paradise, because you have taken an unloved vintage item and shall return to better-than-new splendor! Bravo! You are obviously a superior person, probably far better looking than any of your neighbors!

Back to your plan. A wiser man than myself (Protagonist) has said to make it safe, make it livable, make it unique. You can look up many of the "Full Monty" threads to see how folks have completely re-made their trailers. Maybe you need to go this route, maybe you can compromise because your frame is still basically good, axles still have some life, wiring is OK.

I replaced a large portion of the rear sub-floor by saw-zalling the bolts holding the frame to the floor, prying it up to remove the bad wood, and inserting wonderful new wood, then re-bolting it back down. But then, most of my floor was quite OK.

If you can get it to the point that it's towing well, and water-tight, take it out and enjoy it! You can get second-hand furniture and camping gear, and you're still far better off than folks in tents. You get to wake up an dream about the wonderful things that are going to happen inside your cozy trailer. Start looking at all sorts of designs, from super-yachts to luxury jets to "tiny houses" to all of the great things that people have posted on this site. The original layouts are always dated and tired, and should be upgraded so they are as cool as the exterior is!

Once you build it, you can always take it apart and change it. No points deducted!

A word of warning: those design sessions can be very thirsty affairs, so be sure to lay in plenty of supplies!
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 02:29 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Rivers , Alaska
This is Anabelle.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:32 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Rivers , Alaska
This is Anabelle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	116.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	273798  
Old 10-20-2016, 07:49 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
West Liberty , Kentucky
Judging from the picture, I would definitely replace the axles. She appears to be riding low. As mention previously get axles with brakes,hubs etc.
Air4563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 08:01 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmilla View Post
Well, after 10 years, I finally have a gutted airstream sitting in my yard. Her name is Anabelle. I am going to completely renovate to live full time and travel in for my job. (Training service dogs.)

I am going all the way down to the studs, so would someone please double check me? I just need to know if this is in the right order.

1. Do layout so you know where all pipes and wires go.
2. Take it down to studs, throw away all insulation, take up floor
3. Confirm tanks are sealed, frame is straight, take dents out of skin
4. Install trailer brakes
5. Put sub floor back in
6. re-wire and plumb
7. Insulate, including replacing window seals
8. Put walls back in
9. The fund stuff (decorating)

Is that the order? What major step am I missing?
Carmilla, you can get a service manual from Airstream at Jackson Center OH that shows how to strip an AS down and all the appliances with good directions and it shows sizes of all components. Good luck.
Bev1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 08:18 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Need to drop belly pan and take a look at the floor rot and the frame. My guess a shell off restoration.

toastie
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:13 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Rivers , Alaska
Sadly, shell off restoration was my guess too. Go big or go home, right?
Old 10-21-2016, 07:42 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Pocahontas , Iowa
It looks just like my Overlander 27ft.
dianalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:05 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
Carmilla,

Congratulations on your entry into the addictive world of vintage Airstreams. We certainly have enjoyed the Airstream projects we've done and hope you enjoy yours. There are many great ideas and thoughts here on the forums. My recommendation is to make researching here, as you progress, for neat ideas that work for you, a part of your process. We think that's a big part of the fun.

We've done two trailers and there was a big difference before we found the forums and after. Our most recent project is detailed here, only as an example, http://www.airforums.com/forums/f394...er-155180.html

Good luck and enjoy,

Roy and Marie
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote