Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2015, 07:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
golden valley , Minnesota
Newbie? not really

Hi forum members,

This is my first new thread, although my wife Laurie and I have had our 1972 ambassador 28' trailer for then years now. I want to thank all the posters for sharing their precious information and experience. It has kept us from making mistakes during our recent renovation of the rear bath. We needed to replace about 3' of the subfloor due to rot. Thankfully the frame was only minimally rusted. The black water carrier for the tank was toast and had to be replaced. I decided to remove the heater vent in the bathroom and lower the tub/shower pan to the subfloor. I am 6'3" and needed the extra headroom. We also removed the shower door and I devised a way to mount a rod to the curved wall above the sink so we could use a curtain. The shower trap now has a removable drain plug that projects through the belly pan for winterization. All plumbing is now pex also.

One question I have been wanting to ask for a long time is this: Has anyone considered using spray foam to insulate a trailer during a complete gut remodel? It seems like this would be helpful structurally as well as helping to eliminate the critter issues that come with an older trailer. I would also think that the trailer would be warmer (or cooler) due to increased R-value and lower air infiltration.

I also wanted to mention that I am two years away from retirement and Laurie and I are planning to upgrade to a newer trailer and seriously hit the road. We are liking the excellas with the rear bedroom. I'm hoping that the mid bath will give me a little more room. Does that seem reasonable to expect?

Mike
Old 09-02-2015, 08:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Newbie? not really

There is are a lot of different opinions about spray foam and a few threads as well as remodel blogs. Do a Google search for Airstream Spray Foam.
If ours ever needs to be gutted, the insulation will be spray foam.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Avion used a spray foam in their trailers. The Cayo brothers are still active providing parts and service for Avions. Those who've gotten into the guts say the foam is like new, so that would be my source for the best product to use.

Paula

Oh and WELCOME to the Forums
Old 09-02-2015, 09:42 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Do they "spray", allow to cure then trim the foam level?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:54 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Moscow , Idaho
I was also thinking about using foam for my 1957 Overlander. While researching the topic, I came across this blog entry by Hofmann Architecture, who - arguably - do pretty nice renovation work.

https://hofarc.com/7-advantages-to-s...am-insulation/

That one made me thinking
Mark
Naddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:40 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Do they "spray", allow to cure then trim the foam level?

One spray foam job documented in photos that I saw was spray every other section, carve it down flush (like doing a house), then come back and do the rest.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 04:08 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
I checked out some earlier threads on insulation, lots of information. At work we use spray foam for remodeling houses. One technique that the professionals use is to flash coat with a very thin layer of foam and when that is cured go over it with more layers. I bet this would control the heat and warping of the aluminum. The foam doesn't cure properly if it is applied too heavy. There is a lot of science involved in properly applying the foam.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:29 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
I am gutting a 1972ish Streamline that came from the factory with spray foam. I do think it insulates really well, but I have a downside to relate. I think it makes it very hard to find leaks. I wish, through the course of this remodel, that I could pull out the insulation easily and do some leak tests. It's VERY hard to get the spray-insulation out of the spaces in the frame.
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:18 PM   #9
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Where do you get the spray equip and supplies? Do you expect someone me to do this for you from an "installer"?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:53 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Two part do it yourself foam kits are available at big box stores. You get 600 sqft at 1" thickness for about $400.00. I couldn't find if it is open or closed cell. I remember that the specifications for spraying varies according to the chemicals and delivery system involved. It's very technical. Better left to the pros.