Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-04-2016, 12:00 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Suwanee , GA
Newbie needing a tool kit just in case

Rather than guess, Id rather ask the experts...

What tools do I need to put together for general repairsif something happens on the road
Tony
Sport 16
Tacoma TRD
Seagars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 12:23 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Very basic kit would be a couple of screwdrivers, a pair of pliers, an adjustable wrench, and, of course, a hammer.
And the tool kit can quickly escalate from there.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:37 PM   #3
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I don't want too little, but didn't want to mortgage the house for back up tools....I carry in my trucks a Craftsman behind the seat tool box. I stocked them largely from Harbor Freight. It has sockets, extensions, ratchets, combination wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, wire, electrical and Teflon tape, a multimeter, fuses, Plumbers Goop, a hammer, and other odds and ends.....I basically took a look at both the camper and the tow vehicles and tried to access what I thought I could repair roadside or in a campground.

I carry a bottle jack, 12v compressor,tire plug kit, spare bearings, and grease in the trailer. I carry spare belts and hoses in the truck.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 03:05 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
1954 15' Byam Holiday
Vintage Kin Owner
Linden , Michigan
What?

You forgot the "DUCK TAPE!"
StevieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 03:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We carry basic mechanics hand tools, electrical tools and meter, moisture test meter, compact lithium ion drill/screw gun with 3/4 inch adapter socket for stabilizers, small drill bit set, tape, lubricants, CorrosionX treatment, touch up paint in black, grey, silver and white (for truck), jacking system for tire/wheel change, tape, wire, sealant and gun.

Whatever things that may be needed for maintenance and general repairs on a long road trip. And a credit card and/or warranty papers for any major breakdowns, which we've never had.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:22 PM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagars View Post
Rather than guess, Id rather ask the experts...

What tools do I need to put together for general repairsif something happens on the road
Tony
Sport 16
Tacoma TRD
Hi Tony

There are many threads on this. They don't tend to make especially interesting reading, but you can take a look if you want.

My main advice would be to bring tools for the jobs that you're comfortable performing yourself, with an eye towards compact, lightweight, multi-purpose tools.

I carry fairly extensive tools that are focused on these particular problem areas:
- 12v electrical problems
- Tire repair and replacement. I carry plugs and compressed air or a small compressor, hydraulic jack, breaker bar, sockets
- Hitch maintenance, bring larger sockets as needed to do this
- Recovery. Unless you are on or very close to a paved road towing services aren't much help, I carry chains, strap, comealong, and other goodies
- Tree cutting gear, for dealing with fallen trees that block access, and for making firewood

Then I carry a leatherman-type tool, a screwdriver with interchangeable bits, pliers, and a crescent wrench or two. That's it. The recovery kit is the largest in terms of space and weight.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:33 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
2014 Interstate Coach
Birmingham , Alabama
Gunnrack

boltcutter
jmgunn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:40 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
As Jammer said there have been many threads on this subject over the years. My advice is for on the road breakdowns have a membership in a good emergency road service. For the campground all you really need is the tool box. You open the tool box, sit it on a picnic table and wait. Before you get comfortable a fellow camper will show up asking, "whatcha fixin?" You will tell them and the reply will be,"I have just what you need." And while that person is fetching the recommended tool another camper will show up offering the same service, then another and still another will show up. The open tool box is a magnet and when you feel you have enough help and tools, close the lid of the tool box.
Good luck to you and happy camping.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:54 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Vernon , Arizona
Chaplain Kent,

Perfection! My dad stocked me up and I now have a very nice tool kit (I am sure) I just don't know what it does. I look forward to the kindness of strangers.

MsTara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent View Post
As Jammer said there have been many threads on this subject over the years. My advice is for on the road breakdowns have a membership in a good emergency road service. For the campground all you really need is the tool box. You open the tool box, sit it on a picnic table and wait. Before you get comfortable a fellow camper will show up asking, "whatcha fixin?" You will tell them and the reply will be,"I have just what you need." And while that person is fetching the recommended tool another camper will show up offering the same service, then another and still another will show up. The open tool box is a magnet and when you feel you have enough help and tools, close the lid of the tool box.
Good luck to you and happy camping.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieB View Post
You forgot the "DUCK TAPE!"
IT'S "DUCT TAPE", NOT "DUCK TAPE"!
"DUCK TAPE" is for removing feathers from this evening's meal.

Trailer Trash............."
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:13 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post

Actually either is correct. Google the history of the tape.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
WaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:18 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
Duh, what's missing?

Pliers
Pop rivet tool
Screwdrivers
Pop rivet tool
Socket wrench
Pop rivet tool
... and assorted rivets.

If it moves and shouldn't - Duct tape
If it doesn't move and should - WD-40
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:24 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:

"Duck Tape" is a brand name for duct tape.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:30 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
A quality torque wrench and the knowledge to use it properly to be used regularly checking wheel nuts and weight distribution hitch components torque.
A big hammer or small sledge.
Pipe leak sealing tape.
An assortment of bandaids and disenfectant for the inevitable cuts and scrapes using your new tools.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
For us, basic stuff like pliers, screw drivers, a couple of adjustable wrenches, hose filter screens, fuses, several sizes of batteries for our bring-alongs, Teflon tape, masking tape, duct tape, bottle jack, lug wrench, and a couple of tow straps. Not much storage in our unit, and we don't figure we need "tree cutting gear".....unless you are out in the wilderness boondocking, you can always find a Walmart close by for other needed items.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 05:31 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Here's my viewpoint.

What, if lost or broken, would I need to have a successful trip and be unlikely to borrow or buy easily anywhere?

So, extra plug for the hot water heater, extra set of bolts and cotter pins, and elephant clamps for the Equalizer hitch.

I have an assortment of other things around, but consider the logic of why you will need something with you.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:28 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Vernon , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Here's my viewpoint.

What, if lost or broken, would I need to have a successful trip and be unlikely to borrow or buy easily anywhere?

So, extra plug for the hot water heater, extra set of bolts and cotter pins, and elephant clamps for the Equalizer hitch.

I have an assortment of other things around, but consider the logic of why you will need something with you.
Extra plug for the hot water heater? Why/What?
Old 12-05-2016, 10:29 PM   #18
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Not mentioned is aluminum tape. It easier to remove and is waterproof. Not as strong as duct tape but a lot easier to work. Also, on large areas you can layer it up vertically like siding for a waterproof surface. It is lot easier to clean up afterwards.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:44 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Both are Correct

Quote:

Well, I understand you comment, but there is a brand that is carried in many stores that IS, in fact, DUCK TAPE. (DUCK TAPE is now a brand name!)
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:04 PM   #20
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTara View Post
Extra plug for the hot water heater? Why/What?
I carry a spare in case the one in place leaks. I also carry a spare toilet flange seal....Needed that one on a trip already.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote