Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Foley , Alabama
I'll take a close up tomorrow.
tredding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Foley , Alabama
Photo of tire cover

Here is a picture of the original tire cover
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS tire cover.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	337.8 KB
ID:	177240  
Old 01-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Very nice thank you!

How are things going?
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:47 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Foley , Alabama
Newbie UPDATE - gathering the pieces

I am self employed and have found I have to be pretty discipled with myself; therefore I'm prohibited from doing Airstream stuff until my work is done. I am caught up today, so here's my update.
My general theory is to gather as many of the pieces I can before I bring the contractors in.
First up is to replace the subfloor with pine plywood, and putting in natural cork flooring everywhere except the bathroom. I have cork in my home, I love the feel under your feet, and I think it will help with sound Since the front pull out travel lounge is out anyway to be have the foam replaced, I'm going to instal cork seam to seam in the front of the trailer, and in the bedroom. The original fabric of the front lounge is really starting to grow on me so I think I am going to stay vintage there. The cabinets in the AS are real walnut veneer and overall, are in good shape. One overhead storage in the bedroom got some water damage along the way from the a/c, and there are some patches and sun fading to repair, here and there. I have started in with the Liquid Gold on all the wood. I am going to have the contractor remove one side of the cabinet above the fridge, put in a sturdy wood wall and put a mount for a flat screen there. The other side of the cabinet will be used for directv, dvr, stereo. Keeping most of the galley, as is; but planning to add a tin copper burnt umber backsplash. I only have one of the two original slide doors, and I am going to move the one I have to the bathroom.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AS  TR Plans interior.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	261.7 KB
ID:	178579   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS travel lounge before.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	297.6 KB
ID:	178580  

Name:	AS travel lounge original.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	342.4 KB
ID:	178581   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS Walnut Galley Cabinets.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	302.3 KB
ID:	178582  

Name:	AS Walnut Galley sun faded.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	278.6 KB
ID:	178583   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS Galley Before.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	251.4 KB
ID:	178584  

Old 02-09-2013, 01:44 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Foley , Alabama
Newbie Update Bathroom Plans

I am starting with a completed gutted bathroom. Nothing original at all. Blank. I'm going to start with replacing the sub floor, and using a single sheet of vinyl laminate in a river rock pattern. I am also going to rebuild the wardrobes on each side of the bathroom with some cedar lumber I have left over. The closet on one side will have a box built into the bottom for the load center and power converter (protected from all water!). Shelves in that closet, bar and shoe holders in the other.
I found a 32' rounded shower tub for the corner, and a half oval brass shower curtain rod with an overhead support (oil rubbed bronze). Im going with Dura Faucet 5 Function Massage head, 60" Stainless steel hose (also oil rubbed bronze) set up (for water on a hose functionality).
1963 trailers came with a porta potty, so no black tank. I don't have the grey tank either. I'm not thrilled at all about pumping poop. My solution: I found a great deal on a brand new incinolet, burn that stuff gone, toilet! No black tank for me!! It draws 15 Watts, so I must plan accordingly. I'm going to run one access to the grey tank, under the floor, running width of the trailer, but within the trailer frame. I'm thinking 25 Gallon tank? Still learning this part.
Between the incinerating toilet, running along the back wall, a custom cabinet with storage for toiletries and linens. Cool counter top with a vessel sink. I think I am going with this hand painted cooper sink from Mexico.
Since I am using Benjamin Moore Alkyd Low Lustre paint for metal, I'm considering using tin on the bathroom walls, and paint them using the same metal paint (maybe in a different tone) to show off the curves of the trailer. I could also use tin molding to have any plumbing or electric, venting infrastructure I might need to hide).
Those are my plans for the bathroom at this point.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:52 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Foley , Alabama
Bathroom photos, I hope

Here are the photos I tried to post earlier.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AS bathroom gutted.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	314.4 KB
ID:	178594   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS bathroom river rock.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	272.8 KB
ID:	178595  

Name:	AS round shower pan.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	178596   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS bathroom Half-OvalRing rod.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	178597  

Name:	AS hand painted cooper sink.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	178599   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS incinolet-toilet-new-medford_inhw5.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	178600  

Old 02-09-2013, 01:55 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Foley , Alabama
Bathroom tin tile options

Thinking about using these in the bathroom. Can't decide whether or not to order them with a powder coat in a color, or paint them with the metal paint I will be using throughout.
Considering the cooper one for the kitchen back splash.
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2013, 02:51 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Foley , Alabama
Newbie Electrical, Plumbing, and Propane Plans Too

I've been busy gathering the materials for the electrician. I'm going to have him start by running a 30 Amp supply from the main box at the house and installing basically an RV plug in station with a 30 AMP, 15 AMP outlet (in case I decide to use it for the Christmas light display), water supply, and TV cable. I have been to hardware stores 3 times so far, without luck, to get the load center. I know I need at least one 30/20 fuse, (2) 20/15's and at least two blank spots for growth. I also still need to get a grounding plate.
I picked up 55 Amp converter, but now I think I'm going to go ahead and upgrade it to the 75 Amp version. Both the A/C (Coleman Polar Cub 9200 BTU, with the heat stripe option) and toilet can draw 15 AMP; plus 3 AMPS for each of the Fan-Tastic Vents with thermostats, and rain sensors; Shurflo Revolution Water Pump draws 7.5 Amps (got the in line water filter too), plus I haven't figured for the TV equipment yet...so up to the 75 AMP converter I go...
The 27 Deep Cell Battery came in; I went with the 575/730/160 version, most juice I could get. Have the new cables for that.
I have the water pump, I want to depressurize the current water tank, but still use it. I need to replace all the water lines, and am waiting to see about the water heater. Still working out how to vent the galley sinks, the vanity sink, and shower to the grey tank. I do have this existing hole in the bathroom ceiling?
I found a local place to take my propane tanks to be re-certified, and new regulators; but I still haven't found the propane guy to work on repiping and getting the propane appliances and water heater back on line. I haven't decided what to do with the original propane heating unit next to the stove. The veneer on that panel is pretty whacked. I have the heat stripe in the A/C unit, and plenty of fan power. It would be nice to stay vintage; but I think it really decreases the functionality of that space I might want to use for a table function? I am going to keep the propane light overhead there.
I will be saving any parts I don't use in case the next owner wants to take it back to classic vintage (or I decide to sell off the parts to others looking to rehab other airstreams).
So far, that's the plan!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AS  TR Plans systems.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	284.2 KB
ID:	178604   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS bathroom ceiling hole.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	266.3 KB
ID:	178605  

Old 02-09-2013, 03:00 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Foley , Alabama
full length mirror on at least one of the wardrobe doors in the bathroom too.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:31 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Foley , Alabama
top tin photo is the pattern I am using in the trailer, the other two are just color samples. Open for any feedback out there.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:05 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I think you need to do some more research before you buy a larger converter.
The A/C does not run off of the converter. The 15 amps it requires is from the 120 volt AC power. (Shore Power)
Not sure what kind of toilet you are planning on. I feel more research is needed there as well. If there is power that requires high wattage. I would think it would be AC power, not 12 volt DC. The 55 amp converter should be more than ample for your needs.
As for the Shore Power, you should install the receptacle that is specifically designed for RV use. In reading thru your comments regarding the outlets and other items on the panel list. I would suggest you acquire qualified help. In most cases you will need a single 120 volt, 30 amp receptacle the is specifically designed for RV or TRAVEL TRAILER use. They are available at Home Depot and other BB stores. It is important that you understand how to wire the receptacle as well as the panel inside the trailer. The proper grounding technics must be followed to the letter. YOUR LIFE AND THAT OF OTHERS WILL DEPEND ON IT!!
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:27 AM   #32
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tredding View Post
1963 trailers came with a porta potty, so no black tank. I don't have the grey tank either. I'm not thrilled at all about pumping poop. My solution: I found a great deal on a brand new incinolet, burn that stuff gone, toilet! No black tank for me!! It draws 15 Watts, so I must plan accordingly. .
Someone must have updated your bathroom because there would have been a black tank (above the floor)

I have the same fabric on the gaucho, wild huh?

I agree with you about the black tank and am putting in a composting toilet.

Like the embossed metal, the powder coat will be more durable than painting it yourself.

Glad to see another '63!
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:48 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Does the toilet require 15 watts of 12 volt power or 15 watts of 120 volt power?
Also when considering converter size. Not all 12 volt devices will be running continuously. Especially since it appears you have 1 battery.
There is a website. Called "The 12 Volt Side of Life" or something like that, which is a good resource. It may be helpful.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:26 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Foley , Alabama
Thank you for the input! I am going to use a bonded electrician for sure! My brain scrambles to watts vs amp thing all the time. I really don't fully understand where the a/c draws the juice. I thought if you are plugged into shore power, juice flows into the converter, which sends the appropriate juice to the fuse box for the 120 systems and sends 12V to the battery to keep it fully charged? If not plugged in, I thought the battery would send juice back to the converter to flow 120 power back to the fuse box to run the electric appliances? Am I off base? Teach me, I can learn! Thanks.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Foley , Alabama
In the DYI season of redoing an airstream, I remember a grinding plate installed with the fuse box and converter. I have not tracked one down yet, but it's on the list.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Thank you for the input! I am going to use a bonded electrician for sure! My brain scrambles to watts vs amp thing all the time. I really don't fully understand where the a/c draws the juice. I thought if you are plugged into shore power, juice flows into the converter, which sends the appropriate juice to the fuse box for the 120 systems and sends 12V to the battery to keep it fully charged? If not plugged in, I thought the battery would send juice back to the converter to flow 120 power back to the fuse box to run the electric appliances? Am I off base? Teach me, I can learn! Thanks.
Normally this is not how it works, a converter only changes 120V AC to 12V DC, an inverter Changes 12V DC to 120V AC.

Normally 120V comes into the trailer goes to the circuit breaker box then to all AC appliances, including the converter which supplies 12V to the battery and 12V lights/appliances.

You can get an inverter/converter (combined unit) which will have 120V go to the inverter/converter then to the circuit breaker box and the 12V and automatically switch from supplying 12V and letting 120V pass through to supplying 120V by inverting from the battery. This would be better with the air conditioner not powered through the inverter/converter since that would quickly drain the battery, also some type of alarm to tell you when you don't have shore power.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:23 PM   #37

1961 24' Tradewind
Santa Fe , New Mexico
incinolet

Thank you all for the posts.

TREDDING, I'm now the newbie, could use some help. Did you go with the incinerating toilet? If yes, what has your experience been?

Thanks again.

Quote:
I am starting with a completed gutted bathroom. Nothing original at all. Blank. I'm going to start with replacing the sub floor, and using a single sheet of vinyl laminate in a river rock pattern. I am also going to rebuild the wardrobes on each side of the bathroom with some cedar lumber I have left over. The closet on one side will have a box built into the bottom for the load center and power converter (protected from all water!). Shelves in that closet, bar and shoe holders in the other.
I found a 32' rounded shower tub for the corner, and a half oval brass shower curtain rod with an overhead support (oil rubbed bronze). Im going with Dura Faucet 5 Function Massage head, 60" Stainless steel hose (also oil rubbed bronze) set up (for water on a hose functionality).
1963 trailers came with a porta potty, so no black tank. I don't have the grey tank either. I'm not thrilled at all about pumping poop. My solution: I found a great deal on a brand new incinolet, burn that stuff gone, toilet! No black tank for me!! It draws 15 Watts, so I must plan accordingly. I'm going to run one access to the grey tank, under the floor, running width of the trailer, but within the trailer frame. I'm thinking 25 Gallon tank? Still learning this part.
Between the incinerating toilet, running along the back wall, a custom cabinet with storage for toiletries and linens. Cool counter top with a vessel sink. I think I am going with this hand painted cooper sink from Mexico.
Since I am using Benjamin Moore Alkyd Low Lustre paint for metal, I'm considering using tin on the bathroom walls, and paint them using the same metal paint (maybe in a different tone) to show off the curves of the trailer. I could also use tin molding to have any plumbing or electric, venting infrastructure I might need to hide).
Those are my plans for the bathroom at this point.
Hoos_MJC is offline   Reply With Quote