Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #1
Mallory

1972 31' Sovereign
Fayetteville , Arkansas
Newbie Help & Decor Questions

Hi, everyone! First post on the forums.

I am in the process of renovating a '72 31' Sovereign into a mobile photography studio/office. The plan is to create a small studio space at the back end, a sitting area at the front end, the door side finished in desk/cabinets, and the opposite wheel well as a seat/bench. No overhead cabinetry; leaving the design very open and spacious. I have a few images posted in my registry.

First question is specific: I'd love to create something unique with the ceiling. I had originally considered a custom vinyl mural to match the old-world map design in my studio branding, but I'm assuming this will be almost impossible to properly install. My second option is to recreate the look of ceiling tiles with a paintable textured wallpaper, similar to this: Amazon.com: Imperial VP131600 Architectural Tin Ceiling Paintable Wallpaper: Home Improvement
Where the ceiling "ends" and the wall begins I would line with a decorative moulding along the seam. Is this a feasible option or am I simply an unexperienced dreamer? Would it even look good??

Secondly: Any general tips or advice for a newbie renovating for this purpose? The AS is structurally in great shape. We've just laid the subfloor and are prepping the walls for paint. Everything is going great so far, hopefully not due to my naivety!

Best,
Mallory
MGB_photo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Mallory, welcome to the forum! Your web site reveals a very special eye for spacial arrangement, color & contrast, and lighting as well as capturing expressive faces. I can't add to your vision of how your "office" decoration should appear. It may be why it took this long for anybody to reply.

I'm not sure why your thought of using pre-printed vinyl panels to cover the ceiling would not work. Sure, the application might be tricky, but it is doable with care and an extra set of hands. A lot of pre planning and templates should allow you to craft the right size image(s) and working with a specialty printer the panels produced. Airstream used foam backed vinyl for years - it just doesn't last as long as painted metal.

Good luck!
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:59 PM   #3
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
If you want to see another's effort with challenging ceiling work, look no further than here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1154197...ndackAirstream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bredlo/4859763287/
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Newbie Help & Decor Questions

Greetings Mallory!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstreams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGB_photo View Post
First question is specific: I'd love to create something unique with the ceiling. I had originally considered a custom vinyl mural to match the old-world map design in my studio branding, but I'm assuming this will be almost impossible to properly install. My second option is to recreate the look of ceiling tiles with a paintable textured wallpaper, similar to this: Amazon.com: Imperial VP131600 Architectural Tin Ceiling Paintable Wallpaper: Home Improvement
Where the ceiling "ends" and the wall begins I would line with a decorative moulding along the seam. Is this a feasible option or am I simply an unexperienced dreamer? Would it even look good??
There may be possibilities with your original idea if the vinyl sheet is heavy enough. In the 1960s, Airstreams with the International package came equipped with an upholstered ceiling. While I have never measured mine, I believe that it is attached to the ceiling with pop rivets on 6" centers. A photo of the upholstered ceiling is below:

If the vinyl mural could be quilted to a light, flexible stiff backing, it could be attached to the ceiling with pop rivets where the square or rectangular quilt seams intersect.

Good luck with your project!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Like this?
http://www.aluminarium.com/wp-conten...elle-scott.jpg

If it were me, I'd get some real tin ceiling and make it work. All of it might not be perfect, but it will have a better feel if you ask me.
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Chances are good that if it can be done, it has . . . or will be. There are some highly impressive interiors around here. Some time searching may also reveal an alternative just as appealing (if not more) yet easier to "do".

Kevin, thanks for the shot of the upholstered ceiling in an A/S. Never seen it, never knew it existed. A custom airplane interior is what it looks like . . quite cool!

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:52 AM   #7
Mallory

1972 31' Sovereign
Fayetteville , Arkansas
Thank you so much! I appreciate your kinds words.

That is encouraging--if we do the vinyl mural we'll break it into 3 main panels, one on each side and then the middle strip. With either ceiling option we're only continuing it from the front to about 18.5' back; the last 8' will be all white studio.

I had seen those two AS before--WOW. Definitely not looking to do anything that complex, but hopefully it will look half as nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
Mallory, welcome to the forum! Your web site reveals a very special eye for spacial arrangement, color & contrast, and lighting as well as capturing expressive faces. I can't add to your vision of how your "office" decoration should appear. It may be why it took this long for anybody to reply.

I'm not sure why your thought of using pre-printed vinyl panels to cover the ceiling would not work. Sure, the application might be tricky, but it is doable with care and an extra set of hands. A lot of pre planning and templates should allow you to craft the right size image(s) and working with a specialty printer the panels produced. Airstream used foam backed vinyl for years - it just doesn't last as long as painted metal.

Good luck!
Old 05-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #8
Mallory

1972 31' Sovereign
Fayetteville , Arkansas
Kevin, thanks so much for that image--beautiful. I'd never seen one, either. I hadn't even thought of mounting the vinyl--that is an excellent idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
Greetings Mallory!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstreams!

There may be possibilities with your original idea if the vinyl sheet is heavy enough. In the 1960s, Airstreams with the International package came equipped with an upholstered ceiling. While I have never measured mine, I believe that it is attached to the ceiling with pop rivets on 6" centers. A photo of the upholstered ceiling is below:

If the vinyl mural could be quilted to a light, flexible stiff backing, it could be attached to the ceiling with pop rivets where the square or rectangular quilt seams intersect.

Good luck with your project!

Kevin

Eric, yes--similar to that but with a larger pattern so it is less "busy" and more closely resembles tiles. Thinking of going back over the raised portion with an antiquing glaze of a different color to add a bit more texture visually but without the extra height.

The person who originally gutted and began renovating my trailer (for some reason) used 3/4" plywood topped with 1/2" plywood, so we had to just continue that pattern to avoid extra expenses and redoing the whole thing. We're applying hardwood on top of that subflooring--all this to say, we're already missing an inch or two in height so I would hate to attempt actual tiles and end up lowering the ceiling even more! If I could find a very thin tile, however, I would definitely be interested in trying it.

Thank you guys for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
Like this?

If it were me, I'd get some real tin ceiling and make it work. All of it might not be perfect, but it will have a better feel if you ask me.