Old 12-10-2007, 09:52 AM   #15

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
A quick check indicates the rear bumper will drag at about 15 degrees so to get 20-25 degress of leveling, the tires will need to be on a slightly over 12" high platform. I have no practical idea on how to accomplish that feat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bambi.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	50625  

Hi Ho Silver RV! Vernon, Sarah, Mac the Border Collie -
A honkin' long 34' named AlumaTherapy
and a 26' '63 Overlander, Dolly
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:42 PM   #16

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Sell the trailer if that's the best you can do. Sorry. But a 25 degree slope is not an option.

pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:48 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Originally Posted by Leipper
Anything more than 5 or 6 degrees (10% grade) is going to make things very difficult.
I guess I assumed wrongly 5 degrees = 5%. How is the "% grade" figured?
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:52 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
If you try it watch out you don't get the stabilizer jacks or anything else on the belly hung up and rip them off.
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 06:23 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
2006 19' Safari SE
Central Part , Maryland
I don't remember a whole lot of the Physics classes I had years ago in college, but since a 25 degree slope is about the same as the pitch on the roof of my house, it seems to me that there is going to be about a 1,000 lb forward force from the 3000 lb trailer just due to gravity. I think it will roll right up and over about any type of wheel chock you would put under it.

Also, even my trailer drags the rear bumper a little getting in/out of my relatively normal driveway so I don't think you can back into a driveway like that. The rear bumper will hit, and even if you have the horsepower to continue pushing you will just lift the trailer wheels off the ground or wreck your hitch.

I know you mentioned money is tight, but you already put out a pretty decent chunk of money for a 2005 model so you need to find a proper place for it and I really do not think your driveway is it. I also cannot store my trailer at home (due to Homeowners Association --the neighborhood nazis) and for a while I had it at a "Public Storage Lot" which I didn't like because it was too public. I now have it at a year-around campground 60 miles away.

So while it would really be nice to have your trailer at home, my suggestion is to be open to various options and be willing to look a medium distance outside your neighborhood if you have to.

regards, Dave
Dave&Shari Wagner
2006 Bambi SE,
2008 Ford F350 Diesel 4x4
" I am lost and have gone Airstreaming to find myself, If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait..."
wagnerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 06:35 PM   #20
. , .
Originally Posted by Lumatic
... How is the "% grade" figured?
where is the resident math guy (nick) when ya need him!

keep this figure in mind...

a 45 degree incline is a 100% of grade...

i think.

it's really high school trig.

% of grade is a tangent related to rise over run...

there are tables for these tangents and calculators have formulae that can do the duty...

here are some incremental examples of the the 3 concepts.

-1 foot of rise over 100 feet of distance is a ~1% grade or .6 degree angle...
-1 foot of rise over 10 feet of distance is a ~10% grade or a 6 degree angle...
-1 foot of rise over 4 feet of distance is a ~25% grade or a 14 degree angle...

-1 foot of rise over 2 feet of distance is a ~51% grade or a 27 degree angle...

which is one really STEEP driveway!

the problem folks get into is saying 'percent grade'

when they should be saying 'percent OF grade' which makes it all clearer...sort of

anyway rise over run times 100 is the 'percent of grade' or rise/run X 100 = % grade.

road inclines/declines are usually? described in % (of) grade not degrees of angle.

so the op with a "20-28 degree slope" has a 36-53 % grade driveway...YIKES!

this is crazy steep (if true), and would take a significant amount of power/force to get up...

then forget about 'leveling the trailer' they're gonna need an anchor and chain, frame mounted and...

rated to something like 8-10,000 lbs + to keep the trailer from rolling down hill...

and a LOT of traction and power to get it UP there...

or they could build a scaffold under the trailer once it's up there and launch it like a boat, see the picture above.

all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:50 PM   #21
Streamline Imperial
Currently Looking...
Bellflower , California
Exclamation Don't

This sounds very dangerous! Even just driving or stopping on so steep a slope with a trailer is challenging. Even just parking is risky, and uncoupling downright suicidal.

The trailer will likely bound over wheel chocks. I've had even triangular wheel chocks turn upside down with far less provocation, not to mention jackstands tipping and jacks tipping or failing by bending! Your hands might get mangled by the coupler, the trailer might gore you against your tailgate, and there is the whole trailer and possibly tow vehicle rolling down the driveway into school buses scenario to consider too.

The hills of Oakland are nice, but they aren't for trailers. Sorry.
It seems I love the mountains and deserts more than my friends do. I sure miss them!

1971 Streamline Imperial project "Silver Snausage", 1985 Coleman tent trailer, 1964 Little Dipper, 1975 Northwest "Proto Toyhauler", 2004 Harbor Freight folding, still seeking my Airstream.
SilvrSausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:07 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
How about hitching to a dead man post and winch it up? or a tower crane?
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:29 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Do you have any neighbors who (a) have a possible place to park your Bambi safely and who (b) like you enough to do that for you (maybe offer to pay them a small fee if necessary)? There might be insurance issues, but it's a thought. You don't want yout trailer to get away from you on its own nor do you want to risk injuring yourself or someone else with it...

TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:32 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Keeping your lovely Bambi in a rental garage (can you go into Lafayette, Orinda, or Moraga?) seems a lot less threatening than parking it on that treacherous driveway.
What do you think of all these alarmed responses?

janetb is offline   Reply With Quote