Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
New Trailer with Floor Banging Noise

Hi, not sure if this is correct category...

When I walk in the center of my 2011 19', the metal sheet under the trailer (is it called the pan?) pops in and out making a loud and annoying banging noise. When i get under the trailer and my wife walks over the area you can see it flex down a little, then pop, like popping a cookie sheet in and out. I just got it back from 3 weeks of service and since it's a 3 hour drive away I was wondering if this is common and easily fixed at home before taking back to service. I didn't see any other thread ever mentioning this noise so maybe it isn't common.
AlumFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Floor noise

Our '93 34 makes the same noises, occasionaly. Think it might be related to outside air temps, how it is parked, & certain "sweet spots" in the floor. Don't think it is a concern, just a bit annoying, sometimes a bit embarrassing, with company inside. It's just one of those quirky little Airstream things that comes with the trailer. After a while you will hardly notice it. In the mean time, Safe and Happy Travels. John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:38 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
This is a "feature" of the riveted aluminum belly pan. Without going into graphic detail, depending on when your trailer was assembled, what the temperature of the factory and belly pan were, and what was being done inside the trailer when the pan was being installed, all are factors of whether yours will have that noise. Aside from the annoyance factor, it won't hurt anything.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:28 AM   #4

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
My 06 Bambi does the same thing (between the sink to the dinette) but it's a small popping noise and not to loud. I first thought I had a "soft spot" on the floor but thank goodness there's not! I've learned to live with it.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:44 AM   #5
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Noise

The trailers that talk to you are worth more!
Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:52 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I would look for popped rivets in the belly pan. Finding none I think the next possibility would be to run an X shaped crease in the belly pan in the offending area, from corner to corner using a roller like a screen roller. I am sure the metal workers here can come up with better ides or maybe better technique.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:00 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
The trailers that talk to you are worth more!
Dave
I think my trailer is tell me "hey tubby, stop walking around so much".

@blmitch5 - You and I have the same trailer and that's exactly where my noise is happening. It doesn't make the noise when my wife walks on it so i'll see if that gets me out of washing dishes since the noise is bugging her more than me Glad to know that it's nothing serious tho.

@Royce - Something like that makes sense. At rest, it's in a "popped up" position so i need to get it in a popped down position. I think this will be beyond anything I solve on my own. There's a dealership opening by me soon so knowing i'm not causing any damage is good, so i can wait and see what they can do.

I'd be curious if anyone out there has ever had this issue fixed.
AlumFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
I'm picturing this in my mind so bear with me... If you could locate the center of where the popping is occuring and then push on it to figure out the location of the nearest frame rail, you may be able to put space between the aluminum sheet and frame just enough to permanently keep it popped out.

One idea that comes in my mind is drilling 2 1/4" holes next to each other, one right where the frame rail is but only drill through the aluminum sheet. Put a pop rivet into the hole (not over the rail) and squeeze just enough to tighten the rivet, not cut the stem off. Using pliers, pull down on the stem to pop the aluminum sheet out and spray a really small amount of expanding foam, just enough to hold the aluminum away from the frame rail. Then put a rivet in the other hole. Something along those lines...

Maybe too much trouble but if the noise is really annoying?!?
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote