Old 04-12-2009, 01:04 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Sandpoint , Idaho
New Trailer Issues

So far we've had our new 2008 25' Classic FB on three outings and had issues on every one. On the first trip it was leaky water lines (the compression rings on several fittings weren't compressed). The second trip the Acti-brake unit started acting up (dealer ended up replacing the entire unit). The last trip the shower started leaking and the electric tongue jack was intermittent. The dealer's been great, but all these bugs are getting to be a bit annoying. I guess I was expecting more from an Airstream.

Terry

Old 04-12-2009, 01:52 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
Hang in there - so far the problems don't seem terrible (except maybe the shower leak - what is that about?) You may still find a good trouble free experience once you get through these initial issues. I've been 'RV-ing' with many kinds of trailers and motorhomes thru the years - and they ALL seem to have a certain amount of 'tinkering' to keep things together.

But I know what you mean - Airstream is supposed to be better than that.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Sounds like the dealer should have found these problems on the predelivery check. I think mine would have. jim
Old 04-12-2009, 06:07 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Hello from Ohio and welcome to the forum - you have had some unusual, but not normal problems - hang in there.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:30 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

The problems that you describe are not the usual post delivery problems, but not catastrophic.

We have a 2005 Safari 25 FB that we bought new. We also had a number of minor problems in our first year of ownership. These were all corrected by the dealer and the Airstream Factory in Jackson Center.

We have now towed Lucy over 40,000 miles, and have spent almost 400 nights in her. Lucy has performed much better than any other travel trailer would have with this much use.

Once you get the initial problems resolved, you should have a long and satisfying relationship with you Airstream.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:35 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
Upton , Massachusetts
the electric tongue jack was intermittent.
check the wing nuts on batterys
Mike
Old 04-12-2009, 10:32 AM   #7
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryg View Post
The dealer's been great, but all these bugs are getting to be a bit annoying. I guess I was expecting more from an Airstream.

Terry
A good dealer makes this an easier time to get thru, JC thinks QC is a dealer responsibility.

We also went thru the "minor" bug problems. Not so minor really and more than I care to list here. It does get better though, once repaired right, they tend to stay right.

But remember there is a 'ta do list that comes from the factory with every new Airstream, no extra charge!

Chin-up, Stream on..

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:03 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
I bought a used 2004 30 foot Classic and am disappointed in some of the quality of workmanship. I thought I was buying the best. This is our fifth trailer in 30 years. The other 4 all were Sunline and we were happy with them. I am hoping that I can keep my Airstream for a long time.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:55 PM   #9
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Locust Grove , Virginia
Below are some of the issues we've had with our 2008 27FBSE
  • There is an aluminum panel for the center of the ceiling that runs from above the dinette through to the entrance to the bedroom whose edge looks like it was cut by a drunk with a pair of tin snips.
  • The screws holding a number of hinges to the pantry structure were screwed in either too fast or too tight so that the hinges are loose and the screws won't 'grab' any more.
  • The rubber retaining strip that fits in the channel to hold the screen in has already popped out.
  • Faulty electrical connector in the Hot Water Heater which caused us to have to make a special trip to the dealer to get fixed.
  • Repeated problems with the tongue jack blowing fuses (Now fixed at our expense with having the dealer install an automatic reset circuit breaker)
  • The Awning
    • The awning isn't aligned correctly so that when it's 'stowed', the hold down clip doesn't match up with the anchor without getting on a step stool and moving the awning into the correct position.
    • The hold down (big screw knob on a threaded piece doesn't fit into the awning without manual intervention
    • The extension bar on the front of the trailer appears to be torqued so it doesn't slide easily or setup correctly.
  • Television
    • The catch release on the TV swivel is in such a position that you almost have to be a contortionist to make it work.
    • When the TV is swiveled so it can be viewed in the bedroom, the infrared sensor on the TV is blocked by the refrigerator door causing the remote not to work.
  • The Heat Pump wouldn't come on. (Tried it just to make sure it worked)
  • We have the Midnight Sun interior and the fabric has already snagged and I swear I haven't sat on it with a screwdriver in my back pocket.
  • JC failed to completely undercoat the areas in one of the wheel wells and it is already showing signs of rust.
  • The latch on the propane tank cover is already rusting.
  • The hand held spritzer in the galley area leaks.
  • The entry door is very difficult to close completely. It's almost as if the entire chassis has been torqued some how.
  • The black coating on the inside of the rear bumper is already starting to flake off.
  • The latch for the drawer that holds the microwave doesn't latch.
Our dealer has been excellent at taking care of the problems that are 'fixable'. The first item can't be corrected without complete removal of the interior of the trailer and we aren't going down that road.
2010 TREK 2.3

Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:50 PM   #10
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
This is all great info folks, but let me remind folks here that there are central threads that are a repository for this kind of data that are far easier to skim over per model year than if these single threads scatter about.

You are of course free to do as you wish, but in all honesty, if you post these kinds of things to the specific model year threads, it really would be a great addition of data as it continues the conversation per model year and allows users to more easily review and track what went on per model year and what things seem to traverse model years.

Here is the link to the 2009 model year. At the beginning are links to nearly every model year since 2004. I would strongly encourage you to place your info on your specific model year in these threads.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ity-41668.html
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:56 PM   #11
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Red face Welcome Aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf146 View Post
I bought a used 2004 30 foot Classic and am disappointed in some of the quality of workmanship. I thought I was buying the best. This is our fifth trailer in 30 years. The other 4 all were Sunline and we were happy with them. I am hoping that I can keep my Airstream for a long time.
Wolf,
The Airstream will last, we used our "63" 18 happy seasons.

But...QC on the new ones has been a concern for awhile now.

As you can see misery loves company.
After four seasons with our Classic most of our issues have been addressed.

'Cept maybe the new leak under the bathroom sink. Seems a cross-threaded connection on a fitting finally popped.
Anyone know what this thing does?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water leak 002.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	78446   Click image for larger version

Name:	Water leak 003.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	78447  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

RLC
Old 04-14-2009, 09:49 PM   #12
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Practically all those problems should have been caught at the factory by the quality control inspectors. It is standard procedure to pressure test plumbing with compressed air before connecting the water, for example.

I cannot believe they turn out such an expensive product and do not bother to build it right or to inspect it. The customer seems to be the quality control inspector. Perhaps if more customers inspected the trailers before taking delivery, and refused them, the dealers would scream at the factory and the factory would smarten up.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Portland , Oregon
The shower in our 2008 Safari Sport leaked water out onto the floor from underneath. The floor flexed when stepped on because it was not well supported. This opened the seams in the floor pan. I took out the heater to access the side of the shower and drove several pieces of 1/4 inch plywood underneath the floor. The dealer wasn't good at caulking so we redid it very carefully ourselves. It's leak free now .
Old 05-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #14
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Red face

I had a leek too...

Does it count if it was close to the shower....under the bathroom sink.

Fitting cross threaded at build, sprung second time out...at night.

Lesson learned...turn the pump off at night, and when you don't need water, do not "improve" it so much that you can't hear it run.

I did have a problem with the shower, the blend valve cold water supply line too short...flooded pretty good.
Know what?...toilet supply line werks good in an emergency.

Bob

RLC

RLC