Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #1

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Santa Fe , NM
New tongue jack?

I need to replace the tongue jack on my 2005 Intl CCD. Currently have the Barker HighPower 3000. Is Barker the best, or should I go with another manufacturer? Is it possible to do the changeout myself, or should I take it to my dealer?
PriscillaQoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Do it yourself. The Barker is as good as any. Ebay is your friend, I bought one of the refub jacks on ebay for my Safari worked great, better than the the Barker on my current trailer which has been replaced once under warranty.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Best or not, I can't say, but it's the only American made lift, that's got to be worth something...
BTW that's what I have on both mine.
Barry
goshawks00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaQoD View Post
I need to replace the tongue jack on my 2005 Intl CCD. Currently have the Barker HighPower 3000. Is Barker the best, or should I go with another manufacturer? Is it possible to do the changeout myself, or should I take it to my dealer?
Is it not working or damaged?
If not working...have you called their CS dept...it's pretty darn good and as noted USA made!

Bob
Old 04-23-2013, 06:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Is it not working or damaged?
If not working...have you called their CS dept...it's pretty darn good and as noted USA made!

Bob
Bob the customer service department is one guy, forgot his name but have it on my desk at work, I went around with him about my jack for a week. He would not believe It had a bad motor or one of the micro switches was bad. I even took a video of the way it was acting and he didn't even want to see it. Rather obtuse in my opinion. They finally sent a new jack without a return shipping label and an invoice that said I owed $238.00 if I did not return the old jack. I boxed the old Jack and shipped it back at a cost of $38.00 via UPS. I called about getting my shipping back and he asked why it cost so much to ship back, I told I dropped the box on the UPS counter pointed to their return address and told them to ship it back. He said we will see what is wrong with the jack and then decide. This was 3 weeks ago. Then jack only worked correctly once , when I hitched to the new trailer at the dealership. I used a bottle jack to unhitch at the campground. In the long run it did save me a trip to the dealer and I would of spent a lot more than $38.00 on gas. The same design is used by several manufactures or maybe just rebadged, nothing special about the jack. I looked at multiple drawing troubleshootIng. The trailer is a 2012 purchased on 1-26-13 and put into service a month later.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 04-23-2013, 07:17 AM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs down That sux..

Jim,

Sorry to hear that.

I've used their CS on two separate occasions with VG results.

A change in personal?
Old 04-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #7
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Jim,

Sorry to hear that.

I've used their CS on two separate occasions with VG results.

A change in personal?
Same here. Sent me a replacement micro switch w/instruction sheet free.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique Pedaler View Post
Same here. Sent me a replacement micro switch w/instruction sheet free.
I don't know, maybe it was my communication skills. He tried to help but we sure took a lot of Detours getting to the final result. He sent a new toggle switch. What was funny about the unit if you manually activated the limit switch it would blow the fuse. The motor would work then stop working like the old automobile starters that would get to a bad spot and you would have to hit or jog to get them working again. I requested a new micro switch but he did not want to send it. I spent 4 or 5 hours working on the jack, I even loosened the mount and cleaned the area to make sure I had a good ground, which Airstream did not do very well. In the end I was given a new jack and if I don't want to go after the shipping cost that is on me. I would buy a Barker jack if the price is right but there are others that are a good bargain if you look.

Let me add I got the feeling that he did not want to use the internet or email to communicate which in today's market is a must. Just seeing the video I made would of given him a lot of insight as to the issue.

By contrast I also had an issue with the Atwood water heater, heater would heat water but would not recycle. I called Atwood the CS guy said it is the stat and asked my address, had a new one in 3 days with instructions.

I know from the date code on the batteries which is 5-11 this trailer more than likely spent 18 months on the lot so I expected some issues, so it is what it is.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 04-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
The jack on my '06 Bambi has begun making a slight "grinding" noice when operated. Should I attempt to access to gears to lubricate or is it time to look for a replacement?
nsbcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsbcpa View Post
The jack on my '06 Bambi has begun making a slight "grinding" noice when operated. Should I attempt to access to gears to lubricate or is it time to look for a replacement?
I would first try to lube it. I found a lot of manuals on line by dong a search by jack name and model. Many are the same.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost