Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-16-2015, 04:01 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

New to the airstream world

My wife and recently purchased a 1971 sovereign 31 foot airstream. It's in pretty good condition for being 43 years old of course it needs a few things fixed... One being the clearance lights. I have replaced the plug on the trailer and tested all lights for function by hooking the ground to the neg side of a battery and then one by one placed all other wires to the pos side to determine what was what. I got brake, left and right turn, back up lights and electric brakes all figured out but can not get any of the clearance lights to work. Any advise as what to try next would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
njwgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 04:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Welcome!

Does the umbilical cord still have the plug on the front of the trailer, or did a PO rewire it? If it still has the plug, that connection could be suspect. Also, inside the trailer under the front window is the connector block where the umbilical ties into the trailer wiring. There may be a fuse box there too, if it's still there or has been replaced. Sometimes they simply get removed. If the fuse box is still there, then I bet you have a blown fuse for the clearance lights.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 04:29 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

It still has the umbilical cord on it...I haven't checked to see if there is power at the trailer side of it yet. I have had the inspection cover off in side under the front window but didn't see a fuse box only thing that was there was back side of the plug.
njwgunner is offline   Reply With Quote