Old 05-21-2016, 11:43 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari
Chattanooga , Tennessee
New to me battery type

I have just run across a new to me AGM battery type. It is called a carbon foam battery, and if claims prove out could be a big improvement. They are claimed to have low sulfation, and you can run them down to 20% or even 0% power without losing capacity. Here is a link to some info.

I have no connection with this whatsoever. Just wanted to know if any of you in aluminum land have had any experience with them.

Don and Lou----Don posting
'06 Safari 25 LS
'97 Chevy Suburban K2500 Diesel
TN, Greenest State in the Land of the Free
" America is not a place;it is a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:00 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
1986 25' Sovereign
Oak Harbor , Washington
Try looking at this article:

What concerns me is that the manufactures tests design may hide the sulfation problem due to not waiting long enough between discharge cycles so the sulfate does not have enough time to harden. You can obtain the same results with a good charger on a flooded battery.

I believe that all lead/sulfuric acid battery operate with the same chemistry and it is the chemistry that locks you into the sulfate issue, just part of the battery charge/discharge cycle (Pb + H2SO4 -> PbSO4 + H2O).

sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Have you read their warranty?

It looks like they have included every possible way to get out of covering the battery by things like operating temperatures, type of cleaners used on the battery casing, decrease in charge retention capacity before the warranty period expires (what's with that???) etc.

I would be very suspicious until I see more test data from actual use, not the manufacturer. As stated above, they do not specify their waiting times between recharging, which is key to preventing sulfating in any lead based battery system.

Be careful out there!!!
Lew Farber...RVIA Certified Master Tech...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote