Old 07-25-2014, 03:28 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Charleston , South Carolina
Wink New to me Airstream meets a tree

Hi Everyone! I'm new to this site and I'm about to purchase a '58 globetrotter. Problem is that my future airstream had a small run-in with a tree... Now part of the roof is dented in, as well as the side. I am no aluminum master, so I was wondering if any of you seasoned folk might be able to advise me on this matter... I saw someone else suggested to purchase 2024 T3 Aluminum .032" thick from aircraftspace.com for exterior replacement metal. Is this correct and does it come rolled? In your expert opinions, how hard will it be to replace those portions myself with all the necessary tools? I don't know how to add pictures other than to use a link (which I can't), but the damage isn't excessive: just a small noticeable dent on the top, as well as one side dent which extends through the (now broken) window. Are there video tutorials available? Do most people tackle these projects themselves?

Thanks in advance for your advice and sorry if this is a redundant post... haven't searched through all archives yet.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
First one must see the panels that you are referring to. So please add some pictures and ask again. Yes the aluminum will come rolled.
Cliff

Old 07-25-2014, 04:47 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Here are some pictures - I hope this works
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	globetrotter damage.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	217371   Click image for larger version

Name:	globetrotter 2.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	217372  

Old 07-25-2014, 05:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Take it to a pro.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
If you have no experience in doing a repair like the one pictured, forget it. It will be a money pit. Paying an expert to fix that much damage will cost more then you could buy an un damaged one for. And you will still have all the rest of the restoration and up dating that goes with an older Airstream. Just my opinion, which is worth just what you paid for it. Good luck.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:03 PM   #6
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Looks like you are in charleston. At I-95 exit 141 is DonMar RV Sales. Mary runs the place and Chuck is the panel master. They been fixing and servicing Airstreams for years.
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Okay you have heard from the sane ones now for my opinion! Measure the panels order the aluminum and yes you can do the repair just take your time! Buy the air or electric cutters from harbor freight use the scrap (belly pan or practice piece bought from a box store) and practice doing some cuts! You will do a good job just take your time and buy a 150 or so 1/8 inch cleco's (vintage trailer supply) remove the old panels and use for template. Ask questions and take a brake when you need one! Also go to walmart a pick up a heavy duty large plastic tarp (paint section) buck rivets from VTS also. Remember you can do this and you will save money or you can have it done and save stress! I say save the bucks you sound confident!
Cliff

Yes I said that! Or did I?
Old 07-25-2014, 07:31 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Thanks guys

Thanks guys, I was wondering if this might be a money pit. Plus, the current owner is asking quite a lot for it. I know that when its restored it will be worth lots more, but i'm not the expert to do big exterior metal repairs. I am comfortable tackling the interior though. Thanks for the tip on the South Carolina RV dealer. Maybe what i'll do is get in touch with Mary and see if she can give me a ballpark figure on a what a decent fix for this might be before I jump head first into this one. The search continues!
Old 07-25-2014, 07:40 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM66caravel View Post
Okay you have heard from the sane ones now for my opinion! Measure the panels order the aluminum and yes you can do the repair just take your time! Buy the air or electric cutters from harbor freight use the scrap (belly pan or practice piece bought from a box store) and practice doing some cuts! You will do a good job just take your time and buy a 150 or so 1/8 inch cleco's (vintage trailer supply) remove the old panels and use for template. Ask questions and take a brake when you need one! Also go to walmart a pick up a heavy duty large plastic tarp (paint section) buck rivets from VTS also. Remember you can do this and you will save money or you can have it done and save stress! I say save the bucks you sound confident!
Cliff

Yes I said that! Or did I?
You did! And thanks, RM66Carvel - i'm about as stubborn and determined of a female as they come. Quite honestly, I've got a team of super talented craftsmen and metalworkers by my side, so i'm not afraid of a project. But I am a perfectionist. I really appreciate your advice and methodical input in terms of how to approach it and what to buy. I just don't want to overpay for the trailer initially knowing that i'll have to do a ton of work, so having everyone's input has been very helpful. RM66Carvel, I take it you've done a fix like this before??
Thanks, Ellie
Old 07-25-2014, 07:55 PM   #10
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Ellie,

Should have included this http://www.airforums.com/forums/f47/...on-118083.html maybe 50 rigs getting together find a way to come on up. Wateree SP just a few miles up 26. Cancellations are possible, other options may exist too.

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:59 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Panel by the door looked like frankinstine after the po had an axle brake and patched it instead of doing it right! Ask for an 800.00 discount for the damage plus 250. Off for the window and another 150. For asking so much for any possible frame damage that you can't see! Yes more than likely there is a cracked frame member due to age and use! They can take abuse and hard roads but trees? Not so much!
Post pictures if you buy it and my best friend and wife can do anything that I can with aluminum! For the right price you can do this!
Cliff
Old 07-25-2014, 08:12 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Ellie,

Should have included this http://www.airforums.com/forums/f47/...on-118083.html maybe 50 rigs getting together find a way to come on up. Wateree SP just a few miles up 26. Cancellations are possible, other options may exist too.

Gary
Sounds like fun Gary! And sounds like a good chance to meet other airstream enthusiasts. I just did a cross country trip in my 1971 fully restored westfalia. I met so many awesome friends. We would park next to Airstreams at rv parks and take lots of pictures (obviously planning for our next vintage treasure)
Old 07-25-2014, 08:16 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I would not touch that unless it is free. Can you say basket case?

Perry
Old 07-25-2014, 08:17 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Just a thought while we were out on a smoke break she said that there were some in the classifieds with better shells for 2500. And 2000. I think 1 had some shell damage. Tell the current owner they have 1200. In parts and scrap ( not that much and they have to strip it) so think about that with the price.
Cliff