Old 07-25-2014, 08:19 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Charleston , South Carolina
thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM66caravel View Post
Panel by the door looked like frankinstine after the po had an axle brake and patched it instead of doing it right! Ask for an 800.00 discount for the damage plus 250. Off for the window and another 150. For asking so much for any possible frame damage that you can't see! Yes more than likely there is a cracked frame member due to age and use! They can take abuse and hard roads but trees? Not so much!
Post pictures if you buy it and my best friend and wife can do anything that I can with aluminum! For the right price you can do this!
Cliff
Great advice (again), Cliff. I'll definitely post pictures and keep you updated. You seem like the perfect person to hold a seminar for us do-it-yourselfers I think asking $1200- 1500 less than the asking price is fair given the repairs. Seller said the frame was in good shape, but I highly doubt it... An Airstream guru in NY told me that if you jump on the bumper and the whole trailer moves with it, that means the frame is still somewhat decent. Has anyone heard of that? Maybe he was just messing with me...
Ellie

Old 07-25-2014, 08:23 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I would not touch that unless it is free. Can you say basket case?

Perry
Well, Perry... that's what my husband said. "Call that guy up and tell him we'll take it off his hands for free." You're not alone in your thinking. The other side, front and back all look surprisingly dent free though. not that it makes it any better.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:26 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM66caravel View Post
Just a thought while we were out on a smoke break she said that there were some in the classifieds with better shells for 2500. And 2000. I think 1 had some shell damage. Tell the current owner they have 1200. In parts and scrap ( not that much and they have to strip it) so think about that with the price.
Cliff
Will do Cliff, and I'll check the airstream classifieds once again for the shell condition airstreams. Tell your wife thanks!
Old 07-25-2014, 08:27 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
What Perry said. Give this one a pass. Even if it's free.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:49 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Depending on the size of the airstream if you jump on the bumper and the whole thing moves you may just need to replace the axle or lose a few pounds! I prefer axle because I may be fat but I am NOT giving up food!and I am an amateur when it comes to airstreams have worked with aluminum and body repair so there are some things that are the same! Darn I feel old now time to go do something stupid so I feel young again! Top and frank are the gurus in my world if they don't know it no one else will and that makes it learning time! I would bet that frank (overlander62) takes his number down before long to stop me from calling again! I have learned a lot from others on this site also!! I try the recommendations and for the most part they all have worked just that I have to wait for Christmas before I can get the plastic welding tools!
Cliff

Yes I said that! Or did I?
Old 07-25-2014, 09:09 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Danielsville , Georgia
I think if you have the time and money to do it rite it has great potential. That size A/S is very sought after and none better than 50's and 60's. Post more pics when you can. Thanks for sharing!
Old 07-25-2014, 09:44 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Just curious , how many of the people that post these posts of smashed up trailers, that get many replies that go on for weeks, actually finish these trailers? I see a lot of pep talking, but does anyone ever really rebuild a trailer like this one, for example?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 07-25-2014, 10:24 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
That looks like it will need a lot more serious work (and skill) than just a skin replacement.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:29 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
Just curious , how many of the people that post these posts of smashed up trailers, that get many replies that go on for weeks, actually finish these trailers? I see a lot of pep talking, but does anyone ever really rebuild a trailer like this one, for example?

Well, I'm not sure as I'm new to the forum. I know for me, i'm searching specifically for an airstream for commercial purposes and there is a deadline to have it up and running. I'm not the only person involved in the business plan, so there's accountability and purpose behind it. If I do decide to purchase it and fix it, i'll post pictures so you can count me as 1 on your list.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:31 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPOTTERF View Post
I think if you have the time and money to do it rite it has great potential. That size A/S is very sought after and none better than 50's and 60's. Post more pics when you can. Thanks for sharing!
I agree! There are plenty from the same span of years for sale without major dents, but still in need of a lot of work ranging from 11k-17k.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:48 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1958 17' Pacer
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Tryon , North Carolina
I've looked at that particular Airstream. If it's the same one in Georgia. He's a nice man. Wants way too much for it! The last time I talked to him, (over a year ago) he didn't have a title. In SC you must have a title. I have completed many projects like that one and some worse. It's a long process and a lot of money. That airstream needs it all plus more. I think I offered him $1200 if he had a title.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:57 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbcole View Post
I've looked at that particular Airstream. If it's the same one in Georgia. He's a nice man. Wants way too much for it! The last time I talked to him, (over a year ago) he didn't have a title. In SC you must have a title. I have completed many projects like that one and some worse. It's a long process and a lot of money. That airstream needs it all plus more. I think I offered him $1200 if he had a title.

Hi Jim, Do you have a business restoring old airstreams? You're right - he wants too much $$. Do you happen to recall if the camper was even road worthy? Or if it would fall apart en route...? SC will issue a new title if one doesn't already exist in the state from which you are buying it - they have exceptions for trailers older than 25 years. At least that's what the woman at the DMV said.

So to come clean, while i'm a huge preservationalist in my profession, I am actually searching for a 16'-23' airstream that I can completely gut and transform into a *Gasp* food cart... I'm not talking a burger and fries joint. I actually want it as a high-end dessert cart - it won't become a grease pit, and I will keep most of the original charm as well as salvage the existing interior. To get to the bottom line, I don't need that entire side to be restored back to it's former glory at this point. I just need to make it functional. Once I give her a good polish, figure out the best way to make a service window on the side that is already damaged, and rip out the rotten interior then I'm set. She'll sit in the same spot for a stretch of time until I decide to transform her back into my retirement home or until I decide to re-sell. I don't want to offend the masses in my desire to transform a classic, but the way I see it - why transform one that's already a beauty? This one is begging to be re-imagined. When I started the post, I should have been clear on the purpose. So I'm going to take all the good advice I received here (esp from Cliff to keep and work with the metal templates using proper tools, etc.) and if it works out to buy it for a reasonable price, I'll keep you all informed on the progress! Ellie
Old 07-26-2014, 01:31 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussel , Oklahoma
Convert the bad side of the trailer into a lifting hatch door that opens to reveal your serving counter and store front. It would be better for a food cart if you could serve from the curb side of the trailer but if you have location where serving from the road side is possible then you are set. Bonus: you can keep the good side of trailer original. What are you waiting for? Pay the man what he wants and get started. You've got a food cart to build and desserts to sell
Old 07-26-2014, 02:53 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I totally agree, this trailer is the perfect candidate for a food trailer. The hatch is a very good idea in this instance... Good luck!