Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2014, 08:44 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Just curious , how many of the people that post these posts of smashed up trailers, that get many replies that go on for weeks, actually finish these trailers? I see a lot of pep talking, but does anyone ever really rebuild a trailer like this one, for example?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:24 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
That looks like it will need a lot more serious work (and skill) than just a skin replacement.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:29 AM   #23
EllenMagellan

1953 21' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Howard , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
Just curious , how many of the people that post these posts of smashed up trailers, that get many replies that go on for weeks, actually finish these trailers? I see a lot of pep talking, but does anyone ever really rebuild a trailer like this one, for example?

Well, I'm not sure as I'm new to the forum. I know for me, i'm searching specifically for an airstream for commercial purposes and there is a deadline to have it up and running. I'm not the only person involved in the business plan, so there's accountability and purpose behind it. If I do decide to purchase it and fix it, i'll post pictures so you can count me as 1 on your list.
emagellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:31 AM   #24
EllenMagellan

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Howard , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPOTTERF View Post
I think if you have the time and money to do it rite it has great potential. That size A/S is very sought after and none better than 50's and 60's. Post more pics when you can. Thanks for sharing!
I agree! There are plenty from the same span of years for sale without major dents, but still in need of a lot of work ranging from 11k-17k.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:48 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1958 17' Pacer
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Tryon , North Carolina
I've looked at that particular Airstream. If it's the same one in Georgia. He's a nice man. Wants way too much for it! The last time I talked to him, (over a year ago) he didn't have a title. In SC you must have a title. I have completed many projects like that one and some worse. It's a long process and a lot of money. That airstream needs it all plus more. I think I offered him $1200 if he had a title.

Jimbcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:57 AM   #26
EllenMagellan

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Howard , Pennsylvania
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbcole View Post
I've looked at that particular Airstream. If it's the same one in Georgia. He's a nice man. Wants way too much for it! The last time I talked to him, (over a year ago) he didn't have a title. In SC you must have a title. I have completed many projects like that one and some worse. It's a long process and a lot of money. That airstream needs it all plus more. I think I offered him $1200 if he had a title.

Hi Jim, Do you have a business restoring old airstreams? You're right - he wants too much $$. Do you happen to recall if the camper was even road worthy? Or if it would fall apart en route...? SC will issue a new title if one doesn't already exist in the state from which you are buying it - they have exceptions for trailers older than 25 years. At least that's what the woman at the DMV said.

So to come clean, while i'm a huge preservationalist in my profession, I am actually searching for a 16'-23' airstream that I can completely gut and transform into a *Gasp* food cart... I'm not talking a burger and fries joint. I actually want it as a high-end dessert cart - it won't become a grease pit, and I will keep most of the original charm as well as salvage the existing interior. To get to the bottom line, I don't need that entire side to be restored back to it's former glory at this point. I just need to make it functional. Once I give her a good polish, figure out the best way to make a service window on the side that is already damaged, and rip out the rotten interior then I'm set. She'll sit in the same spot for a stretch of time until I decide to transform her back into my retirement home or until I decide to re-sell. I don't want to offend the masses in my desire to transform a classic, but the way I see it - why transform one that's already a beauty? This one is begging to be re-imagined. When I started the post, I should have been clear on the purpose. So I'm going to take all the good advice I received here (esp from Cliff to keep and work with the metal templates using proper tools, etc.) and if it works out to buy it for a reasonable price, I'll keep you all informed on the progress! Ellie
Old 07-26-2014, 12:31 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
Convert the bad side of the trailer into a lifting hatch door that opens to reveal your serving counter and store front. It would be better for a food cart if you could serve from the curb side of the trailer but if you have location where serving from the road side is possible then you are set. Bonus: you can keep the good side of trailer original. What are you waiting for? Pay the man what he wants and get started. You've got a food cart to build and desserts to sell
Old 07-26-2014, 01:53 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I totally agree, this trailer is the perfect candidate for a food trailer. The hatch is a very good idea in this instance... Good luck!

Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 03:03 PM   #29
EllenMagellan

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Howard , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikextr View Post
Convert the bad side of the trailer into a lifting hatch door that opens to reveal your serving counter and store front. It would be better for a food cart if you could serve from the curb side of the trailer but if you have location where serving from the road side is possible then you are set. Bonus: you can keep the good side of trailer original. What are you waiting for? Pay the man what he wants and get started. You've got a food cart to build and desserts to sell
Thanks for the creative suggestions and motivation guys! That's what i'm talking about - keeping the good side original and getting creative with the mess of the other side I'll be in a parking lot, possibly curbside, but right next to a really cute outdoor deck/seating area under a big angel oak which is all lit up at night. Time to sell some pie! After some serious hard work, of course.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:30 AM   #30
EllenMagellan

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Howard , Pennsylvania
Has anyone approached a floor fix in a way similar to this man's? (Where he didn't remove the shell?) Floor Replacement - Vintage Airstream
Old 07-27-2014, 10:03 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
Floor removal

Floor removal
Old 07-27-2014, 11:51 AM   #32
EllenMagellan

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Howard , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikextr View Post
Thanks Mike! That answered some of the questions not addressed in previous post.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:33 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
That is an excellent article you referenced. Pretty much the guide for my floor and frame repairs. Working well so far.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:56 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Hico , Texas
Does anybody know of a RV repair shop in Texas who can replace the side panels of my 2007 25' International? I am in the Dallas Fort Worth Area.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Philip & Luci
Lazy Dude Ranch
Hico Texas
pdvasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:04 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
You could check with P&S Trailer Service in Helena Ohio. We have had work done there and so have several Ontario Unit members. Even if you want to do the work yourself, they have always been helpful both in person and over the phone. They might be able to help source replacement panels...They do a lot of restoration on Vintage Units
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:30 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by emagellan View Post
So to come clean, while i'm a huge preservationalist in my profession, I am actually searching for a 16'-23' airstream that I can completely gut and transform into a *Gasp* food cart...
I never thought I'd say this... but a food trailer might be the perfect application for this particular trailer.