Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-29-2005, 12:27 AM   #1

New to Me '73 Sovereign

I bought this one. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3ARTQ%3AUS%3A1 I think it's a good deal, but I could be wrong. I am a noob when it comes to Airstreams and was wondering, what should I expect that WILL be wrong with this one. The PO says it's in great shape, but I know I will be spending some money on it. Any nightmares I should be watching out for?

Thanks!!
jdholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 01:12 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
JD, Welcome to the forum. Looks like a very nice trailer from the pictures. It is a 1972 not a 73 as you stated in your post. You can tell from the VIN. Axels are always an area of concern in older units. Rear end seperation or sag is another area you will want to check out since you have a long (31') trailer. You can find tons of information on both of these subjects by searching on this forum. If you have questions, ask. This forum has pleanty of people who have been there, done that. Again, congradulations on your "new" Airstream.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 04:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdholder
Any nightmares I should be watching out for?
Thanks!!
Welcome and congrats, looks like a sweet unt! Look for soft spots on the floor alon the ealls and door, water tends to leak in from behind the lower banding. This can be sealed pretty easy but the banding should come off first. Check around the AC unit and the antena handle. If the inverter has not been swapped out you might want to upgrade Vintage Trailer has a good deal on them as well as a ton of other hard to get parts, lights and lens's and such. Check your water lines, over the years. It does look like a nice unit in great shape, looking forward to pics as you go along!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 09:31 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Western , Kentucky
I'll chime in with a welcome to the forums. Tons of information here. I also think it looks like a nice, well cared for coach. If you can at all store it under cover of a barn, garage. storage rental etc. Just sitting in the weather will age a unit faster than one being used it seems.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:51 AM   #5

Thanks all for the good info. Yep - missed the fact that it's a 72. But it doesn't rhyme as well as "New to me 73".

I will check for soft spots, and all seals and water pipes. As for rear end sag, the PO said it had the reinforcement kit applied by an Airstream dealer - is that all thats necessary?

I intend to milk this site for all the wonderful knowledge that is present here!! And then, someday when I get educated, be a contributing member!

Thanks again!
jdholder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign