Old 10-20-2009, 02:28 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
craig , Colorado
New to Airstreams

I work at a scrap yard and we get air streams from time to time. I had one that came in the other day it was in workable shape and had a title so I took it home it was used for storage for many years. It is a 72ft double axle that is all I know it needs a gut and redo I don't know where to start or what i have I am kind floundering on this one. hopefully someone out there can get me straighted out.
any advice knowledge would be appreciated.
Thanks Much

Old 10-20-2009, 02:54 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. You've found the right place for all things Airstream.

I note that you describe your Airstream as a 72 footer. You either have a typo or that's the biggest Airstream ever made.

You might want to post some photos of her to get some general impressions from the members here.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
House Springs , Missouri
Wow!

An Airstream that's 72 feet! We've got to see photos of that!

Post some photos and let us know how long it REALLY is....

Tina
1948 Curtis Wright Vintage Kin
Old 10-20-2009, 03:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
Hi Mike 001,
Don't get scared off they are just poking fun at you.

They did not look at you info yet and see that you have a 1972, 25 foot Tradewind.

We do love pictures here and they will help diagnose a lot of problems.

Start by letting us know how you want to use the trailer and we can help you through checking the systems and hardware.

Almost always the first step is to clean out the inside. Then wash the outside like you would a car or truck. (this helps the neighbors live with it)

The next step is to get it weather tight. Window and door seals and sealing the seams. (don't run out and buy a case of silicone!) Do some research here and do it right the first time!

As you get into this you will learn to use the "search function" on the forum (I like the google search upper right corner of main page)

Good luck, Welcome, Do not hesitate to ask, just be prepared for the "did you search first" response.

Most of the people here are GREAT and FULL of knowledge.

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:23 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
Welcome to the forums.

It appears as though you transposed a number. I would bet it is a 27' which is fairly common.

I would suggetst that you go to Airstream.com and look under their links and locate someone with the Vintage Airstream Club. Your unit would definitely qualify for that.

Keep an eye on this forum for a restoration rally in April(usually) that is sponsored by the Four Corners Unit in Albuquerque. You can get several ideas from that rally.

There are several members in FourCorners Unit and Denver Unit that have restored their trailers. The Vintage Airstream Club would give you several tips on them.

Bob
Member Four Corners Unit
WBCCI # 10105
AIR # 28748
Old 10-20-2009, 03:50 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
Littleton , Colorado
Welcome to the forums

As you face the challenge ahead keep telling yourself it is worth it and take little bites. It can get overwhelming just reading through some of the post here. Take it slow and document everything. Spend lots of time looking through what others have done there are some true craftsmen. There are also several here in you home state that are great at helping. There is unnumbered part swaps that go on. If you need it just ask, someone probably has it or can make it. They are great trailers and one day I hope to actually be able to enjoy mine. Keep in mind it will take longer and cost more than what you think it will. I have removed all of the interior walls and repaired/painted every inch of the frame and I still expect to find surprises. In short ask questions, have fun and if you are ever in the Denver area come by.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:48 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
craig , Colorado
Sorry I screwed up the post the trailer is a 1972 I put tradewind on my profile for lack of knowledge. I believe it is a 23 to 25 foot unit, the vin number is 129d2j2498 if this helps anyone. it is a tandem axle unit with air conditioning, full bath in back, control unit of some sort up front,and a toaster oven those are the only things that seem odd to me. Hope that clarify's for you all. I will try to post pics later today. Goal is mobile living quarters, I really think it needs a complete gut and redo you will see in the pics. I have been looking at the thread of Carlos's camper, he built it very well. I like the look of the wood he did not outside of my abilities however there was discussion of strength issues on longer units. I would like to use hickory in that application and thoughts or knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again for all the help and knowledge out there.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:14 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike001 View Post
Sorry I screwed up the post the trailer is a 1972 I put tradewind on my profile for lack of knowledge. I believe it is a 23 to 25 foot unit, the vin number is 129d2j2498 if this helps anyone. it is a tandem axle unit with air conditioning, full bath in back, control unit of some sort up front,and a toaster oven those are the only things that seem odd to me. Hope that clarify's for you all. I will try to post pics later today. Goal is mobile living quarters, I really think it needs a complete gut and redo you will see in the pics. I have been looking at the thread of Carlos's camper, he built it very well. I like the look of the wood he did not outside of my abilities however there was discussion of strength issues on longer units. I would like to use hickory in that application and thoughts or knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
You say the trailer is a "Tradewind" which is a 25 foot Airstream

But, the serial number says you have a "29" foot trailer, whose name back then was "Ambassador".

I was with Caravanner Insurance company, the insurance division of Airstream, back then.

Not meaning to alarm you, but back then many Airstreams were stolen, that we insured.

The serial number and name plates were removed from the stolen trailer, and replaced with those same plates from a totalled trailer.

On the curb side of the trailer's "A" frame, the serial number was stamped into the top side of the steel, very close to the LPG bottle rack.

Remove all the paint in that area with a good paint stripper, and see if you can find that serial number. If not, then it was removed by someone.

Every appliance also had serial numbers on them. Check and see if they are still there. A "GOOD THIEF" removed those plates as well.

You can also measure the length of the side sheet metal on the road side.

That metal sheet will be exactly 15 feet long for a 25 foot trailer, or 19 feet long for a 29 foot trailer.

Since you have a difference in description of what you actually now own, it's best you uncover the mystery, before you invest "any" money into it.

If it was stolen, then someone still may have a legal claim to it.

Other than that, welcome to Airstreaming, hopefully.

Andy
Old 10-21-2009, 11:21 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Hi Mike, If I read the vin number correctly it's a 72 29' Ambassador rear bath Ohio model. Look Here. Hickory will look fantastic. Looking forward to more posts.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:54 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
craig , Colorado
Hey Andy thanks for the info the numbers match on frame and title the reason I misrepresented what I had was because I did not know what it was I took a guess based on the little info I had. at the start I said I got it for free because some one brought it in for recycle and I thought it was nice enough to save from the crusher. I appreciate all the help so far. I really don't want one this long 18ft would be perfect what is the advise as far as maybe sectioning it out and making a smaller one, or should I clean it up and sell or trade.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:46 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thumbs up

"... because some one brought it in for recycle and I thought it was nice enough to save from the crusher."

I think I need a drink.
Thank you for recognizing the value, and saving this icon from the crusher. Best of luck with your restoration.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:57 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
craig , Colorado
hell of a reason eh!
Old 10-22-2009, 10:01 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
House Springs , Missouri
My two cents

Quote:
Hey Andy thanks for the info the numbers match on frame and title the reason I misrepresented what I had was because I did not know what it was I took a guess based on the little info I had. at the start I said I got it for free because some one brought it in for recycle and I thought it was nice enough to save from the crusher. I appreciate all the help so far. I really don't want one this long 18ft would be perfect what is the advise as far as maybe sectioning it out and making a smaller one, or should I clean it up and sell or trade.
my two cents would be to clean/fix it up and eventually sell or trade. It would be terribly challenging with the aluminum sections, frame, and "stuff" to go to the work of shortening it. Plus that probably would hurt you in the resell process. Airstreams are popular and are not hard to sell if you are asking a "fair" price for what you have and the condition it is in. People have been known to look for "years" for the perfect one to come along. So in saying all that, I would fix it up and use it while you are looking for your perfect 18' trailer. As you will find on the forums, folks own one, two, and three trailers (even more!) Good Luck and post some photos when you can.

Tina
1948 Curtis Wright Vintage Kin
Old 10-22-2009, 12:20 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
craig , Colorado
that was the response I expected I load pics today think I will make it work.