Old 08-19-2016, 07:31 AM   #1
Hiram , Georgia
New to Airstream

Hey Guys,

My wife and I are about to buy our first Airstream. It's a 1993 Excella 34 footer. Neither of us have ever had any experience with travel trailers before, so any information would be appreciated.

I've attached the link so you guys can check it out:

The overall appearance of the camper is very nice. The owner told me that the owner before him painted the exterior and had numerous clear coats applied. The interior is pretty standard, I guess, for a 93 Airstream. We plan on renovating the interior so, I'm no overly concerned about the looks of that. My major concerns are that I don't even know what I should be looking for. All the systems seem to be working fine. He's put in an electric refrigerator but other than that it's all stock.

He said the fan in the bedroom leaked so, instead of installing a new fan he just patched the spot where the old fan used to be and now its sealed up. I plan on installing two new fans in the unit, so again not overly concerned.

Any help you all can offer would be appreciated.

Oh, and he dropped the price down from $21,000 to $17,000. That seemed like a good deal to my wife and I but let me know what you all think.

abjeep94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums.

Well, if you decide to pursue this trailer, go to the "Portal" tab, and look for the "buyer's inspection checklist" This checklist will help you to thoroughly inspect the trailer and know what you are getting yourself into. Now my advice on your trailer:

Personally, I wouldn't bother with it.

Number 1 red flag is the fact that it is painted. You will spend the entire time you own the trailer explaining why you would paint a perfectly nice shiny aluminum trailer. So why would someone paint an aluminum trailer? Probably because it has a bunch of damage, ie., hail, or other crumpled sheet metal, and the easiest thing to do was to bondo up the damage and paint. Make sure the title is clear, and not some kind of salvage/rebuilt title, suggesting that your seller already got his full value from the insurance company, and now he is trying to pass on damaged goods to the next unsuspecting buyer.

The leaking vent is the next concern. All of these trailers leak, and it is a constant battle to maintain them and keep the leak from turning into floor rot. This trailer very likely has a rotting subfloor. Tread carefully (literally, as you might fall through the floor).

The replacement fridge is the next concern. A real RV fridge for this trailer will run over $1000, so the seller bought a cheap "dorm" style fridge for $150 and slapped it in. This is another "lipstick on a pig" type of solution that just makes me wonder how many other corners are cut.

Finally, the seller seems quite contankerous with their announcement that they "will not post any additional picture." Doesn't sound like they are really interested in full disclosure or transparency. Also, the body of the ad says its a 1993, but the data to the right says it is a 1997. It is also titled "air-stream," which makes me seriously question if this person even knows what they have.

Get yourself good and educated about these trailers before you rush to make a purchase. Many inexperienced buyers buy something they think will need a few superficial fix-ups, and end up with a multi-year rennovation that starts with a shell-off (myself included). Many times the sellers don't evenknow how bad of condition the trailer is in, so you can't really even blame them for selling you a wreck.

Anyway, good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote