Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2017, 09:11 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
New System for Monitoring Tanks

The original system I have in my trailer for monitoring the fresh, grey and black tanks is not accurate. I am considering replacing it with a new system like the SeeLevel II. What experiences has everyone had with replacing their systems? Do the external monitor systems work well? What systems would you recommend? Thanks!
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
SeeLevel II tank monitoring system

I would really appreciate some comments from those of you that have installed a SeeLevel II tank monitoring system. Anyone out there that has put one in??? Thanks!
Old 06-16-2017, 10:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Interested as well

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:59 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Annapolis , Maryland
I replaced the original, inaccurate system in my 2010 28 international with a see level system. This was done about three years ago an has worked very well. The key to accuracy in this system is cutting the sensors to correct length ..... then attaching them at the appropriate level on the tanks. The instructions provide good detail for accomplishing a good installation.
wander-west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:31 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
I also replaced my old system with a See Level about 1 year ago. The system seems to work very well. There are some tight places when applying the sensors and the adhesive is very strong so make sure you have then lined up very well before placing them on the tanks. I also placed Gorilla tape over them to make sure they stayed in place. Follow their instructions about cutting and placing them.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Thanks guys! I appreciate you sharing your experiences. Did you have to remove the belly pan to apply the sensors? Are they applied on the bottom of the tanks or on the sides? Thanks!
Old 06-17-2017, 11:32 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Woodbury , New Jersey
The sensors are applied to the sides of the tanks.
windfallsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:24 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Rancho Palos Verdes , California
We just installed SeeLevel II monitors on our fresh water and grey tanks. We ran a test with husband filling the fresh water while I was inside where I could see both the SeeLevel monitor and the tank. When the monitor showed the water tank 100% full I could still see that the water was just short of the top by 1/8th inch. So we know we still have a little room when it's at 100%.

Then we started running water into the grey tank with the bathtub plug open (ask me about the tub geyser that led to my insistence on the monitoring system... ) As the grey tank monitor approached 100% we could see water under the tub drain. When it hit 100% we ran water down the kitchen sink to see if there's any leeway there. Nope. We saw water come up into the tub almost immediately. The water did drain once shut off which lead us to believe that the only excess capacity we have is the volume of the drain pipe leading to the tank.

Our fresh water tank is made of opaque white plastic (I can see the water level through it). The grey tank is solid black - no way I can see through it, but the SeeLevel does.
riowerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 03:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Did you guys have to remove the belly pan to install the sensors on the sides of the tanks? Thanks!
Old 06-17-2017, 03:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
Did you guys have to remove the belly pan to install the sensors on the sides of the tanks? Thanks!

I have the same question. How to gain access to the tanks?
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 04:25 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Daphne , Alabama
Mine have woed great since new in 2004

Quote:
The original system I have in my trailer for monitoring the fresh, grey and black tanks is not accurate. I am considering replacing it with a new system like the SeeLevel II. What experiences has everyone had with replacing their systems? Do the external monitor systems work well? What systems would you recommend? Thanks!
Mine have been in service for 13 years now. May be Sealevel ones though, however whoever said to cut them the right lenght is right and make sure they're firmly attached to the tank.
IAMGLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 04:47 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
I've enjoyed using the SeeLevel II in ours. I didn't install, but it's worth every penny. The old Micropulse was shot.
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:09 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I suppose it very much depends on how you use your trailer, but the old system on our 2005 trailer (micropulse?) has never seemed much use - and I have never needed it, mainly as we are 99% on full hookups anyway.

But when we are not,

- gray water backs up into shower pan? - gray water tank full.

- nothing comes out the taps? - fresh water gone.

- stove stops working? - propane gone. (I always work wth just one bottle open. When the stove quits, I switch to the second tank and get the first one filled within a few days.

- looking down inside the toilet gives me a pretty good idea how things are down there!

- battery condition? - I have an inexpensive digital voltmeter always plugged in to a 12v outlet.

Works fine for me, so I have never considered looking for a better system than the one AS installed - that doesn't seem so good! I like simple!

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:18 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingeezer View Post

- stove stops working? - propane gone. (i always work wth just one bottle open. When the stove quits, i switch to the second tank and get the first one filled within a few days.

- looking down inside the toilet gives me a pretty good idea how things are down there!

- battery condition? - i have an inexpensive digital voltmeter always plugged in to a 12v outlet.
Perfect!
NWGetaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
The tanks are not supported when the belly pans are removed, so that approach is not a viable option. Supposedly the piping to the black and gray tanks can possibly support the tanks but I would not recommend it.

I spoke with a tech at the HQ Service Center and they have drawings on where to make the cut in the black tank belly pan. And to go through the space where the water pump is for fresh water.

Suggest you reach out to Airstream first for advice, as retrofitting SeaLevel systems in the Service Center has become more routine and state mixed.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:44 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Greg,
Thanks for the input on the belly pan!
Old 06-18-2017, 12:54 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Rancho Palos Verdes , California
Quote:
In our case both tanks are accessible without having to go through the belly pan. We have a 1964 Overlander that we did a frame on full restoration. My husband built a support structure under the bathroom floor for the grey tank such that the side of the tank where the monitor is mounted is accessible behind the bumper. The fresh water tank is under the bed on the street side.
riowerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 01:01 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
I suppose it very much depends on how you use your trailer, but the old system on our 2005 trailer (micropulse?) has never seemed much use - and I have never needed it, mainly as we are 99% on full hookups anyway.

But when we are not,

- stove stops working? - propane gone. (I always work wth just one bottle open. When the stove quits, I switch to the second tank and get the first one filled within a few days.

- battery condition? - I have an inexpensive digital voltmeter always plugged in to a 12v outlet.

Works fine for me, so I have never considered looking for a better system than the one AS installed - that doesn't seem so good! I like simple!
You get to know your trailer and your usage and know how long you can go between dumps/fills.