Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2016, 12:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Surf City , New Jersey
New RV delivery

I am taking delivery of a 2016 19 ft. Bambi Flying Cloud later this month. I am really getting concerned over the maintenance issues with Airstreams since monitoring this site. Im not talking about normal maintenance issues but the actual condition of a brand new product.? Seems a lot going on with AS QC. Does anyone know of an inspector or at least and AS owner that can assist me with the initial inspection? I'm a firm believer in holding back the final payment to get things done promptly. Money always works as once its out of their yard you are on your own if you are leaving the area as well.
weber.roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 12:36 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by weber.roger View Post
I am really getting concerned over the maintenance issues with Airstreams since monitoring this site.
You must keep in mind that AirForums members are a small but vocal subset of Airstream owners. The vast majority of owners experience very few problems and obtain warranty service without the need to complain here on the Forums. In fact, many of them are unaware that the AirForums even exist. It's not like there's an AirForums brochure in every new Airstream, after all.

I like reading the various complaints, and trying to help folks solve their problems by means of long-distance second- and third-hand troubleshooting, but I don't consider those complaints to be truly representative of the majority of Airstreams.

In other words, don't worry about problems that haven't happened yet. Do a thorough walk-through before taking delivery, and test every installed system for yourself. The best inspector for any Airstream is the new owner, in this case you.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:57 PM   #3
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
You must keep in mind that AirForums members are a small...

I'm not small... I'm tall, I'm tall.

-Red, a wild and crazy guy...
Old 01-04-2016, 01:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Surf City, NJ is only 45 miles away from Colonial Airstream, one of the more respected dealers. While I've had no personal dealings with them they have good reviews for service/repair.

Kelvin
Old 01-04-2016, 01:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
I would suggest reading through the forums and compile your own checklist to review when you do your inspection. Make sure it includes interior and exterior items and verifies all plumbing and electrical items.

We took our trailer out for a road trip right after to shake down the trailer and sure enough a few minor things were identified.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Each trailer comes with an inspection punch/check list provided by Airstream. I would get a clean copy and go over it item by item with the dealer rep. At least that way you will know every system is good to go. The basic warranty is two years. I would keep a list of all issues and either have them looking at by your dealership or better yet schedule a trip to Jackson Center to have the pros in the service center make them right.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 02:45 PM   #7
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
New Jersey - is that Colonial? They should be able to provide good and effective service. The factory is a great backup, but developing a relationship with your dealer's service staff is of significant value. Knowing you can make a phone call just before closing and get information, being able to get a quick turn on an emergency repair, and just knowing that you have a resource when you need it are good reasons for developing that relationship.

The good news is that JC is not that far from you. It's a great destination and the parking is free if you are having service done. You will learn a lot from the staff and customers that you meet there.

Good luck and travel safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote