Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2008, 11:55 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
New questions to ask when shopping for an AS

Hi--

Been on the hunt for a 22ft (plus/minus 2 feet) Airstream or Argosy in the Oregon / Washington area. We plan to make a bunch of improvement so wehave been looking for solid trailer in need of repair to allow for room for improvements.

Now there are the FAQs about how to check the frame, the flooring... how to spot leake... etc, ect.

I've now come up with a few new "filtering" questions for the phone interview and either making a right or left looking for a "solid" trailer. Here is a good list of top ten questions one should ask before before driving to the horizon in search of the a trailer in the $2000-2500 range.

1. Does it have all of it's glass ? ... and how much of it is broken??
2. Has the chrome window lifter bar thingees rusted through?
3. Have you seen the AC cowling? ... recently?
4. How big is the wasp nest in it?
5. Does the outside aluminum look like a repo-man attacked it with a 5ft can opener?
6. Does it have wheels?
7. Do those wheels have tires on them?
8. Will I need a machete to beat back the brush to get in the door?
9. Has the water pump been converted to a bilge pump?
10. How much of the ground can you see from inside the trailer?

Some of these are minor exaggerations... but after 3 trailers... I'm now looking at the $5K price range for a fixer-upper.

Feel free to share my pain.

Thanks,
Ron
ronstory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:04 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Hang in there, finding the right one is not always easy. There is an expression about kissing a bunch of toads...

One question I did ask an owner of a trailer I was looking at was, "Any idea what caliber bullet caused those holes?" I walked away from that one.

Another question that might be appropriate for some trailers would be, "Any idea what the current population of the trailer is and could you break that number down by species?"

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:24 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Richard--

Thanks for the encouragement... and we'll just have to maintain our patience. However, turning around in the trailer (this was the one with little glass left) and seeing a buzzing nest of wasps was a bit of surprise. Now I have the owner for first and I can watch from the safety of the door and try and remembe that magic nine one something number on the cell.

I like your question about asking for census demographics.

Thanks,
Ron
Old 07-09-2008, 07:28 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Mont-Laurier , Québec
What it may mean...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronstory View Post
Hi--

Been on the hunt for a 22ft (plus/minus 2 feet) Airstream or Argosy in the Oregon / Washington area. We plan to make a bunch of improvement so wehave been looking for solid trailer in need of repair to allow for room for improvements.

Here is a good list of top ten questions one should ask before before driving to the horizon in search of the a trailer in the $2000-2500 range.

Some of these are minor exaggerations... but after 3 trailers... I'm now looking at the $5K price range for a fixer-upper.

Feel free to share my pain.

Thanks,
Ron
I think you have come up with the right conclusion. Under $5K, I think I would not even go see it. I drove from Ottawa to Indiana 8-9 years ago to get my 1977 Argosy Minuet, for about $6K, I believe. I didn't put much money on it so far... perhaps $2K plus, I am adding a new axle with brakes, this year, and it still doesn't have an awning... With the axle installed, today's value would probably be around $10K (see my avatar or my photos)...!!! And don't forget: with the price of gazoline, these days, there is a hight demand for small trailers.
Good luck in your search for the good one!
adore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:22 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Adore--

Good data point on the Minuet. I would love to find a 22ft Minuet but they seem to be quite rare.

I'd like to keep the length to 20-22ft but most of the Airstreams the Portland, OR area seem to be the uber-length variety. I can find one of those in great shape for $5k... but don't want a 30footer and they don't seem to be selling.

Thanks,
Ron