Been on the hunt for a 22ft (plus/minus 2 feet) Airstream or Argosy in the Oregon / Washington area. We plan to make a bunch of improvement so wehave been looking for solid trailer in need of repair to allow for room for improvements.
Now there are the FAQs about how to check the frame, the flooring... how to spot leake... etc, ect.
I've now come up with a few new "filtering" questions for the phone interview and either making a right or left looking for a "solid" trailer. Here is a good list of top ten questions one should ask before before driving to the horizon in search of the a trailer in the $2000-2500 range.
1. Does it have all of it's glass ? ... and how much of it is broken??
2. Has the chrome window lifter bar thingees rusted through?
3. Have you seen the AC cowling? ... recently?
4. How big is the wasp nest in it?
5. Does the outside aluminum look like a repo-man attacked it with a 5ft can opener?
6. Does it have wheels?
7. Do those wheels have tires on them?
8. Will I need a machete to beat back the brush to get in the door?
9. Has the water pump been converted to a bilge pump?
10. How much of the ground can you see from inside the trailer?
Some of these are minor exaggerations... but after 3 trailers... I'm now looking at the $5K price range for a fixer-upper.
Feel free to share my pain.