Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2008, 10:14 AM   #1
PopHetzler

2003 34' Classic S/O
Troy , Ohio
New Owner Shakedown Checklist

Just got a '94 34' Classic Limited. Don't really see that category any where. Is its common name Excella?

If anyone has a pre-departure checklist I would sure appreciate getting a copy. Our new home away from home is in pretty good shape but has spent a lot of time in south Texas. I can see lots of things that might need replacement or some corrosion control. I also need tips on how to clean interior fabrics on the walls and cushions, toilet replacement options, replacing latches on outside storage bins, stereo/audio upgrades and ideas, exterior surface upkeep/repair and leveling hints/technics.

Should I post a thread for each thing? Seems like the best approach. Need some advice from you vetrans!!! Don Hetzler.
Emh142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 11:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emh142 View Post
Just got a '94 34' Classic Limited. Don't really see that category any where. Is its common name Excella?

If anyone has a pre-departure checklist I would sure appreciate getting a copy. Our new home away from home is in pretty good shape but has spent a lot of time in south Texas. I can see lots of things that might need replacement or some corrosion control. I also need tips on how to clean interior fabrics on the walls and cushions, toilet replacement options, replacing latches on outside storage bins, stereo/audio upgrades and ideas, exterior surface upkeep/repair and leveling hints/technics.

Should I post a thread for each thing? Seems like the best approach. Need some advice from you vetrans!!! Don Hetzler.
The biggest and most expensive item on a check list, is the condition of the axles.

If they are ok, then checking the alignment is also a good idea.

And finally, decide what air pressure you wish to air your tires to, and why that pressure. Make sure the tires are all ok. Remember, Airstreams love a soft ride. Having the running gear properly balanced, saves tire problems and is kind to the shell, frame and it's contents.

Then, a final check is lug nuts, lug nuts and more lug nuts.
Make super sure that they are all torqued properly.

Is the load equalizing hitch a proper rating for your trailer, and is it installed correctly as well as adjusted correctly?

Many different things can happen on a trip, but as long as the running gear is ok, then at least you can get the trailer back home, without the assistance of a wrecker.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 06:26 AM   #3
PopHetzler

2003 34' Classic S/O
Troy , Ohio
Thanks for the tips. I guess this stuff should go to the top of the list!! I guess the 50lbs in the tires I have now won't exactly provide the soft ride. I didn't look it up yet but I'm guessing that something less than that would be better.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:43 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emh142
I guess the 50lbs in the tires I have now won't exactly provide the soft ride. I didn't look it up yet but I'm guessing that something less than that would be better.
No, that 50 psi is bit low for most applications. Underinflating is a short-term answer to the rubber in the torsion axles stiffening, the lower tire pressure will help cushion the road shock of the stiff axle rubber. If you run the tires too low, it can (and will) cause, in no particular order:
Sway
increased tire wear on the outer edges
tire failure from the heat generated by the sidewalls flexing
MORE stuff thrown around inside the trailer, from it wallowing around.
There should be a tag somewhere on your trailer, probably on the back of a closet door, that will give you the trailer's GVW, tire size, load range, and inflation pressure.
There is a "preflight checklist" here on the forums, I'll try to dig up a link to it.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:47 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
here ya' go:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...list-7630.html
Old 07-06-2008, 10:27 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Oceanside , California
Galley PackingDeparture ExteriorCupsDisconnect everythingTrash bagsLook under trailerSpongeEmpty holding tankPaper PlatesCap holding tankTurn off water heaterBath PackingTurn off propane tanksToilet ChemsRemove JacksToilet PaperSecure stepsTowelsSecure hatchesToiletriesLock door dead boltRemove wheel chockOther packingTires okBinocularsLook around camp areaBird bookCameraHitch/truckWeight distribution barsDeparture InteriorSafety chains secureClose windows and ventsReciever clipPut refrig on 12v or offCoupler latch clipNo loose itemsBreak away lanyardRefrigerator secureTighten sway controlWater pump offElectrical connectionLight checkBrake checkMirror check
pauly g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:30 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Oceanside , California
Oh, I tried to paste this in a table format, and it didn't work. If you PM me and give me your email I will send you the spreadsheet.

Paul
pauly g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 02:27 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Roseburg , Oregon
can you send me one too?

I am new to rving and need a departure checklist/ spreadsheet as well. Could you email me one at rachelmallalieu@hotmail,com ? I would sure appreciate it!
rachel kings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:22 PM   #9
PopHetzler

2003 34' Classic S/O
Troy , Ohio
Wow. I checked quickly and what you linked for me looks great. Don't have time to study it right now but at first glance it looks pretty comprehensive. I'll send a quick thank you to the original contributers too. Thanks again. This site is really working out good for me. Don Hetzler.