Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2017, 07:40 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
De Pere , Wisconsin
New owner of a 2010 FC 30RB. Anything special to look out for?

My wife and I picked up a 2010 Flying Cloud 30 RB today from a man whos wife had sadly passed away recently and he was not going to use the trailer anymore. The trailer was listed just hours before we spotted it and was only two miles from our home. Feels meant to be.

I have been digging around these forums and am seeing some things that are of some concern but I would rather know than not know what to look for!

The trailer since 2012 or 2013 has been stored indoors and may have been before than but I do not know. We will be storing indoors as well.

The PO had been to Jackson Center in 2014 and had it gone over and added the 16 wheels (all 5) upgrade along with an inspection which noted a few sealants patched up.

He seemed to be very proactive and that put me at ease, but I realize anyone can miss something.

I am wondering specifically what areas to give a good check over to and if the rear bumper area has ever leaked how would I tell? If it has, how would I remedy it from a sealing it up standpoint?

Looking forward to our annual 2-3 month long trips to the desert southwest along with some other local short trips around Wisconsin.

We have had a 5th wheel and a motorhome in the past but have always been drawn to Airstreams.

Thanks in advance!
2wiresdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:49 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Congratulations !!!

Safety first - have somebody check over the tires, brakes, bearings, and other running gear.

Next up on a 6 year old trailer would be batteries. If you still have the originals, it's probably worth swapping them out. Any time you swap out batteries these days, it's well worth looking at the converter / charger as well. If the batteries are still ok (swapped in 2014 maybe?), wait on the converter charger.

Once you are sure it's safe, take it out and use it. Don't do anything to crazy (wait on Alaska). Expect that you will find things and allow time to fix them.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 08:44 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
De Pere , Wisconsin
Thanks Uncle Bob,

The batteries and tires and rims (Michelin LTX's) were changed out in 2014. The whole trailer went to Jackson Center in 2014 as well and was gone through extensively.

I will carefully go through all the seals etc and give it a close look over.

Mainly wondering if there are any major gotcha's I should be hyper aware of and proactive in catching them early.
2wiresdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 08:47 PM   #4
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Go camping one rainy weekend and look for leaks while TV commercials are on.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 08:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Get a moisture meter; the Sonin available on Amazon will do fine.

Sonin Model # 50211 10% to 28% Analog Wood, Concrete, Plaster, Carpet and More Moisture Meter

Use it to probe through carpet or vinyl flooring to the wood subfloor. Compare the readings you get to readings from good dry wood lumber or plywood. Do this regularly as a part of your proactive maintenance program. If you find excessive numbers, probe around and look for ways water can get in.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote