Been reading the forums for a while and finally went ahead and bought a 1966
airstream. Very excited to begin the project of bringing her back to life (I think it will be a 'her' name to be decided!).
The PO had placed wood panels on-top of the wooden sub-floor, and the sub floor is really dry and no signs of damp/rot (only done the front half so far, so not sure around wheel wells). However, yep, always a however, the belly pan had come away under the shower/bathroom, and well it is not looking good. A lot of rust which I can wire brush away, and the beams are still solid, I can't poke a screwdriver or anything through them. Also I could look further into the trailer and the rust seems to be just on the beams under the bathroom.
I just wanted to get advice from you guys, as looking at some of the renovations you have done, well I am in awe let's say, and mega excited to get going.
Just wondering what your opinions are/advice on:
1) Can I wire brush this rust away and apply POR 15. Will the beams be strong enough still? I have no welding experience etc...
2) Will the rest of the frame be ok if the floor is dry?
3) People talk a lot about the C channel, but where is it exactly? Will it be rusted, or how can I check easily?
4) Found a hole in the front covered in wire mesh. No idea what this is? Any ideas? (have attached pictures)
5) the box holding the black tank seems to have completely rusted, but I think this is fairly straight forward to fix?
I've attached pictures, hoping to get some friendly advice, as right now I am not sure if I have bought a lemon! Excited though non-the-less. Really don't want to take the shell off, as it is something I would have to get someone else to do, and guessing it would be expensive?!