Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-25-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Nort Hollywood , California
Wink New owner of '69 Land Yacht 25' needs help from wise airlovers

Ok I know nothing and this bitch is in bad shape. But I feel compelled to save her, and make her pretty. So here goes. Please calling on all mentors and prophets of air repair ........ Take me though it . She is completely gutted . Where do I get parts and inside wall cover . What kind of insolation do I use and where do I start Maybe floor. Where do I find electronic schematics . Help please, kind airlovers.
Airgirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:45 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
Hi Airgirl1 and welcome to the forums. the first thing you will discover here is that we like pictures, LOTS of pictures!
To answer your question, most parts are available or can be made reasonably. the cost and time to complete will vary depending on your level of skill and commitment but is almost never quick or cheap.
This is not a commitment for the faint of heart but is is also fun and very rewarding as you watch your AS come together in just the way you want it. There is probably more information contained in these forums than you could ever read or use but a lot of it will be essential to your success. So, start reading and planning, dont throw anything away untill you are absolutely sure it wont be needed again and enjoy.

Tim aka Rumrunner
rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:17 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
1959 22' Flying Cloud
fairview , New Mexico
I also have a 69 tradewind. K think the 69 is one of the best years. It was a transitional year. New bodystyle and the last AS made by Airstream before Beatrice foods. It is interesting, it has parts from pre 68 parts that are 69 exclusive and parts that were used on the Beatrice builds. Post pics. We love pics.

Avion C11
1959 Flying Cloud
1969 Tradewind
1973 Safari
1983 34 ft Limited
2004 F250 superduty ext cab
2014 F350 longbed superduty crewcab
arodriguez60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airgirl1 View Post
...Where do I get parts and inside wall cover . What kind of insolation do I use and where do I start Maybe floor. Where do I find electronic schematics . Help please, kind airlovers.
Do you mean that the interior skin is missing? If so, you can order 0.025" (or 0.032) aluminum sheet in lengths long enough to do the full wall sides. Also, look at Aircraft Spruce and Specialty company for tools, rivets, etc. There are many other providers. If aluminum riveting is beyond your skills, Google for the nearest person who is building a Van's RV (in this case this does not stand for recreational vehicle) homebuilt airplane or go to a popular local airport.

Yes, start on floor first. Then electrical, then vents and air conditioning, then interior skin, then tanks and dump valves, then window and door seals, then bathroom, then all other cabinets (thinking of plumbing while you design them), then interior plumbing. Polish the outside while you're waiting for parts or have a spare hour.

One of the more expert Airstream rebuilders (UWE) is down in Orange County. Look for his posts on the forums. Nice guy--take a bottle of Two-Buck and go see his work. Sometimes he has interior pieces he's removed to make way for his own cabinetry.

Yes, you will be busy.

Zep
Old 05-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1951533048.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	593.9 KB
ID:	157510

She is finally. Here
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-506347940.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	598.2 KB
ID:	157509  
Old 05-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...

Name:	image-3309716239.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	495.0 KB
ID:	157515

How do I repair this
Old 05-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Sault ste Marie , Ontario
If the interior skin is off, I would tap out the dimples and put a small riveted patch over the whole area. The other option is to replace the whole panel$$$$$$$.....Phil.
pgr32e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:23 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airgirl1 View Post
...How do I repair this
Be careful about "tapping" the bumps out. You can make it worse because you'll slightly expand the skin and wind up with a larger bump. What you want to do is tap the bumps down so the skin is nearly flat (but still has a bad appearance--it's when you try to get it to look good that you actually make it worse), then put on a patch.

It looks like this damage is in the dome. If you had a roller you could roll out the wrinkles above the rivet line from the inside. I'd put make the upper edge of the patch flush with the piece of skin above, not under it. You will be surprised that the patch will "disappear" and most people won't even notice it, especially if you round the corners.

Name:	patch1.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	157631

A flat patch may fit fine, even though the dome is curved. Your damage looks like it can be covered by a 4"x5" patch, which is fairly small. If it won't lie flat, then you'll have to roll the center of the patch to give it a slight compound curve.

Zep
Old 05-07-2012, 08:44 AM   #9
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Hi Airgirl1 looks like a project alright. I agree with Zep that patch should work even though the end cap is curved. I get a lot of stuff from Aircraft Spruce. The have a location in Carona Ca so the shipping isn't that bad. But before you put the interior walls up let me make a couple suggestions.
1) Seal every seam with roofing patch.
2) I met with a restorer the other day and told me to spray the inside of the end caps with wheel well undercoating (available from any auto parts store). He said that the end caps are real flimsy. He actually had one collapse because he took the coating off. He said that it adds rigidity.
You also have a couple places near you for parts that can be helpful. Fastenal and Industrial Metal supply in Sun Valley near the Burbank Airport. I had metal fabricated for me at Patton's Metal (they have a giant metal break). I got my MGP sub floor near here and Inland RV has a lot of great stuff as does Coast RV (near me in Aguoura Hills).
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote