Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2013, 11:07 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bakersfield , California
New member Ken- '76 Sovereign

Hi guys. About to pick up what seems to be a pretty good deal. Where is the best place to find parts? Right away I need lens for exterior tail lights. Also looking for shower curtain, bedroom decider curtain.
More questions later. Really appreciate it.
Happy New Year!
Kens76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:43 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Hartford , Alabama
Welcome Kens76,
Online or local?
I've used Inland RV Center - The Nations Leading Expert in Airstream Innovations
Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!

andVintage Trailer Supply - parts and supplies for vintage travel trailers and campers!
online, I'm sure there are others. I can't find a dealer close to me, but the west coast seems to have quite a few.
Tom J
Valacidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:54 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bakersfield , California
Thank you Tom. How about what to use to polish her up?
Old 01-02-2014, 06:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kens76 View Post
Thank you Tom. How about what to use to polish her up?
Welcome to the Forum!

This should keep you busy...
Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing - Airstream Forums
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:33 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2000 33' Land Yacht
Ball Ground , Georgia
Good luck

Good luck on your find. I got my 76 several years ago and took lots of work as there was much to do. I changed my exterior lights to LED's so if you have issues finding replacements let me know. Any question you have about your Airstream probably has been ask on this forum if you have the time to read that much. You are welcome to contact me if you wish. Mine needed about 16 months of rework and I did what I could to adapt, make, rig or whatever to stay away from any RV parts especially brand name. It took a lot of work but I Really enjoy it now. Keep working and you will fall in love with AS's

Gene and Elaine Thomason
Ball Ground Ga.
1976 31 foot Sovereign
2011 GMC 2500HD Denali
6.6 Duramax Diesel
AL’ UM- MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:25 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bakersfield , California
Leds

Interested in changing to LEDS. Can I get name of company you got parts, what model numbers to get, costs?
Thanks a bunch
Ken
Old 01-05-2014, 09:28 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bakersfield , California
Also, tomorrow picking up. It's been sitting for 17 years. After reading some comments on forums, I'm nervous that I may need to buy axels. Didn't see any bends etc. but what are my chances?
Old 01-05-2014, 10:34 AM   #8

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kens76 View Post
Also, tomorrow picking up. It's been sitting for 17 years. After reading some comments on forums, I'm nervous that I may need to buy axels. Didn't see any bends etc. but what are my chances?
If it's been sitting for 17 years, I'd bet a mortgage payment that it needs new axles. However, the normal failure mode of the rubber torsion axles is just to stiffen up so that they don't provide much suspension travel, and that takes a slow toll on furnishings, cargo and interior rivets. I towed on stiff old axles for the first year... I own a pop-rivet gun now. If the bearings are in OK shape and you put newer tires on it, you should be OK. Either of those last 2 items is more likely to ruin your day on the tow home than stiff old axles. How far do you have to tow it?

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:51 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bakersfield , California
Nooo! Don't tell me so. Lol
I have a slow 1 hour drive. Taking my buddy who is a retired mechanic for the fire dept. so hopefully he will have good news.
If axels are bad, what should I expect to pay for new ones and where do you get them?
Old 01-05-2014, 07:51 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2000 33' Land Yacht
Ball Ground , Georgia
Ken's76, if you private pm me and I will put the lens in the mail to you. I suggest you wait on LED's for awhile ,looks like you will have enough work for a few days. Get it home, priortize work, time, money, and usage then get started.

Gene and Elaine Thomason
Ball Ground Ga.
1976 31 foot Sovereign
2011 GMC 2500HD Denali
6.6 Duramax Diesel
Old 01-22-2014, 06:07 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bakersfield , California
Hi Gene! Hey, received the lenses. Thank you so much. I will send a check for the shipping. Right now, I'm wondering if I have bad axels, can I just replace whatever those boot things made out of rubber are and replace bearings and grease or do I need a whole new axels.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:23 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2000 33' Land Yacht
Ball Ground , Georgia
Axels

Ken, if you will PM your E-Mail address to me I have a number of photos that may give you some ideals on some things you might want to do as you get time and money. One thing I did that May help you decide about the conditions of your axels. I took pictures of the height of my axels as they are new. You can compaire were the hub cap shows in relation to the wheel well trim.There are many folks on this forum that are knowledgable about axels but as I understand they can't be rebuilt. I think there are two main sources. Personally I repacked my bearings but in the process found a broken brake spring and realized difficult to find new. It seemed to me the magnets were not as strong as the new replacement are. I decided to replace the complete axel with new backing plates, bearings,brake drums,magnets,shoes,shocks and also replaced with a heavier axel plus centamatics.I should be able to get about 30-35 years and I will let my kids fight over who replaces the next set. I'm glad the lens work for you. Gene

Gene and Elaine Thomason
Ball Ground Ga.
1976 31 foot Sovereign
2011 GMC 2500HD Denali
6.6 Duramax Diesel
Old 03-08-2014, 10:12 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bakersfield , California
Gene, received your lenses a while back. Could not read return address to send you some $$ for postage.
Can I get your address?
Thanks again,
Ken
Old 03-10-2014, 04:09 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Hey Ken, you all most certainly have rear end separation your Sovereign as well. Have someone jump up and down on the rear bumper as you watch the area between the skin and the frame. If it moves it's separated. You can't really tell till you get the inside bath skins off. The 70s era had a design flaw that basically funneled water into the rear bath between the skins and caused floor rot. A big job but one you'll only do once.

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign