Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2018, 01:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1987 33' Argosy
COLLIERVILLE , Tennessee
New Axles?

Hello, Have a 1987 32' Argosy(Square Stream) Travel trailer. Do these axles go bad after a certain age? Also, I am replacing the shocks and need to know which will work on my trailer. The shocks are not vertical. They are between vertical and horizontal. I do not know what degree they are.
I have been told a vertical shock will not work properly because of the way they are designed.

New wheel bearings.

Thanks all.
B and R

I do not see many of these trailers at all? What happened to them?
B and R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
The axles are pretty much at the end of their expected life. There is an article about them on Inland RV's website that may be helpful. I used the OEM shocks from Airstream. Some claim you don't need to but I didn't want to experiment.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 05:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
From my experience the 70s Duratorque axles tended to stiffen after 15 to 20 years. I have not heard of the same degree of problem with axles from the 80s. Axles on my 93 are still OK, The wheel wells should be even with or above the top of the wheel rim. Attach a photo. If you jack the side of the trailer up you should be able to jack the body of the trailer a couple of inches before the wheels come off the ground. Make sure to jack it up from a jacking point or under the axle mounting plate.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
The axles on my 75 Overlander were shot. Here is a photo showing how the swing arms are nearly horizontal. They come from the factory with a downward 22.5 degree "starting angle".

So you might want to jack up one side of your trailer, take the wheels off, and look at your swing arms. A downward angle is good.

It is obvious that my wheels were buried deeper in the wheel wells. Many experienced vintage Airstreamers can look at a trailer and see it is a "low rider" and needing new axles. Bad axles loose their suspension capability and become stiff as a board. This puts extra stress on the trailer when towing over bumps.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1801 Axles Bad Angle (Small).JPG
Views:	70
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	306482  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:33 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1988 Argosy 32
Lomita , California
they last 20 year's at best, yours are 10 years past prime.
i got mine from inland rv (andy)
Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote