Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Quantico , Virginia
New Axle for a '59 Tradewind

Hi,

I'm looking to replace the axle, hubs, and drums on my '59 Tradewind. I'm in the Quantico, VA (DC area). Can anyone recommend how to go about getting an axle assembly and having it installed in this area?
steveirving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
Are they sprung or torsion?

Colin Hyde
colinhydeairstream@gmail.com

or Andy @ Inland RV
Silver Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
It ain't magic. You have a spring axle. Why not go to any trailer shop...does not have to be an RV type...and get brakes and hubs. Less than 75 each and put 'em on. Buy 'em on line too.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
If it has the original axle it should be replaced. The original axle was only good for about 3500#, and had obsolete hubs and brakes.

I replaced mine with a 5200# 4" drop axle from Dexter, and Nevr-adjust 12x2 brakes.

I also added one more leaf to the spring pack, but I was doing a total rebuild and added about 800# to the gross weight. You won't need that unless you have added tanks, A/C, new floor, and other upgrades.

Now anytime I need bearings, seals, or other brakes I can buy them off the shelf anywhere.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:33 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Quantico , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
If it has the original axle it should be replaced. The original axle was only good for about 3500#, and had obsolete hubs and brakes.

I replaced mine with a 5200# 4" drop axle from Dexter, and Nevr-adjust 12x2 brakes.

I also added one more leaf to the spring pack, but I was doing a total rebuild and added about 800# to the gross weight. You won't need that unless you have added tanks, A/C, new floor, and other upgrades.

Now anytime I need bearings, seals, or other brakes I can buy them off the shelf anywhere.
Yes. We also have added about 800lbs to the original 1959 empty weight. My concern is the metal fatigue in the spindles and it is near impossible to find new bearing seals and hub parts. I wNt to keep my leaf springs but improve the axle and drums. Ive contacted both andy and colin. Waiting for replies.
steveirving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:06 AM   #6
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveirving View Post

Yes. We also have added about 800lbs to the original 1959 empty weight. My concern is the metal fatigue in the spindles and it is near impossible to find new bearing seals and hub parts. I wNt to keep my leaf springs but improve the axle and drums. Ive contacted both andy and colin. Waiting for replies.
No disrespect to Colin or Andy, but you just need to go to a local spring and axle shop. They can rebuild your springs and add a leaf or two. You won't find new springs the right size at your local farm and fleet store.
You can order a new axle, hubs, brakes from any Dexster dealer, or have sthe spring shop order them.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote