Old 12-06-2015, 10:18 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
true story - I was on my way to Alumalina, but two days before a tire developed a leak, and so I huffed and I puffed and I changed it for the spare... and THEN I remembered I have Good Sam Roadside Assistance.

Then about half way to Alumalina I got the horrible "trailer disconnected" light. "OH my goodness gracious me" (or something like that issued from my rosebud lips) and I slowly reduced my speed and turned safely into a shopping center where I jumped out and to my horror found that my Hensley had sort of chewed up the connectors to the power cord extension (needed for a Hensley). I could put the cords back together but they'd just fall apart... and as I cast my eyes around frantically for something sturdy to hold the pieces together, my eyes finally fell on a roll of bright pink duct tape. By the time I was sure I had a sturdy safe connection I'd put about 10 yards of tape around the whole mess and mummified it like King Tut. A passerby came over to assist, then bless his dear heart - he went to Starbucks and brought back a latte for me. He also noted that if I used a short bungee cord I could suspend the mended cord from the bumper so that it wouldn't fall afoul of the Hensley during a sharpish turn - which was what caused the problem in the first place.

The moral of the story is of course -
1 Do rely on the kindness of strangers
2 laugh at yourself (enjoy the reaction from "men of Airstream" who just can't believe what a broad will do to a totally blameless Airstream.)
3 be flexible and creative. You will never anticipate every problem or situation. Think outside of the box - a high heel IS a hammer, a sewing machine IS a power tool!

HAVE FUN!
In your "morals" you forgot the most important one: Always carry plenty of duct tape!

Some bailing wire and WD-40 are also good to have handy.

Old 12-07-2015, 04:40 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2013 27' FB International
olney , Illinois
cool
got the longer extension cause I want to open the hatch on the tundra.
Nobody said that the 6 inch longer extension does anything to weight restrictions. And dubios that the Hensley guys with their more than 6 inches longer contraption say its unsafe to do so. Nothing against Hensley or Pro... and I do understand that their turning radius is magically move forward, despite a longer arm ... well. Its ok, I don't think I need to spend that kind of money and the weight distributing hitch from Equalizer has always treated me right.

Got safety road equipment ( 2 triangles and blinking light )
got level blocks for changing wheels, plus a pretty stout regular hydraulic lift inside the truck.
Duck tape ... ( need to get me some pink one , lol ) check

but good points for sure ....
Having bought the trailer at the very end of the season, and have her sitting in the warm warehouse, next to my work, makes me over- prepare..lol

Thanks Thor

Old 12-07-2015, 05:42 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have the shortest possible shank on my Equal-i-zer and I can still open the tailgate fully. This may be because of the type of trailer, Classic 30, and the particular brand of tongue jack, which I can't recall, but I have seen different brands/types of tongue jacks on different Airstream models.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:24 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Thor, just trying to help with the longer hitch extension, and because you asked for advice. We have had poor handling trailers and learned a lot of seemingly small issues add up to a be very significant. The problem is not about weight restrictions but handling, stronger trailer tongue side movements leveraged to your steering axle.

The Hensley/Proprides sit farther back because of the pivot point projection linkage which effectively causes the trailer tongue to pivot at the trucks rear axle. Trailer tongue side movements cannot be transferred forward from the receiver/ball position because the movements are not felt there, they are felt on the truck rear axle where they are stopped. Truck tailgate space comes with the design.

There are no free lunches, we with the Hensley/ProPride design pay extra for the benefits, accommodate the additional weight on the rear of the truck, and need greater weight distribution applied (due to longer length and as you will with the longer hitch extension) to achieve desirable weight transfer.

Please know my intentions are to help, not to promote a different hitch, but to offer sound advice based on our own experience as a fellow Airstreamer.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:44 PM   #19
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
In your "morals" you forgot the most important one: Always carry plenty of duct tape!

Some bailing wire and WD-40 are also good to have handy.
There are some other "Morals" here. When a sewing machine is a power tool, it often gets quilt maker duty. Quilts are personal and warm on a cold winter night. Not to mention they are great artistic décor. But the other point is that quilt makers quickly learn the value of tools. A quilt maker who values tools understands that tools are needed for other activities and knows that tools make wonderful gifts. Which brings us to Christmas. Which suggests several other colors of duct tape could be added to the pink stash. Red, green, silver, gold, and white all work well for the all important Christmas wrap. Pat
Old 12-07-2015, 11:46 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
I suspect that you are exactly right and it has to do with the AS tongue configuration. Our TV doors are restricted by the AS's Jack, which is pushed forward due to propane and battery "cabinets."

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I have the shortest possible shank on my Equal-i-zer and I can still open the tailgate fully. This may be because of the type of trailer, Classic 30, and the particular brand of tongue jack, which I can't recall, but I have seen different brands/types of tongue jacks on different Airstream models.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 12-08-2015, 07:30 AM   #21
GLCMRANGER - Sue

2016 25' International
Littlestown , Pennsylvania
Steamy1: I have a Tundra (with a topper) that will be pulling a 25 foot International. How are the Sumo springs working for you when loaded down and hitched up? Are they 1000 pound springs? More information is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:15 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by glcmranger View Post
Steamy1: I have a Tundra (with a topper) that will be pulling a 25 foot International. How are the Sumo springs working for you when loaded down and hitched up? Are they 1000 pound springs? More information is appreciated. Thanks.
I ordered: SSR-610-47

SumoSprings Solo Custom Helper Springs - Rear Axle - 1,500 lbs
from etrailer.

Much improved ride when the trailer with Equalizer Sway Control hitch was connected. took the somewhat "bouncy" sensation out of the vehicle. really helped with handling.
My Tundra is a CrewMax, and hitched up, with a topper, roof box, BBQ grill, Lafuma chairs, campfire-in-a-can, blueboy, misc tools, dog, wife, et al, I am about 300 pounds over the GVWR. I wanted to at least compensate with load range E tires and the Sumo springs.

Here is a picture of the Sumo Springs installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0597.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	228.9 KB
ID:	253546  
Old 12-08-2015, 04:00 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2013 27' FB International
olney , Illinois
sumo springs ordered :-)
next time around e tires for sure
you guys are the best
thor
Old 12-08-2015, 04:04 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Edit, as point has already been made.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:42 AM   #25
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
There are some other "Morals" here. When a sewing machine is a power tool, it often gets quilt maker duty. Quilts are personal and warm on a cold winter night. Not to mention they are great artistic décor. But the other point is that quilt makers quickly learn the value of tools. A quilt maker who values tools understands that tools are needed for other activities and knows that tools make wonderful gifts. Which brings us to Christmas. Which suggests several other colors of duct tape could be added to the pink stash. Red, green, silver, gold, and white all work well for the all important Christmas wrap. Pat
Wow.. a new idea (not serious).. how about a 'Duct tape quilt'... it is something a 'guy' can do?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:48 AM   #26
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Here is a nice addition... the cam locks I have used are the way to go..

https://www.etrailer.com/Plumbing/Li.../LC359724.html and you can cap the trailer end when storing.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:02 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thor, in reply to your general questions in the first post, I would suggest a thorough evaluation of your batteries, especially as colder winter sets in:

-- in service date
-- water level in each cell and specific gravity with hydrometer (correct term?)
-- confirm full charge coming from tow vehicle
-- battery readout correct on monitor
-- etc.

A lot of us who buy newish trailers assume that the batteries are OK, but it turns out that improper charging can ruin even a new battery quickly.

Bonnie's new thread We're Freezing is a recent one to consider, among the many many threads about newish battery problems:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...lp-144478.html

This sub-forum has other helpful threads:

http://www.airforums.com/foruums/f449/

Good luck with the new trailer!

Peter
Old 12-09-2015, 12:04 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Since tires have a time limited service life, especially the stock GYM ST tires, you should check the manufacture date on each tire sidewall. Our new 2014 Airstream had six month old tires installed by the factory. I was there when it was built and it arrived at the dealer about ten days after it was released from production. They were immediately replaced with 16" Michelin LT225/75R16/E LTX M/S2 tires and SenDel T03-66655T wheels.

Our end of model year 2015 23D built in September 2014 and delivered via truck to the dealer in early October had sat on their lot until July 2015 when I took delivery. The stock 14" GYM ST tires were eighteen months old. They were replaced before the trailer left the dealer lot with new 15" Michelin LTX (P) 235/75R15 XL tires mounted on SenDel T03-56545T wheels. Tire issues really solved.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote