Old 06-05-2015, 08:52 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1978 31' Sovereign
Cold Lake , Alberta
New Airstream! Now I need parts...

Hey guys!

First off, I just wanted to say that I'm glad this community exists. For many years I've been suffering from aluminium fever, and yesterday after much searching, reading, travelling and looking, I finally brought home my "new" 1978 Sovereign International 31'! Pictures to follow, but I'm happy to say that aside from some peeling clear coat and a couple of dents, she's pretty much all there and functional....

...pretty much! I'm missing 3 of the 4 stabilizer jacks as well as a few other trinkets. I've seen these things priced reasonably online, however all I can find is US sites, and living in Canada means I pay almost double the cost of the item in shipping. Does anybody have a good source for parts here in the great white north?

Thanks for all the help on this forum (in terms of an archive of very good information) allowing me to finally be part of the club!

Mikeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Canadian Amazon, the Walmart of the Internet

WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Exactly -
AIR 12148
1987 Excella 32-foot
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:34 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member
1973 27' Overlander
Fonthill , Ontario
Also, get to know your parts person at your local AS dealer. Sometimes the prices are comparable when you factor in exchange and shipping. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet.
Unka Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:10 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member
1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Welcome to the forum. Best thing I can suggest is to join the WBCCI unit in Alberta. Talking with other owners can be a wealth of information. Also watch the Kijijji ads. There is a fellow west of Red Deer that has a lot of NOS and used parts. A lot of the internal parts are not Airstream specific, like A/C and water heaters. Most of the hardware is also generic and can be sourced at a local RV dealer. Also, Ebay is a good source. Chris
WBCCI #7394
2002 Chev 2500 HD Duramax
1976 31' Gone but fondly remembered
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:00 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
jackson center , Ohio
CanAm in London Ontario is a great Dealership in Canada and should be able to answer any part question.
Schu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:25 PM   #7
Regular Guy
1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Welcome aboard! I have the same rig and it is awesome. The airstream classifieds are a great resource. What you cant find directly, place a want ad for what you need and someone will have it. I got my vanity light covers, complete set of curtains, front pull out bed, partition curtain and oven parts that way. I have used VTS for keeler lock parts. If yours is broken, I know the fix. PM me if you need help with any of the systems. Amazon Prime is hard to beat. Some non prime items can take months if you let them. Glad you're here!
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:13 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member
1978 31' Sovereign
Cold Lake , Alberta

thanks for all the replies! Living in a bit of a vortex of nothing in Northern Alberta, so the "local" dealer is about 4 hours away. Everything's the way it is...

Love the unit so far! Been doing a lot of cleaning. Surprisingly enough just about everything is there, including all the light covers! The original microwave is missing and the propane tanks need to be re-certified before I can test the LP system. Kinda afraid to start the old furnace up. Also need to replace a wing window, since the outer pane was broken - PO left me a new one. Fogged up windows and a musty smell, sounds like par for the course from what I've read.

Spent the weekend wrestling with a minor plumbing leak but it looks as though that is all sorted, save a faucet that leaks around the handle.

Gave her a bath tonight and aside from peeling clear coat and need for a polish, she's coming along nice. I'll post pics soon!
Mikeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:52 AM   #9
Regular Guy
1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
That musty smell in mine was the original carpet. Ugh. There was at least 3-4 lbs of dirt all the way through to the foam. Once you get everything scrubbed down with a citrus based cleaner for the 3rd time it will be much better. Opening everything that will open and airing it out will fix that. It may take a month or more.... There are two O rings on the Moen kitchen faucet. Remove the screw and handle assembly, pull the faucet up to remove and replace the O rings at the top and bottom of the cartridge holder. You probably will have to cut the old ones loose. I just did mine last week.

NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote