Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2019, 11:31 AM   #21
Land Cruiser

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Jackson , Texas
I had the same problem camped at Mississagi Provincial Park last month. Is this a weird northern Ontario problem? No. The cap on the in-line filter, just before the water pump inlet, was a bit loose. The cap is meant to be hand tightened but you need to get your hand firmly on the cap to tighten it enough. My in-line filter was hidden behind a hose and it took me awhile to find it. Then I had to lift up the offending hose to get my hand on the cap. If your pump is sucking air, it has to be a leak of some type between the pump and the water tank, unless the pump itself has a suction side leak. My money would be on the in-line filter.
Roland62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:56 AM   #22

ALTUS , Oklahoma
Tape and tighten

I had same problem. Fixed by putting plumbers tape on threads for input and output to pump then ensuring connections were tight.
Side note: all the pix connections are so tight and bound up I feel like the entire system is putting stress on itself.
Thinking about redoing all connects into and around the pump with shark bite connectors and stainless braided lines.
ordinarystan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:28 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Have you tried unscrewing the screens/aerator for each faucet to be sure they are not clogged. Last week on a fishing trip I still had antifreeze in the system. I hooked up to the campground water system and noticed my secondary pressure gauge was reading zero. I opened the bathroom faucets and realized my water heater was set to bypass. I fixed that and was only getting a little water flow. Time to open the WH pressure valve and air flowed through it then water. Back inside to the bathroom sink and no water. Unscrewed the aerator/screen and foamy water flowed until it cleared up. It seems to do this the beginning of Summer and it is probably sediment from the water heater. Check your bypass valves off the water to see if they are properly positioned (both pointing perpendicular out from the water heater.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:31 PM   #24
Link’s Travels

2002 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
1999 35' XL 350 w/slide
LINCOLN , Nebraska
Water Pump Problem

I bought my new trailer 6-29-2018. I have had similar problems with my water pump since then. Occasionally, it will work but usually just sucks air and sends air through the faucets. I prime the pump as designated above but doesn’t work but occasionally. Airstream gave up and said sometimes the pumps are defective so they sent me a new one. I haven’t put it in yet and continue struggling with the old one. I am usually hooked to city water so no problem there. Contact Airstream and tell them the situation; they may ship you a new one if you indicate you can install (it is not hard just an awkward place to get in to. Good luck!!
MissingLink5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:08 PM   #25
Deb N Jon

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Waterloo , Ontario
Update from our first post, CanAm got it in for repairs the same week we returned from up north. It was a defective pump, so they replaced it. As well they did some other minor adjustments that were covered by warranty. So we are back out again this week, so hopefully the problem is resolved for good. Appreciated all the input on possible solutions, great to have the forum.
1954 Heilite Pop Top camper
DebnJon is offline   Reply With Quote