Old 03-12-2008, 08:43 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
We look forward to seeing your progress.

rob

Old 03-12-2008, 08:51 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to AirstreamGypsy
Holy Smoke!

Wow! BoatDoc that is absolutely fabulous.

A truly great job and a great way to present it.

Waiting for the next installment.

Thanks!

My Earthship
AirstreamGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:25 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
It's great to see an old Argosy come back. You do such good work.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:53 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Boatdoc,

Nicely done! Great presentation. The info has been downloaded and saved. Thanks.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:29 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
Zep, kiss your own dang screwdriver...

Boatdoc, I'll be holding my cyber breath waiting for the end of the project.
I certainly enjoyed #1 and #2. What a craftsman. Stainless, wood, plastics, mild steel, I'm impressed and humbled still more.
Dave
Hi Dave;
Thank you for your compliment, which is much appreciated. I do not like to deviate that far from the subject of this thread, but I would like to know why some of us cannot realize the fact, that we cannot possibly be experts in every field. Our ability is depended on many things, which will differ from person to person and available resources, tools, etc.. Our personal pride from our achievements is judged by ourselves first for purpose of self gratification, but is is also at times wrongly judged by others in accordance to their level of capability and circumstances.

One's small accomplishments may have no meaning to a well equipped expert in that field, but it can mean whole lot to a individual who achieved it.
It is a part of human learning process which needs to be supported not destroyed by sarcasm. I happened to be in a good position by having all the necessary tools and a shop to be able to proceed. Others have minimal set of tools, and have to work outside being depended on the Mother Nature, as well as many other limitations. Small accomplishments by those individuals should be seen and judged by others from their shoes, not from the level of an expert with fully equipped shop. But even the expertise and well equipped shop, does not give anyone the right to make sarcastic remarks about their accomplishments. True ego free expert would offer help to that individual by suggesting better ways of doing it. But the question still remains. Does the person in need have the means and tools to follow their advise? Step into their shoes Mr, www.airstremdoctor.com.

In my case, having the shop and ALL possibly necessary tools I was handicapped in other area. To tell you the truth, the only Airstream I dug
into was the Argosy I have purchased. Aside of that, I have been in another one for ten minutes. Yet, I have accepted the challenge way beyond my expertise. Whatever I have accomplished, I am proud of, despite your sarcastic remarks. I am the one that had to plan ahead in steps as to what to do next, hoping not to make any costly mistakes. Yes I have made some small mistakes which needed to be corrected but for most part I had a plan which was on the straight and narrow without your expert advice, thank you.
Did some of you experts evolve overnight, or did you have to learn step by step as the rest of us do? The goal in our life should be to positively influence all of those who need encouragement, rather than think of yourself as the ONLY master of all trades, and that no one is better than you. Just by some chance, there may be a person that is better than you, at everything that you do. Thank you. "Boatdoc"
Old 03-13-2008, 08:34 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Apoligies offered for humor and admiration that was obviously not well conveyed. When a truly superior job is well documented, as yours is, I'm sure that more than one of us is awed and somewhat cowed by such a fine example. A project like yours is both an inspiration and, for some of us, a reality check. Thanks.

And I fully concur that one cannot have all the talents he wishes for, but should be satisfied in his or her happy Airstream vintage work.

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:43 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe
Love the look of it. So, what are you towing with - a customized 73 1/2 Suburban? VERY, VERY nice! How long have you been working on this?

Looking forward to File #3. Come on down to the CBR next month, or up to my Boon docking rally in central NY in June... would love to see this in person!

Rob
Hi Rob;
I intend to tow it with my 2006 Sierra 6L Gasser 2500 HD Crew Cab SLE with 6.5' bed and ARE top of the line cap, all in Sport Red. My Kubota tows it just fine, but I would have to start in April to be at your rally in June. It is almost a sure thing that we will be there in June if you remind me about it.
We started tearing it all down in winter of 06 stripped all interior and build a new frame. Work was stopped in the Spring of 07 till January 08. However during the summer and fall on hit and run basis 15 sheets of plywood was varnished with five coats, and the exterior was partially painted. Majority of work was done on full time basis in January and February of 2008. Thanks "Boatdoc"
Old 03-13-2008, 09:02 AM   #22
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Hey R

I was wondering when you were going to take a break and post a few pics. VERY NICE indeed. I pretty much agree with your thoughts on doing stuff. If more folks would just give it a go they would be surprised at what they could accomplish.
Only 5 coats of varnish?? lol
did you try the foam brush for tipping out or stick with badger?
Tim

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:18 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner
Hey R

I was wondering when you were going to take a break and post a few pics. VERY NICE indeed. I pretty much agree with your thoughts on doing stuff. If more folks would just give it a go they would be surprised at what they could accomplish.
Only 5 coats of varnish?? lol
did you try the foam brush for tipping out or stick with badger?
Tim
Hi Tim; Tipping off was done with painters pad. Got more pics to post. As usual it is nice to hear from you. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
Old 03-13-2008, 12:24 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium
Apologies offered for humor and admiration that was obviously not well conveyed. When a truly superior job is well documented, as yours is, I'm sure that more than one of us is awed and somewhat cowed by such a fine example. A project like yours is both an inspiration and, for some of us, a reality check. Thanks.

And I fully concur that one cannot have all the talents he wishes for, but should be satisfied in his or her happy Airstream vintage work.

Zep
Hi Zep; I do sincerely apologize, if I misunderstood your comments. It surely sounded to me as criticism for blowing my own horn. If that is the case, please accept my apology. Thank you "Boatdoc"
Old 03-13-2008, 01:03 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
1970 23' Safari
Lambertville , Michigan
Ugh!!! The suspense is killing me!! Hurry up with that final installment.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:17 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdoc
Hi Tim; Tipping off was done with painters pad. Got more pics to post. As usual it is nice to hear from you. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
what the heck is "tipping off?"

...and nice to be friends again!

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:30 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I'm a newbie to the Airstream Forums, but I'm no stranger at all to message boards, going all the way back to a BBS that I ran off my Apple IIe from my parents' house back in 1985, using a 300 baud acoustic modem on their main telephone line (boy did they ever get tired of me tying up their phone line! ).

And I can say that in all that time, it has always been frighteningly easy to misconstrue the meaning and intent of a printed text message on a computer screen. Without tone of voice, facial expressions, body posture, and other visual and verbal cues, it's just very difficult to determine the tone of a particular communication. I certainly didn't read anything sarcastic into Zep's post, but there's no telling how individuals might read something at any given moment.

I know some people don't like them, but this is precisely why early text-based computer users invented the "smileys" and it's why I use them to this day, even though they seem kind of juvenile.

Anyway, back to the point of this post-- I'm really looking forward to Installment #3. Boatdoc, you're doing some great work, and I'll be very interested to see how your finished product looks when you complete your project.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:48 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium
what the heck is "tipping off?"

...and nice to be friends again!

Zep
Hi Zep: Term [tipping off] describes a final step in painting with roller or brush where after the initial application of the coat, paint is leveled off by long and light uniform strokes with a tip of the brush. This term can also apply to leveling of the freshly applied paint coat with other instruments such as Painters Pad or foam brush. Thanks, "Boatdoc"